1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Less of a Rivers fan

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Jan 6, 2016.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    What else did you expect him to say?

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    What did you expect? He supported Norv, when that was unpopular with the fans too. I fail to see how this is any different. Most people don't like a lot of upheaval in their workplace, which the firing of the HC would obvious bring. It just sounds like Rivers being consistent to me. He has a different perspective than the fans.

4. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,024
    I am not and have not been (for a while) as enamored with Philip as some others. Personally speaking, he chokes under pressure and not 100% of that blame can be, or must be, placed on the offensive and offensive line woes.

I do think that he has been an elite QB, but his prowess has been waning with age (who hasn't) and he is someone who will be more invaluable to another NFL team which is "almost there" with all the other components in place, other than a QB. If I were Houston or the Jets, I'd really be looking to make a deal with the Chargers and get Philip to void that no-trade clause!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    But comparing McYoc to Cowher?! :eek:

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Ah yes. :D How much time and energy I wasted making that argument to people who thought there was no possible way an NFL QB could be wrong regarding anything to do with his coach.

"He's a quarterback" they said "excuse me if I choose to take his word over yours." They said.

Good times.:coffee:

• Like Like x 1
  7. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    My problem is that he knows that McCoy and his system sucks and yet won't use his influence for the betterment of the team. Now if he only cares about padding stats and having more control of changing plays at the line then fine keep the *** at the expense of losing.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I personally don't get all the idolizing of Cowher. It took him a very long time to actually win a Super Bowl. If he was anywhere other than Pittsburgh, he never would've lasted long enough to get that chance.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    As the QB, he does actually have firsthand experience working with McCoy.... something none of the fans do. Obviously, he's going to have a different perspective.

But really, does anyone expect him to just be totally honest about the HC? The guy is going to be here, and Rivers has to work with the guy. As the team leader, he has to try to make things work regardless. I seriously don't get why people would be surprised by his public comments. I would frankly be very surprised if he chose to criticize McCoy publicly.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    How could you know any of what you just wrote? Do you know what Rivers says behind the scenes? Do you have a mole in the meeting rooms and locker room? I really would love to hear how you know that all Rivers cares about is "padding his stats. "

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    There was not one thing that he said in that nearly 21 minute interview that was remotely objectionable even if you didn't agree with every point.

For me, Rivers' comments about the team losing by only one score many times and that they could have been a 10 win team represents a pipe dream mentality given the team's very, very obvious lack of talent. But that's his opinion.

His point about Cowher was that sometimes it takes time for a HC to win in the NFL, which is absolutely correct. Cowher didn't win a Super Bowl until his 14th season as an NFL HC. That was the extent of his commentary on Cowher. It was not a coaching comparison between Cowher and McCoy.

Paraphrasing another point he made, he also indicated that he did not agree with the kneejerk approach of simply blaming the HC for everything. The team continued to play hard and didn't give up, but they were overmatched due to injuries and lack of ability, neither of which is the HC's fault.

Further, he mentioned that there is no guarantee that a new coach would be any better than one that leaves. So he tends to disagree with the approach of some teams that replace their coach every few years.

Also, he noted that his support for McCoy reflected what he believed to be in the best interest of the team, but acknowledged that McCoy remaining as HC also lined up well with his career arc and own selfish interests. You seem to have missed the half of his discussion on the subject that noted that keeping McCoy was in the best interest of the team in his opinion.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    That SB was the most lopsided ref jobs I have ever seen. Seahawks got jobbed in that one.

That was a gift for Bettis and Cowher.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    No, he does not know that at all. In fact, he seems to believe in the system, but repeatedly mentioned that the team simply could not run the ball effectively all year long, which took away from what the team was trying to do on offense.

The team couldn't run the ball because the OL sucks, the rookie RB was out of his depth at times in terms of the play speed of the NFL, and the GM decided not to bring back Mathews, who has proven ability to succeed as a RB in the NFL.

It didn't help that the GM also failed to keep Royal and downgraded him with Johnson, making the WR unit even slower and less explosive as a whole than they already were.

Franklin was total bust at LG. Watt is a bust of a draft pick. Robinson is overmatched. On passing plays, Franklin and Watt/Robinson constantly were beaten causing the pocket to collapse into Rivers all too frequently.

These are not systemic issues, but rather issues of the players sucking.

The team lost this year because the players on both sides of the ball suck to a great degree. There is not a coach alive or dead that would have made this year's team even a .500 team.

14. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Lmao.

I can't with this guy. Every single thread includes a post from you about the GM or Telesco. Just shut it already, we all get it, Telesco sucks.

By the way, what exactly did Royal do this year in Chicago in a similar offense? Oh yeah, 9 games, 37 receptions for 237 yards and 1 TD .. WOOOOOO WEEEEE!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    I don't disagree with your sentiment and I certainly do not idolize The Chin at all. However, it is much more accurate to compare Marvin Lewis to The Chin as opposed to McYoc who has just been demonstrably woeful on all fronts!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  16. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    Apparently, some of you want to dream that this team would somehow be great if there were another coach.

Those of you with that philosophy continue to overlook that Telesco has stripped the team of a great deal of talent by letting productive players walk, wasting money on questionable re-signings and bad free agent acquisitions and by continuously and unnecessarily wasting draft picks as if they didn't matter at all.

