1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Let the hitting begin!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Gone are the days of opening with the famous Oklahoma drill. A drill that was a crowd pleaser at training camp, but in the light of the recent playoff fiasco is one that is little missed. Gone are the days of rousing rah-rah “One Play At A Time, Men!” and the impassioned speeches to get the team ready for the regular season. Now begins the Norv Turner era in San Diego. An era that will either define Norv Turner as an NFL Head Coach, or forever sink him into the ranks of a good coordinator.

Norv takes over a team that is built for success now. This is nothing new, posters here at BoltTalk have been mentioning that since the Chargers announced he was the selection over the more fan popular choices. BoltsFanInSanAntonio (BFISA) was one of the first to point this out. Now after two days of full roster training camp, the players will don the pads. That can only mean one thing. THE HITTING STARTS FOR REAL.

The only ones that is ‘safe’ from the hitting are the players in red shirts. The quarterbacks will be in a sanctuary during the drills, and any player that violates the sanctuary will be sure to hear about it from a majority of the coaching staff and quite a few players. But for the others, the linemen, line backers, receivers, secondary players and so on, the hits will come. The pads usually are a precursor to the speed of things changing in camp, seasons past things sped up some the tempo increased. This is the time when the rookies show what they can and cannot handle.

Many observers of Monday’s first padded practice noticed an increase in the physicality of the drills. Reports of full contact practice, players knocking each other to the ground excited some fans.

As the twice a day practices continue you can see players shaking off the rust from a few months of lesser exertion. There is no real off season for the players anymore. They have to keep in shape year around. Players like Big Jamal ‘the Manster’ Williams practiced more than required on Monday, refusing to slow down and take frequent breaks. This player is driven to produce. Something that can only bode well for the defensive team that starts up front with the big nose tackle.

On Monday it was the secondary players who seemed to stand out the most. Rookie Eric Weddle covered all pro Antonio Gates on one pass play and prevented the ultra talented Tight End from completing the pass. Antonio Cromartie made a couple of interceptions as noted by BoltTalk on the scene reporter Ride The Lightning. who posted:
    Physicality, and determination seem to be a modus operandi of this team this season. The determination to make it further in the playoffs than one and done like the last two trips to the playoffs. Players have already commented that the post season will be the focus. I for one doubt that this statement equates to a lack of focus or intensity during the regular season, for that is what gets you to the post season. Players like Williams, Cromartie, and others point to this in my opinion. They will play well, and the teams who line up opposite of the Chargers better be wary, this is not the Norv Turner teams of the past, this is something new, a new breed that looks to play with physicality, intensity and focus.

A new and exciting season is upon us, fans can enjoy the training camps and the mini battles contained within. In twelve days the Charger will play their first exhibition game against the Seahawks. The season is here, and if Monday’s full pad practice is any indication, it will see an attitude of physicality from our players that will make Charger fans smile.

Notes:
    Saturday, August 4th.
    The San Diego Chargers will host the annual fan fest at Qualcom. Admission and parking are free, come early as it is always a fan favorite, and if the crowds at opening day of training camp are to be an indication, it will be packed.

I plan on bringing my boys, if anyone wants to hook up let me know! It would be a great day to sport your BoltTalk t-shirts!

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Good read.

But what is it with the word physicality?

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Must we educate you daily?

4. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    (borrowed from another site)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I cant stand to see bolts on a red jersey! :icon_evil:

Unless it is Jamal or someone else destroying a Chief!

6. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I'm ok with it, especialy in AFC PRO BOWL red....:yes:

edit: these uni's actually look rather cheezy...:tdown: like some cheap knockoffs...

7. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    The red jersey isn't all that good looking, thankfully our colors don't include red.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That is the only time I will stomach it. But I HATE red Charger jerseys...

Call me a fuddy duddy, but that is what I feel..:lol:

9. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I agree with you leave the dog d*ck red jerserys for the chiefs, I can deal with our bolts rocking red at the pro-bowl, but that's about it... I am glad to hear that the practice went well, I got out there sat. but really wanted to see some hitting, does anyone happen to know if Sat. scrimage is going to be full contact?

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    They weren't really hitting yesterday. Cro was really the only one who popped someone else. They were all just playing grabass in pads.

No wonder some of these defensive guys have tackling issues.

And I want to go on the record, Sproles is gonna get killed again in the preseason. I'll be shocked if he makes the team, Cro and Davis are much better returners and they have SIZE. I saw a few plays (wHere of course everyone else was cheering) where Sproles would have gotten R A P E D by the defenders, but of course, they just playing 2 hand touch, so he goes running through the imaginary hole and runs down the field as the crowd goes wild.

He's gonna get pwn3d.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Thanks for the update. Training camp usually has little real hittings. I am refering more to the speed, there were some articles on the Oline and Dline going at it harder.

Was there at least some girly slapping going on? Maybe a harsh glare? Something?:icon_sad:

:lol:

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I don't think it's a regular jersey. I think it's just for the QB's or guys that are "hands off, this guy is valuable" status. I saw those red jerseys last year and I saw Rivers and just a few others wear them. Don't care for them either. I think they are only for practice.

Although I would love to see Merriman wear one in a game so he looks like some charging bull or something.....

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    They are for just the QBs indicating that they are not to be hit. I believe every non-primadona ( ;) ) player has to wear a red dew rag on the helmet to signify no touchie...

14. o-line protagonist

o-line protagonist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    I always thought that was to signify that an offensive player was playing defense and vise versa?

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Hmmm... Could be, I dont know. I just figured it meant Noooo Touchie!

16. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    Nope, the red helmet covers are for special teams because some players on both sides of the ball line up in both coverage and return units so it's the only way to tell em all apart.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Jes heard on PTI that Willie Parker, Steelers RB, says he wantsta be better than LT :icon_eek: :lol:

Willie Parker needsta want in one hand and **** in the other, and see which one fills up the quickest :yes: :icon_rofl:

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Its good he wants to set the bar high. But LT is still raising that bar himself. Willie has to really work hard, because LT will not sit back on his acomplishments of last season.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: Bet I know which it will be!!

Applaud his expectations all you want, but he'll never be more than a pimple on LT's arse! :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    word

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Petersen to Larry Johnson. "I know LaDanian Tomlinson, and you're no LaDanian Thomlinson". Rooney to Willie Parker. "I know Larry Johnson and you're no Larry Johnson". 10 year olds are dreaming about being LT. Dream on, Willie. It's a free country.

22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Does anyone else find it AWESOME that they guy everyone is being measured by and aspiring to be plays for OUR team?

23. Kyle

Kyle BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    I find it interesting that when Vick was drafted the Chargers were criticized for passing on the "Michael Jordan of football." Turns out, we got the Michael Jordan of football and Mr. Mexico is dangerously close to not having a football career at all.

• Like Like x 1
  24. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    I like the plain look of the white practice jerseys...

That being said, my favorite football uni of all time is the all white Penn St. unis...Plain, simple, let the football do the talking type ****.

TBF

25. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I wantsta do Carmen Electra, which is more likely to happen than Willie Parker being better than LT.

26. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    excellent second post!:icon_toast:

27. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Willie Parker isn't doing to bad for a FA running back out of UNC, but he aint no LT. Then again, there is only one LT and I doubt we'll ever see another.:bolt: