1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Let's sign _______

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    OK, what scrubs and castaways do we hypothesize that AJ will pickup?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
  3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I like him, but will he sign for the AJ price?

4. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    And move Jammer to safety!

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :icon_rofl:

6. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    The one guy I wanted (Crowder) got re-signed. So there isn't really anyone I've got my eyes on. Maybe one of the Safeties. (Jones or Brown).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    So far, the free agents appear to fall into one of two catagories:
    1) Big name guys we can't afford
    2) Old guys that DON'T rule!

If we do pick up somebody via free agency it will probably be like last year's pickup of Forney, an affordable guy with a few years left in the tank at a need position.

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I don't see anyone out there who would a big enough upgrade without compromising our ability to sign our own guys because of the cap problems the prime free agents would create. I'm content to deal with the draft or to use our supplemental picks as a trade offer. J. Peppers would be nice, but the price tag wouldn't be.

9. BLITZED56

BLITZED56 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Too bad Crowder got resigned, I really liked him.

Chris Canty DE / UFA / 6-7, 304 / 4 years / Cowboys / 77

Canty has established himself as a solid starter in the Cowboys' 3-4 defensive scheme. He has excellent size with long arms and natural strength. He can hold the point of attack against the run, despite his naturally-high pad level. He shows good hand use to stack blocks quickly and good recognition to blocking schemes. He can create a quick lock out with his hand use and long arms. He also sheds in time to make to plays in the short area. He does a good job of squeezing down gaps to cause lane congestion with his quick reactions and early leverage into contact. Canty has adequate lateral range to chase into the flat with good effort to make plays on the outside. In passing situations, he does a good job of pressing the pocket off the corner. He doesn't have a wide variety of moves to clear contact quickly, but he is disruptive due to his long reach. He can see over the top of linemen and does a good job of getting his hands up to deflect or tip passes at the line of scrimmage. Overall, Canty has shown steady improvement each year and he plays with a good motor. He is a durable and productive player who is best suited in a 3-4 scheme, but could also contribute in a 4-3 scheme.

Stacy Andrews OT / UFA / 6-7, 342 / 5 years / Bengals / 75

Andrews is a five-year player who started every game at RT. Last year he was given the franchise tag by the organization because he has shown steady improvement. He has excellent size and strength and he plays with good balance. Due to his overall height, he tends to play high, but is strong enough to create movement in the run game. He is inconsistent with his use of leverage, but is big enough to cover up smaller defenders and is hard to shed. He has good agility for a big man, but is more effective in a confined area than out in space. In passing situations, Andrews has adequate foot quickness. He can set and lock quickly with his long arms and strong hands. He has adequate ability to change direction, but he can have problems with quick players. He does a good job of attacking defenders and letting his size take over, rather than trying to mirror and slide. He has good anchor strength. He is alert for games and blitzes. He is not a finished product at this time and should only continue to improve with experience. The fact that Andrews can play guard or tackle only adds to his value.

Gibril Wilson S / UFA / 6-0, 210 / 5 years / Raiders

I'm sure all three of these guys will be out of AJ's price range though.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Our own. We have plenty to do there!

• Like Like x 2
  11. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    wilson,jones,andrews i wanted crowder too, im sure he will find some nice depth or a player to step in, i like what we do in not signing big name free agents like the Steelers,Colts etc... all the good teams

12. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    scratch Wilson, parcells beat us to it, he just signed with miami

13. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    We need to replace all of the sorry-*** white guys on our defense and replace them with DSMA. :yes:

14. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    how about this guy

15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Lets sign..........Tomlinson?

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Bert Berry
    Stacy Andrews (with Forney, nasty right side of the line)
    Brian Dawkins or Sean Jones

Cato June

17. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Shaun Cody

http://www.nfl.com/players/shauncody/careerstats?id=COD576791

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2009/1/22/732199/free-agent-of-interest-sha

What's that? A new feature at Field Gulls? Yep. FAI offers brief diagnostics on potential free agents of interest. And don't worry (and I know you were), "The Top Ten Stories that Weren't..." feature will conclude soon as I get my voice back. The Waitsian growl I'm sporting won't due.

Name: Shaun Cody

Birthdate: Today, 1983.

College: USC, 4 year starter, Freshman All-America, Consensus All-America in 2004

Notable Stats: 21 sacks, 31.5 total tackles for a loss, 8 blocked field goals

NFL: Lions, 11 starts in four years. O sacks since rookie season.

Notable Stats: 1.5 sacks, 10 tackles for a loss.

Pre-draft measurables: 4.95 in the 40-yard dash at 295 ... 425-pound bench press. ... Bench presses 225 pounds 24 times. ... 550-pound squat. ... 326-pound power clean. ... 31.5-inch vertical jump. ... 31 -inch arms. ...10-inch hands.

20 Word Scouting Report: Fast first step, high motor, single gap, three tech, high character, complete washout as pro, overachiever now underachiever, all upside.

My Take: From linchpin to underachiever and malingerer, Cody is either not long for this league or desperate for an organization with a clue. Cody played his rookie season under first Steve Mariucci and then interim coach Dick Jauron, and the next three seasons under Rod Marinelli. Cody played extensively during Mariucci's twelve weeks and nearly not at all under Jauron. A beef I have with both Jauron and Marinelli is an overdependence on practice performance when determining playing time. In 2008, Marinelli slotted Cody behind Chuck Darby at right defensive tackle. That's a mismanagement of talent. When things aren't working, a smart coach ditches the noble sounding platitudes and shakes up the depth chart. Four years of professional football say he's a bust, but I have reason to think his potential is intact.

18. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    isn't he already?

19. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    AJ needs to find the next Steve Foley (minus the bullet holes). :yes:

20. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    So we can pay him 9 Million Dollars to run into the middle of the line and fall down for a 2 yard loss?

I'll do it for 4.5 Million a 50 % savings!

21. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I like this idea :yes:

22. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Dude that works at Mcdee's.

Thats the kind of players he likes. *sigh*

23. clontarf_bolt

clontarf_bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    :lol:

24. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I agree. Mike Brown Safety on the Bears if he can come in cheap enough.

25. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    Chris Kemoeatu 6-3 344 1/4/83 5 Utah -steelers

and LB Angelo Crowell from the bills