1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Lelie skips minicamp

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buttmunch, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Buttmunch

Buttmunch New Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Disgruntled Broncos receiver Lelie skips minicamp
    By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

Still hoping to force a trade before the start of training camp, disgruntled wide receiver Ashley Lelie skipped the Denver Broncos' mandatory minicamp session on Thursday and is expected to boycott the entire three-day event.

Denver is the last team in the NFL to convene a mandatory minicamp before training camp starts.

The absence of Lelie, who is unhappy over his role with the Broncos, the offseason acquisition of wide receiver Javon Walker, and apparently his contract, was expected. The four-year veteran, the subject of trade rumors through much of the offseason, had previously boycotted all 14 of the Broncos' voluntary organized team activities (OTAs) workouts and had publicly reiterated his desire to move on.

Lelie, 26, was a first-round choice in the 2002 draft, the 19th player chosen overall that year, and the former University of Hawaii standout was a full-time starter the past two seasons.

For his career, Lelie has appeared in 64 games and started 40 contests, and has recorded 168 receptions for 3,007 yards and 12 touchdowns. He led the league in average yards per reception each of the last two years, at 20.1 yards in 2004 and 18.3 yards in 2005, among players with more than 40 catches.

But after enjoying a career season in 2004, with 54 catches for 1,084 yards and seven touchdowns, Lelie's numbers fell off last year, when he posted 42 receptions for 770 yards and only one touchdown.

A longstrider and deep threat, Lelie has 53 catches for 20 yards or more and 18 receptions of 40-plus yards in his career, but is prone to lapses in concentration and to bouts of inconsistency. Although the Broncos have attempted to deal him during the offseason, they have found no one willing to meet their asking price.

The Broncos already have 11-year veteran Rod Smith on hand and Walker, who is rehabilitating from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, is expected to be completely recovered for the beginning of camp, and projected as the other starter. That leaves Lelie as the No. 3 wideout at best and the Broncos have a number of younger players they feel can fill that role.

Lelie is entering the final year of his original rookie contract and is due a base salary of $600,000. Because he is under contract, he can be fined for missing the mandatory minicamp. If Lelie follows through on his threat to sit out training camp, which begins July 28, he will also be subject to daily fines for those absences. There is a possibility the Broncos could attempt to recover a prorated share of the $3.3 million signing bonus that Lelie received in 2002.

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Good.

Anything that disrupts the fillet of Mule tool lovers is alright by me. :tup:

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    So, the Broncos have the Gimp and the Wimp for WR. :lol:

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Broncos | Lelie will not participate in mandatory workouts
    Thu, 6 Jul 2006 05:50:08 -0700

Lee Rasizer, of the Rocky Mountain News, reports Denver Broncos WR Ashley Lelie is boycotting the team's mandatory workouts and is subject to fines. He can be penalized under the NFL Players' Association guidelines a maximum of $11,641 for missing the three-day camp. "It's kind of hard sitting back and watching and being out of football," Lelie said. "It gives me a whole different perspective on everything. I miss it. And watching things makes me more hungry to be on the field."

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Broncos | R. Smith offers some advice to Lelie
    Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:52:36 -0700

Andrew Mason, of DenverBroncos.com, reports Denver Broncos WR Rod Smith offered some advice to WR Ashley Lelie after Lelie did not attend the team's mandatory minicamp Thursday, July 6. "The advice I'm going to give is that I'm going to kick his a-- because he hasn't called me back," Smith said. "That's the advice I'm going to give; so when I see him, I'm going to smack him. He's in town; I called him and we were supposed to have lunch, and it wasn't about football. I just wanted to see how he was doing, and for some reason, we didn't connect. I really wanted to just talk to him and see how he's doing, not from a football standpoint, but (because) I care about him as a person."

:lol: :icon_banana: :lol:

6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Looks like the Denver WR situation has crashed and burned in the span of a week. :lol:

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    SAUERBRUN SUSPENDED FOR FOUR GAMES

Two league sources tell us that Broncos punter Todd Sauerbrun has been suspended by the NFL for four games, for violation of the league's policy regarding steroids. Sauerbrun, we're told, tested positive for ephedra.

The NFL began testing for ephedra after the death of Vikings offensive lineman Korey Stringer. As Mike Freeman (then of the New York Times) explained in 2003, team lawyers contended in defending against a wrongful death lawsuit that ephedra was a factor in Stringer's demise; Stringer's family denied that ephedra played a role in his passing.

Last year, Sauerbrun was identified as a recipient of steroids from Dr. James Shortt during Sauerbrun's stint with the Carolina Panthers. Sauerbrun told the AP in October 2005 that the stigma regarding the steroid issue "won't go away as long as I'm in the NFL."

An 11-year veteran, Sauerbrun has punted for the Bears, Chiefs, Panthers, and Broncos. He was elected to the Pro Bowl in 2002, 2003, and 2004, and he is the punter of the PFT 2006 All-Turd Team.

It's not known at this point whether Sauerbrun has exhausted any available appeals, which could delay the implementation of the suspension.

The other punters on the Broncos' roster are rookie Jeff Williams of Adams State and Tyler Fredrickson of Cal, who is listed as a punter and a kicker. Look for the team to add a veteran punter who'll be able to handle the chores if/when Sauerbrun serves his four-game sit, and possibly beyond.

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The virus is spreading in Denver. :lol:

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I love it !!! :icon_mrgreen: :thumbup:

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Broncos | Police and courts: J. Plummer
    Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:40:39 -0700

The Associated Press reports prosecutors offered Denver Broncos QB Jake Plummer a plea deal Thursday, July 6, to settle municipal charges in an alleged road rage incident, according to a police spokesman. "An offer was made, and Jake's attorney was going to discuss it with his client," police investigator John Hoehler said. Another pre-trial conference in the case was scheduled for Aug. 3.

:icon_rofl: - I had already heard about it so why not pile it on.

11. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    :lol:

So, here's what we got regarding "Things to do in Denver when you're dead":

1.) One WR wants to kick the other's ***.

2.) Another new WR still gimpy, but with a fatty contract.

3.) A punter with an abnormally large kicking leg due to hanging out with Barry Bonds.

4.) A starting QB taking a plea deal.

Yup, lack of oxygen in Mile High sure do cause people to do stupid shite.

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    :icon_mrgreen: :tup:

Broncos | Sauerbrun suspended for drug use
    Fri, 7 Jul 2006 10:16:39 -0700

Updating previous reports, ESPNews reports Denver Broncos P Todd Sauerbrun has been suspended for four games by the NFL. Sauerbrun tested positive for the performance-enhancing drug ephedra, a violation of the league's drug policy.

13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2512311

DENVER -- Broncos punter Todd Sauerbrun was suspended for the first month of the season after testing positive for the banned supplement ephedra, a person close to the player said Friday.

Sauerbrun will miss the first four regular-season games if his expected appeal is denied, said the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity to The Associated Press because the NFL has not announced the suspension.

Sauerbrun was brought in from Carolina before last season and is attending Denver's three-day minicamp this week. He was not immediately available for comment.

The NFL banned ephedra, a dietary supplement, after the death of Minnesota Vikings offensive tackle Korey Stringer during training camp in 2001. Players are tested and can be suspended after the first violation.

In South Carolina, Dr. James Shortt faces a July 17 sentencing in federal court after admitting he conspired to illegally prescribe steroids to NFL players. Federal prosecutors have not identified any of the eight players, but say they have audiotaped conversations between Shortt and Sauerbrun and other Panthers players.

Sauerbrun led the NFC in punting from 2001 to 2003, the only player since the NFL merger in 1970 to lead a conference in punting average for three consecutive seasons.

By the time reports linked him to Shortt, Carolina was looking to trade him after a series of on- and off-field distractions, including a drunken driving arrest and fines for being overweight.

Sauerbrun was a second-round draft pick of the Chicago Bears in 1995 and he showed up at training camp with the personalized license plate "HANGTIME." He was traded to Kansas City and then to Charlotte.

In Denver last season, he won a player of the week award and even forced a fumble with a tackle against New England.

In 2003, Broncos safety Lee Flowers was suspended for the first four games of the regular season after testing positive for ephedra, which speeds the heart rate and constricts blood vessels. He blamed it on a vitamin he took.

14. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Fruck the Broncos; they can suck the ball sweat off a goat's sack in 100 degree heat for all I care. I hope it all comes apart for Shanarat Bastard.

15. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851

"Vitamins" ??????

I sure would like him to show the vitamin that contained the amount of ephedra that was in his system. :lol:

16. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    After cheap shotting Jamal, these bastards almost overtook the Raiders for hate with me. Fuggem both in the heart.

17. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Sweet justice would be Jamal knocking a RB out of bounds and right into Shanarat, who suffers a blown knee. But that's just me.... :icon_mrgreen:

18. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    BRONCOS COULD PLAY HARDBALL WITH LELIE, SAUERBRUN

With receiver Ashley Lelie skipping out on a mandatory minicamp and punter Todd Sauerbrun facing a four-game suspension for ephedra, the Denver Broncos might choose to play hardball with either or both players, and the situations could help to shed light on key questions regarding the application of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement language regarding the forfeiture of bonus payments.

In each case, the language of the player contract will be the starting point. Because more and more contracts negotiated in and before 2005 contain terms giving teams broad powers to attempt to recover bonus payments, it's possible if not likely that both deals include specific provisions requiring money to be paid back in the event that the player fails or refuses to attend a mandatory activity or is suspended for violation of the substance abuse or steroid policy.

The next question is whether the Broncos will be inclined to enforce the terms of the contract. Based on past examples (e.g., Dale Carter and Eddie Kennison), the Broncos don't have a track record of treading lightly in this regard.

So then the issue is whether and to what extent any enforcement efforts are limited by the "Term Sheet" created by the NFL and the NFLPA as a result of negotiations culminating in a revised CBA. As to Lelie, the Term Sheet purports to limit signing bonus forfeitures to 25 percent of the allocation for the year in question. As to Sauerbrun, the Term Sheet prohibits forfeitures based on violations of the substance abuse and steroid policies. At last word, the NFL and the union were negotiating whether and to what extent these new restrictions will apply to pre-existing deals; the Term Sheet is ambiguous at best on this point.

