1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Legedu Naanee was arrested in Indianapolis

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SDRaiderH8er, Feb 14, 2011.

1. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/feb/14/chargers-naanee-arrested-indy/

Chargers wide receiver Legedu Naanee was arrested in Indianapolis early Saturday and charged with public intoxication and resisting arrest.

According to police, Naanee came across an active crime scene at about 3:20 a.m. and was told he would have to turn around or go in another direction. Naanee, who according to police had a “strong odor of an alcoholic beverage on or about his breath or person,” asked the officer why he was being “such an (expletive).”

The police officer said after several attempts to get Naanee to leave the scene failed, he told Naanee he was under arrest. Naanee “actively began to pull away” and the officer used pepper spray but Naanee continued to resist.

Eventually he was handcuffed and as he was being walked to the police car, Naanee said, according to police, “Do you know who I am? I am an NFL player and I’m going to sue your ***.”

Two men, one of whom the police believed to be Naanee’s agent, approached and asked the police to release Naanee. “One gentleman told me I was going to ruin his career,” the officer said.

Naanee's agent, Buddy Baker, could not be reached for comment. The Chargers released a statement saying, “We’re disappointed to hear about the issue involving Legedu. We’ll monitor the situation and let the legal process run its course.”

Naanee, 27, has played four seasons for the Chargers and made 63 catches and scored three touchdowns. He's expected to be a free agent (pending the new Collective Bargaining Agreement) and with his history of injury and the Chargers wanting to keep Vincent Jackson and Malcom Floyd, he has been considered questionable to return to the club

2. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Sounds like his return will be even more questionable.

3. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    these guys just dont get it. And now we have another player with alcohol issues.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'll reserve judgment until the UA comes back.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Eventually he was handcuffed and as he was being walked to the police car, Naanee said, according to police, “Do you know who I am? I am an NFL player and I’m going to sue your ***.”

I'm sorry Legedu but a cop in Indianapolis doesn't know a Chargers wide receiver nor does he or any other cop give a crap who you are or think you are. Why do celebrities always feel the need to say "do you know who i am?" when being arrested, is that supposed to make the cop say "Oh crap it's you, now that I know that please continue violating the law to your heart's content while I go squeal with delight at meeting a guy who was injured half the year and didn't perform as expected".

And no Mr Naane, your a soon to be former San Diego Charger. You are the weakest link, goodbye

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Alcohol issues? Can't really say that just yet. He wasn't driving and cops typically won't arrest you for public intoxication unless you're being a d!ck, which it sounds like Naanee was. From another source:

Deadspin, Sports News without Access, Favor, or Discretion

7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,737

Okay, new play... 11 Right, 83 Split, Red Bull, Vodka, Fly Post Bevmo quick out, on three hiccups...

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
  9. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    WTF?? Wasn't he in trouble just a few months ago?

10. scottbbo1

scottbbo1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    umm..I'm supposed to defend him huh? damn...uhh..we need to hear both sides of the story before rushing to judgement. and Legs is a pretty good #4 reciever.

11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'm gonna be the first to bet the cops story and what actually happened are two different things.

Naanee just called this guy an **** for no reason? Sounds unlikely. All the cop has to do is say he smelled alcohol and Naanee is guilty in the court of public opinion.

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The alcohol charge looks legit on the surface because he failed to knuckle under to the pepper spray. barging into an active crime scene is not something I figure a sober dude, even an NFL player, would do. His agent being with him makes this whole thing even dumber looking, since one would think that an agent would keep one of his meal tickets out of trouble. How stupid can these guys actually get, anyway? Since he isn't accused of a violent crime and this is nought but a misdemeanor, it would be counterproductive to just cut him loose.

13. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    people say and do stupid **** when they're drunk.

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Not everybody has to be drunk to do stupid ****.

I just want to hear that he failed the stupid blow test, or the urine analysis, or couldn't recite the alphabet backwards before I close the book on him. This seems unlike Legs.

15. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Nice on Legs, you stumble accross a crime scene that had absolutely nothing to do with you and then proceed to get yourself arrested. Wally.

16. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    He wasn’t driving, so why would he have to take a sobriety test. I could see a Drunk in Public count thrown at him. But the question still remains, why did he go into a crime like that? Maybe he was so sh**faced, he was drawn into all the blinking lights.

17. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I'm still a Legadu supporter and am not judging till all the facts come out. It sounds very strange...

18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I agree with all of that. Why would a guy with no prior history (that we know if) of drinking problems or violence suddenly go apeshit on a cop?

19. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    No. An NFL player is what you are.

Who you are is a petulant child.

20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I think his days with the Chargers are over.

21. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Legadu, when we said we want you to be like VJ we meant on the field not off.

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I just find the possibility of someone being drunk and doing the stupid **** described in the first post to be a more feasible possibility than the notion of the cops arbitrarily deciding to arrest somebody and claim that he was drunk and disorderly.

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    How well do we really know Naanee? Just because he doesn't have a rap sheet doesn't mean he's been an angel his whole life.

None of us knew VJ had drinking problems before the DUIs started rolling in.

24. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Can I just clarify something, the cop is saying he delivered two knee strikes to Naanees right side, am I reading this correct?

Is the cop allowed to do that?

25. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Guilty until proven innocent... Its the BoltTalk way... :lol:

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I'm pretty sure cops are authorized to use force when someone is trying to resist arrest.

Of course, it depends on the situation. If the knee strikes helped keep him from resisting then they're ok. If he was already under control and they just did it anyways then it's not ok.

Unfortunately, that kind of thing usually comes down to the cops' word versus the person being arrested's word.

27. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'd say the Indy police share as much fault in this episode as Naanee does. How in hell does a dude walking done the street drunk or sober enter into a homicide scene? Where was the perimeter guard to make sure no one exits or enters the scene like the suspect? How can they preserve the scene in just anyone can just come and go as they please?? Yes, cops can be assholes, especially after a full shift and now working overtime cause some pimp, hooker or pusher just got capped for their nights take.

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Cops can be assholes, sure. But nobody does something shady if there's nothing in it to benefit them. What do two random cops have to gain from arbitrarily arresting somebody of a misdemeanor if he wasn't truly being drunk and disorderly?

They did apparently drop the ball in guarding the perimeter of the crime scene, though.

29. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    then we would have to ask a lawyer, did Naane contaminate a homicide crime scene?

30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Not at all, the cops will just say in never happened.