1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Let there be gnashing teeth and riots

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    San Diego Chargers Coaching Staff is Returning for 2015
    http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/201...rning-2015-mike-mccoy-john-pagano-frank-reich

San Diego Chargers Head Coach Mike McCoy announced during today's press conference that both of his coordinators, John Pagano and Frank Reich, would be returning for the 2015-16 season. This is a surprise to no one, though many Chargers fans are likely upset as they were demanding blood following Sunday's loss to the Kansas City Chiefs in Kansas City.

John Pagano has been the defensive coordinator of the Chargers since 2012 and has been with the franchise as a coach since 2005. His defenses have finished 11th, 29th, and 21st in Expected Points Added (EPA) during his tenure.

Rookie offensive coordinator Frank Reich took over a squad that finished 2nd in EPA under Ken Whisenhunt in 2013. He led them to a ranking of 12th this season. In Reich's defense, he was without Danny Woodhead, Ryan Mathews, and Nick Hardwick for most of the season (though he did have Malcom Floyd for a full 16 games).

Both coordinators have been criticized by fans but are deeply respected by the players and ownership in San Diego. Pagano's name has been floated as a potential head coach for a couple years now.

What do you think of this announcement by the team?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Let the closet dwellers shake their fists at the injustice...

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    Not surprised

• Like Like x 1
  4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    To go a year without our staff getin picked apart, I don't think you'll find many here who aren't rejoicing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Frank defiantly gets kudos for what we got out of our injury riddled offense this year.

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    So I guess it's open season on Bolt coaches but only for moves up the scale????

7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Sounds about right.

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yes and no. Some teams have gotten around the 'moves up' requirement by giving titles like 'Assistant Offensive Coordinator, Receivers', or 'Assistant Head Coach, Offense...'

9. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I'm happy with the decision. I feel Pags got a lot out of our D when most of them were healthy. I have no problem giving FR another year to see if he does a better job if the O has less injuries.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    We have the 4th best staff in our own division. I can't understand how you can be in a playoff mode, and run D. Brown up the middle twice for minimal gain. How can you look at that ineptitude at the Head Coaching position and say we have bright future. I'd rather we cut ties with this staff down instead of six years down the road, when EVERYONE will know it's too late.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Reich flashed brilliance this year. But, then made me scratch my head, want to throw my TV out the window and drink my night away.

I don't mind keeping the coaching staff, but like the players, this off-season the coaches need to work on themselves. Too much inconsistency and head scratching coming from HC decisions and the OC. Pagano made me doubt him early on, but boy did he finish out strong. ST's for the most part was solid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Telesco needs to shine this off-season and in upcoming draft or our coaches will
    have to (once again) fire up the :poop:-polishers.

The whole organization is a direct reflection of its GM.
    It starts with TT Boy and ends with him, just like it did
    with He-of-the-Hawaiian-shirts.

13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    Why the Hell not?!? You've already dealt away Rivers and Gates, if I recall...:D
    and your 16-0 prediction for 2014 was positively creative and inspired!!

I, for one think the Chargers need more thinkers like you, Johnny, in management.
    Some say that cocaine generally--and speedballs specifically--don't lead to good decisions...
    but I think we should put that theory to the test! :tup:

14. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    So for the record. You are fine with Mike McCoy and company coming back next season?

15. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    Oh, I'm not a huge McCoy fanboy so far...
    Pagano is not great, but he had "Weddle + 10 guys" performing slightly better than they should have in '14...
    and Reich I'd definitely like to see replaced. Yesterday.

As for McCoy, if he wanted to take another job, I wouldn't shed a tear.
    But can I justify firing a guy for taking a C+ roster to two 9-7 records his first two years as HC?
    Not really.

But Telescopo needs to be more active this offseason, or a similar (but older) Charger unit will be 8-8 in '15,
    and honestly, McCoy's dickishness towards fans and the press will wear thin if this team isn't 10-6 or better in '15.

But then, I don't have any benzoylmethylecgonine to assist my decision-making... :sneaky:

16. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    O well another 9-7 team stands ready to stay the same
    Stay the Corse
    Don't expect a new stadium when we don't win and don't win often enough to keep other teams out of "our" stadium
    Don't be mad when the stealers and Denver will have 50% +fans in the Q
    You want a new stadium sorry
    Your team can't keep its own fans at a game
    We need to start kicking so much *** that the city will be holly **** we can't let this team go get them a new stadium
    We need the 12/4 teams back division winning teams back the afc west 6/0 team back
    We need some fire
    We need 400lbs OL and fast as **** DE's that other teams say **** we have to game plan for the whole line
    Remember doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result = insanity
    Just sayin

17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    They better have one hell of an offseason w/ the draft and FA or it's just gonna be more of the same frustrating nonsense as it was this year.

At least can we fire the training staff who can't keep guys healthy?

18. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    I'm not surprised but can't help thinking we can upgrade on Reich. And McCoy needs to employ someone to spend the game managing it (clock, timeouts, challenges etc) for him.

19. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    I don't mind that TT gave MM, Pags, and (very begrudgingly) Reich another shot. For all their zits, they did take the players that suited up for the Boltz to the verge of the playoffs. For the first time, TT will have a bit of salary cap elbowroom. Hope he uses it to fortify the offensive line. A solid o'line in itself might have been good for one or two more wins this past season.

20. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    I read this or a version of it quite often. Maybe someone can explain it to me?
    How does the training staff "keep guys healthy"?
    The training staff could be the best in the league as far as preparing guys to play
    for 60 minutes on Sunday, but when those players get broken collar bones or
    cracked ribs or plantar fasciitis etc...why is it fault of the trainers?
    Do the trainers add kevlar to muscles and bones that I'm not aware of?
    Do they add thicker skulls to our players to prevent concussions?
    Maybe they are slackers and just have the guys do 20 pushups and call it a day?
    Yeah, that's probably it. Nevermind, I think I've figured it out...

21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    @UTgehlken: Jets request permission to interview Chargers OC Frank Reich for head coach: http://t.co/9OpcpkYIRy

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    That would be quite a jump for a 1st year coordinator.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That is what I was thinking. But if it happens it might please the crowds who are calling for his head.... Win, not lose?

24. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    When do the riots start? I do not want to miss them. :)

25. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    That was pretty quick.

26. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    Upgrade? Yeah...seems quite do-able...

Screen Shot 2014-12-30 at 12.33.20 PM.png

27. MetalZelda32

MetalZelda32 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    I'm just tired of having conservative calls on offense. I like Mccoy and I like Reich enough to give him another year, but goddamn when I'm at the game and I can call almost every play they run, you know you need to change something in the play calling scheme.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Agreed, with the caveat that when your O-line gets manhandled, outmaneuvered, and misses assignments on a regular basis, it severely limits what you can call. But overall, yeah, way too conservative.

29. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    I'm not so concerned about conservative/agressive as much as I am about overall lack of creativity. Our run game consists of exactly 2 plays...dive and draw.

And not that I watched every route from every receiver, but considering we have better than average passing weapons our receivers definitely seemed to get shut down more than they did last year, even with Floyd.

• Agree Agree x 1