The bottom line for Lelie and Sauerbrun is that they could end up facing price tags stiffer than a four-figure fine for skipping minicamp and the loss of four game checks, respectively. In Lelie's case, his $3.3 million signing bonus equates to a $660,000 bonus allocation for 2006. For Sauerbrun, his $1.65 million signing bonus paid by the Panthers in 2003 translates into a $330,000 allocation this year. (And as Ricky Williams learned in 2004, the fact that a former team paid the signing bonus doesn't prevent the current team from trying to recover a big chunk of it.)

Sauerbrun will lose nearly that much if his suspension is upheld, in light of his $1.395 million salary. At a per-game rate of $82,000, the veteran punter will lose $328,000 in base salary.

In either case, the Broncos will be required to file a grievance in order to get the ball rolling.

19. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The Broncos are down to one healthy and willing WR-> Rod Smith.

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    This will be very fun indeed
    Tatum Bell and Ron Dayne aren't going anywhere! :yes:

21. Buttmunch

Buttmunch New Member

Ratings:
    +108
    OUCH......this is getting uglier. You better believe Lelie will have something to say about his rat of a coach's comments.

Shanahan: Lelie no-show a 'bad decision'
    Associated Press

DENVER (AP) - Mike Shanahan knows just the place receiver Ashley Lelie could compete for the No. 1 job he covets so much that he's boycotting the Broncos' minicamp: Denver.

"If you want to compete to be the No. 1 guy, why not be here? Why not be here in camp?" Shanahan said after the Broncos began their three-day practice session Thursday. "If you're afraid of competing against a No. 1 guy who's 35 years old (in Rod Smith)? :icon_rofl:

"I don't think you're going to find a better scenario than what he has here."

Lelie wants to be a featured pass-catcher in somebody's offense and is convinced he'll never get that opportunity in Denver. He wasn't pleased with the Broncos' interest in Terrell Owens over the winter and declined to attend the club's offseason conditioning program, forgoing a $100,000 contract incentive to work out instead in Tempe, Ariz.

Ironically, during the winter and spring he worked out with former Pro Bowl receiver Javon Walker, who joined the Broncos in a draft-day trade from Green Bay. Walker, who missed most of last season with a torn knee ligament, has a lucrative new contract that will kick in next March if his comeback goes well in 2006.

Lelie, who is entering the final season of the rookie contract he signed as the 19th overall pick in 2002, had 42 catches for 770 yards and one TD last year, numbers that were down from 2004, when he racked up 1,084 yards and seven touchdowns on 54 receptions.

"We drafted him as a No. 1 draft choice. We would love him to be the No. 1 wide receiver. That's why we drafted him No. 1. He's done some good things for us. I think there's still a big upside for him. I just think he's making a bad decision," Shanahan said.

"It would be different if people were beating down the walls to get him, but they're not," Shanahan said. "Why not come in here and try to do what you can do and make a name for yourself at a place that drafted you No. 1?"

Lelie and his agent, Peter Schaffer, say there's nothing new in their stance: Lelie wants a trade.

Smith said he wants Lelie to return to Denver: "I can't tell anybody else how to go and handle their business. I just want to see him in the football camp. I would rather see him on a football field with us."

Shanahan isn't ready to give up on Lelie.

"He'd still have an opportunity here if he decided to come back," Shanahan said. "I'm not saying I wouldn't be a little tougher on him - I'm just joking."

But he's serious about fining him.

Lelie could be out as much as $12,000 for missing the three days of workouts. Once training camp starts later this month, he could be fined $6,000 for each day he stays away.

"I really haven't been reaching out, to be honest with you. Because he won't return my phone calls," Shanahan said.

With Lelie absent and Walker limited, several young receivers have gotten plenty of chances to impress the coaches during the offseason workouts, and third-year pro Darius Watts has taken advantage.

Walker ran routes Thursday but won't face defensive backs until training camp.

"He looks like he's in pretty good shape," Shanahan said. "He's making some strides. He did most of the drill work. We didn't do any team work with him. I think he could have. But we have a plan over the next three weeks to keep working him like he's working now and hopefully, by the first day of camp, he's ready to go full speed."

22. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Since Shanarat's got Denver's full support, I'd think a #2 WR (now #3) vs the HC is a losing proposition for the player.

:icon_mrgreen:

23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Broncos sign free agent linebackerAssociated Press
    National Football League News Wire

DENVER -- Free-agent linebacker T.J. Hollowell signed a two-year contract with the Denver Broncos on Saturday.

The third-year pro has appeared in six regular-season games, two with the New York Jets last season and four in 2004 with the New York Giants, who signed him as an undrafted free agent out of Nebraska.

Hollowell spent the final five weeks of last season on the Chicago Bears' practice squad and also was on the active roster of the Miami Dolphins last season.

In four years at Nebraska, Hollowell had 173 tackles (76 solo), 3.5 sacks, two interceptions, one fumble recovery and one forced fumble.

24. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Looks like he's second string material at best. Who knows, we might see him in rotation once or twice versus us.