The notion that the Chargers are somehow a playoff team in hiding, but that McCoy coached them out of it has got to be the most idiotic ongoing sentiment expressed on this forum.

As to Royal, I swear, you have the wrong approach in examining virtually every issue. Your consistency in that respect is impressive.

Why would I look at what Royal did for Chicago and try to project that into a hypothetical 2015 season with the Chargers when I have his actual 2014 season stats with the team--62 receptions, 778 yards, 7 TDs--to consider? That makes no sense. If anything, had Royal remained with the Chargers his numbers may have been even better this year than in 2014 with an ineffective Floyd, an injured Allen, a cut Jones, and the rest of the scrubs calling themselves WRs.

17. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    I read your post and didn't get irked an iota by your repetitious and nauseating incessant Telesco is cr*p mantra. Why? Because I really don't give a sh*t anymore. The team missed its golden window of opportunities from 2006-2009 and it has been both a team and organization in slide and decline. Now have at it and keep repeating everything which you have over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over ...... till you fulfill you lil heart's desire :tup:

18. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    Well, you forgot the part about knowing that what I have said is true.

I still can't believe that we are discussing McCoy as a bad coach in the face of the "Norv Turner anvil". Now there was a coach that lost games for his team. It is incomprehensible how people can't see the difference between the talent level that Norv had at his disposal and what little he did with it and how McCoy, while not a great coach in my eyes either, is having to compete with so much less talent than we have ever had in more than a decade.

This is the same guy that went 9-7 twice, once with a bottom 5-10 defense against both the run and pass. Is the argument really that he suddenly forgot how to coach?

IMO, the more accurate characterization is that McCoy overachieved somewhat in 2013 and 2014 and that Telesco had a really bad year in 2015 where most of his decisions ended up producing horrible results and that most of us (who are on record predicting a favorable season for the team, myself included) did not fully appreciate just how bad the moves were until the debacle unfolded before our eyes.

I will be the first to admit that I thought extending Flowers a good thing, that Franklin was a good addition and that we would not miss Royal as much as we did. But if we are going to give Telesco credit for moves like Dunlap where it appeared at first glance that he had his head up his backside for adding a player that Eagles fans called "Duncrap", then he also has to get the blame for moves that looked promising when made, but that didn't pan out.

And, of course, he gets the blame for moves that were obviously idiotic when they were made (e.g., failure to re-sign Mathews for very little money plus trading up and using three picks, including a first round pick, to get Gordon).

19. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    In what universe is a player supporting his (re: not our) coach selfish?

I wanted McCoy gone as much as anybody but let's not forget that at the end of the day we're just fans and that players tend to form bonds with their coaches. These aren't robots we're talking about.

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    1. Why do you assume he "knows" the system sucks? How do you know he doesn't think it is good and that there aren't other factors (to include his own execution) that have factored into the failure?

2. Even if he does think it sucks how do you know he isn't using his influence for the betterment of the team? All you know from that link is that he isn't publicly throwing his coach under the bus....which isn't exactly something I want to see our QB doing.

• Useful Useful x 1
  21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    But he has that scowl, which makes him tough and gritty!

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Are you saying Chaincrusher is to Telesco what BOLTS4LIFE was to AJ Smith and Norv? :roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    The lisp and spittle kind of undermine that image just a bit. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I think you're reading too much into that comment. He used Cowher as an example of a HC that took some time to find success. I believe that's as far as he meant the comparison to go.

25. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Couldn't agree more!!!

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Some people can't get past the fact that someone puts two people in the same sentence and as a result have trouble seeing the actual comparison being made.

For instance, I could probably make the statement "JaMarcus Russel and Joe Montana both played QB at the NFL level" and someone would respond "I can't believe you compared JaMarcus Russel to Joe Montana!!!"

• Like Like x 1
  27. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    I can't believe that you just did that! :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Thankfully, he had the good taste to leave Leaf out of that statement. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  29. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I believe Rivers has close to 30 game winning drives in the 4th quarter. Not sure how he chokes under pressure. This franchise has consistently not put anything around him. Make no mistake if Rivers had the Oline, and defense.of some of these teams and a coach that put him into position to succeed he is probably considered a top 3 QB in this league.

I do put stock into having whack WR's ad no line year in and year out, with a defense that consistently can't get off the field on 3rd down. I mean we had a couple of good teams who under achieve but the fact that Rivers consistently is in the top of the league in comp %, and yards with literally with no run game and guys like Inman, Herndon, Green, and old Gates, concussion case Floyd, and an undersized slot receiver in Allen who is being used on the outside. To be honest this franchise is pathetic right now, and borderline embarrassing.

30. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +274
    The real bottom line is that winning teams never- EVER- re-locate they stay in their cities because the fans show up.

Spanos wants to go to LA... Chargers find a way to put a lousy team on the field and win only 4 games. Bad players, bad coaches, bad signings... you do the math- it all adds up. We sucked this year therefore Spanos gets his wish and can move the team to LA. Notice that his two integral hires (Telesco and McCoy) get to keep their jobs. Conspiracy to lose? Well... (I'm not saying it was aliens- but it was Aliens!!!) McCoy and Telesco must have done what Spanos wanted because they get to keep their jobs after a 4-12 debacle of a season. Think about it... the truth is out there.

Spanos wants out of SD... Chargers totally suck it at 4-12... trying to lock in that move to LA huh Deano?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016