1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Let's be Real

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TheBeast, Nov 9, 2008.

1. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Don't want to rain on the party but...we didn't get an pressure on the QB until the last drive and it was MILD pressure.

As we all know we're facing the steelers at home next week and we ALL know what Ben can do with ball when not pressured. It is VITAL that we bring the pressure next week. If not he's going to EAT US ALIVE.

Great Job by our boys to get the W against an underrated Chiefs team today BUT we need to perfrom better next week if we want to come out of Pitt. with W.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Correctamundo.

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Agreed 100%. But it's all about preparation. The defense was soft but when it was physical it was way too physical, getting beat all over the place. Then Rivera softened up but mixed in some close coverage that paid off big time. The lack of pressure is alarming though. I was really thinking we were done with that **** but apparently not. Hopefully Rivera examines the Pittsburgh tapes well and prepares adeqauately to get in numer 7's fat frat boy face. If not he'll have to adjust like he did today, which against Pittsburgh would probably not turn out so well. I guess we'll just wait and see.

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    can we wait until Tuesday for this??

:icon_shrug:

:lol:

5. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    :lol:

I was expecting this post from someone.

6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    It actually started right after Manu came down with the on side kick attempt; some couldn't even wait til the end of the kneel down,

7. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    :violin: :eek:hmy: :icon_eek: :icon_shrug:

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Hopefully the Chargers where looking past the chiefs, good thing it didn't cost then.

Maybe they'll get up for the steelers for a big game :icon_shrug:

9. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I thought this was a bad win. Wait, no win is bad…right? Well, we learned nothing from our first half ineptitude. No pass rush! Weak short pass coverage! Running game still sucks! Rivers still trying to do too much!

In retrospect, we got a little lucky today…I will take it!

Next week should be hell. We will be on the road in the east, where no west coast team has done well this season. No pressure on Rothenberger will mean defeat.

One thing that might be in our favor is we tend to play to the level of our competition. If this is true, we may have a chance…as long as we play damn well, and the refs keep their heads out of their collective a****, we have a chance. It is small, but we still have a chance.

If the "D" can step up, the whole team will be energized!

10. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    According to the UT, the defensive players feel pretty good about their consistency and confidence. Acee says they're feeling more confident in their coordinator and their play than they have all season, and are really energized to go play Pittsburgh next weekend.

11. IGOR RULES

IGOR RULES BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Top reasons I think we will win in Pittsburgh:

1) it's a Eastern Time Zone game, but it starts at 4.15 local time (1.15 PM in San Diego), so there is no excuse about internal-clock-delay-crap. It's like playing at 1.00 PM in the West.

2) The defense played well in clutch time and during the whole second half. We did not have significant sacks, interceptions, pass deflections, but we managed to hold the Chiefs for 5 consecutive punts at some moment. Then the big play of Clinton Hart (after being robbed by the refs and unfortunately burned with the TD) will set the tone for the rest of the season.

3) Rivera did not start Cromartie, this is a good signal to everybody. Cromartie rebounded somehow and managed to be the leader in tackles (it does not mean anything as long as he gets burned, but is shows a willingness to fight back for his starting job). The signal should include Igor Olshanski (... hate to admit it), Luis Castillo and Shaun Phillips: perform on the field or you will not start anymore!

4) the offense is still able to produce big drives, to finish when it matters and to be unpredictable. Besides they are ALL healthy. Jackson, Floyd, Chambers, Gates are constant threats for good receiving yards; Tomlinson, Sproles and even Tolbert manage to create enough yards to keep defenses guessing. The offensive line fine tuning has to improve though. Rivers is always good: I wish he would avoid throwing interceptions, when they can really hurt the outcome of the game.

5) Special teams are due to one (or more :yes:) big plays: kickoff TD returns, stripping the ball from the opposing returner, punt blocking with fumble recovery, etc.

6) additional motivation by knowing the result of Denver @ Atlanta (a BIG loss for Cutler with M. Turner having a field day!) and being able to draw even with the Broncos. To remind everybody we will be 5-5, same like last season and we all know where it all was headed to ... :yes:

I still believe, now more than ever

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    1. Enough with the time zone crap. If we need to come east for the whole week to get acclimated, then do it. Every team has to travel. If this is such an issue for us, then we need to look at making a change in our prep.

2. Although Jammer got burned for a long TD, he DID make some very significant plays. No TO's, but played very well against the run. The PI call on Hart was very close - could have just as easily been a non-call.

3. Rivera didn't start Cro because he didn't practice all week with the hip injury. Maybe it was partly a message, but if so I still don't think that Cro really "got it". He's hurting, but I think his self-confidence is down, too. As for sitting Castillo, Igor, and/or Phillips - who replaces them? I haven't seen anyone else doing any better. Igor has never been a pass rusher & it's pretty obvious now that Luis & SP relied on Merriman more than we wanted to admit. A guy thattakes up 2-3 blockers is hard to replace. The pressure is going to have to start coming from less obvious places.

4. LT seemed to regress some today from the game against NO, IMO. didn't seem to have the same burst. I don't think that CC is back to full strength yet. Rivers made some bad decisions yesterday. The last INT was a very poor decision on his part. And the right side of our OL is not getting the job done. As far as finishing when it matters - :icon_huh:? Getting FG's when we should be getting 6 is not finishing, IMO.

5. Sproles is due, no doubt. Didn't get many return opportunities yesterday. Our biggest return was when Cro got a short KO.

6. We're still in this because the rest of the AFCW sucks. Cleveland absolutely blew it against Denver on Thurs. night.

If we win in Pittsburgh it will be because we start hitting on all cylinders at the same time. That means a stifling D, an offense that can punch the ball into the end zone when we get close, no stupid penalties, & a solid performance on ST. Our guys better be ready to play BOTH halves of the game this coming week.

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :no:

14. IGOR RULES

IGOR RULES BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    1) I agree with you about the time zones crap talk, as I stated in my original post. I just wanted to emphazise the fact that THIS very excuse has no reason to be even mentioned this week since the game will be played in the late afternoon in Pittsburgh.

2) Looking at the defense as a whole (without the emotion) the output was not so bad as everybody now thinks. More pressure to the QB should come from our linebackers

3) The replacements for Igor, Luis and Shaun as starters: Jacques Cesaire, Ryon Bingham and Marques Harris. I am talking about sending a signal to start the backups. If the former starters get it, then they will play better when they step into the field. The defense is usually playing everybody during the game, so there is the need to keep everybody motivated, but the change Rivera is able to enforce is just to change the starters to emphazise the principle that nobody is assured his starting job.
    Besides the Chargers won 4 games when Merriman was suspended, so the game cannot be affected by this excuse.

4) If you look at single games then you are right. If you see the whole picture of our offense then you have the following facts: Rivers is leading the NFL in passer rating and TDs, Tomlinson is top 10 in yards from scrimmage, all the receivers are quite sure targets (VJ, MF, CC, AG) and - most important - they are all healthy.

5) we agree that some big plays are past due.

6) to play a game knowing that your opponent in the division (the Broncos) lost already against M. Turner and his Falcons is a HUGE motivation to win and to stay at 5-5 at the top of the divison. Last year the Broncos fell apart in the last 6 games, while the Chargers won them all.

Go Chargers and take the win in Pittsburgh!:tup:

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

A win is a win but I don't think anybody is pounding on their chest and pimping our team out.