1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

League Penalizes Redskins/Cowboys Cap-Space

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by The LBC, Mar 12, 2012.

1. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter

From PFT:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...year-could-be-coming-back-to-haunt-some-teams

Schefter again:

And Schefter one more time!:

And NBC Sports with a little extra info:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...es-about-not-dumping-salary-in-uncapped-year/

So... we got more cap room! :D... because Jerruh and Danny couldn't resist trying to abuse the system.

2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    The extra 1.6M in salary cap isn't the real news for us. The real news is that the Redskins, who were going to go hard for Jackson, just got a huge knee to the crotch in their available resources to do so. I think the VJ sweepstakes just got reduced to SD, NE, TB, and Chi.

3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I don't know that the Pats are really all that big of a player. They've got their own WR that's going to be demanding 4/$36-42 million, plus they've got Brandon Lloyd on record as saying he's quite fond of the idea of following Josh McDaniels and his system. That likely puts New England out of the high-priced FA WR market.

TB - yeah, we'll see... honestly the only way I see VJ going there is if he's really only about the $ because Freeman at QB is an unproven commodity, but no state tax in Florida is obviously a perk. I've seen reports that Cortland Finnegan has been texting/calling VJ trying to attach himself to Vincent as some sort of package deal (with a mind to potentially signing with Tampa), but this just strikes me as Finnegan trying to latch onto coat-tails to spike his own stock. If VJ is at all competitive (i.e. wants to win) I hardly see how Greg Schiano and the Bucs are all that appealing.

Chicago - Yes, a definite threat. They don't have the cap space that the other teams do, but their new GM has a major hard-on for getting a marquee WR. I think Chicago is to VJ what Jacksonville was to Weddle last year; could we potentially see a different outcome? Sure. But I think if the money is anywhere in the same ballpark between our two teams, VJ will be back wearing Bolts because I highly doubt his California-native wife is all that keen on a move to Chicago.

Jacksonville - Another dark horse, but in a similar boat to Tampa - though I do think their new owner is far more likely to just go gonzo with the checkbook than the Glazers in Tampa are. Thing is... what about how Blaine Gabbert played last season would inspire any confidence in VJ to leave Rivers behind?

4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    The only reason I look at the Patriots is because they loved having a productive Moss in 2007, and I could see them being competitive, plus the Ring factor.

To me it breaks down to 3 teams, each of which has different things going for them.

TB=$$$ and nothing else.
    NE=Ring
    SD=Happy wife and playing in a system he knows with a QB he has great chemistry with.

I think NE is more likely to use their 31st overall on trying to sign Mike Wallace though, he'd probably be significantly less expensive than Jackson.