1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Lets talk Kaeding...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,978
    I just goota get this off of my chest.

I like the kid as far as kicking field goals go. But is anyone else tired of his weakness in kicking kick offs?

I am tired of the other team catching the ball between the 10 and 20 yard line. What happened to his ability to kick the ball into the end zone for a touch back?

2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    You talk Kaeding... to yourself!!!

3. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    He was much improved at the beginning of the season. Don't know what happenned. :icon_shrug:

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Give Concudan some privacy!!! :lol:

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    As long as he's making 57 YARD FIELD GOALS, the dude is nails in my book. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  6. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    A lot of that at Tampa was them intentionally kicking short to keep the ball away from their return man. I think it's dumb, but that's what they were doing.

No, Nate doesn't have the longest kick-off distance. But he's good at directional kicking, which helps our coverage units a LOT and contributes to them being so good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I agree, after the first kickoff was returned so far, it looked like he was kicking them shorter and higher for more hang time to give the coverage team a better chance.

8. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    You shoudl be banned troll! wah wah wah! Whore alert whore alert. Drama queen drama queen somebody needs to stop this troll hurry mods! :icon_rofl: No way, Nate is the best kicker in the NFL, because he is a Charger! so he has to be the best and have the strongest leg! Whore attnetion alert. Leo post that gay **** you post.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    Ok Willow like he has ever, what maybe once, maybe or was that the field goal he made verses the Colts. :icon_huh: Oh wait, he missed that and we lost.

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    He nails a 57 yarder and we choose now to start complaining about him?

11. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    For what?, his first and last time ever? but miss a 47 yarder all day and his little ***** leg wont even reach. :icon_rofl:

12. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    He isn't clutch but in 2006 the kid was near-perfect. In 2007 he was beyond reliable. In 2008 the special teams is still spot-on, partially because of Nate's expertise. Good kickers aren't to hard to come by but you just don't know until crunch time if you've got a dud or not. Kaeding isn't a dud. He's proved that. BUT he really has to be more reliable, like he was a year ago.

13. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I love this poster! Atleast someone isnt sniffing Nate *****leg Kaedings underwear.

K Nate Kaeding set a team mark with a 57-yard field goal, thanks to a little wind

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    The 57 yarder was impressive and I was surprised he hit that one. However, I'm still not over his miss against the Jets in 2004 for some reason.....

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,978
    [​IMG]

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I don't believe Kaeding has the balls to kick the critical ones. It was a v nice, massive, surprise to see him kick the 57 yarder but until he kicks a few critical game winners he is an average kicker in my book. :tdown:

As for his kick offs as far as I know he trys to get as much air under them as possible (ala Scifres). Purpose being to give the kick coverage unit more time to get down there. Having said that I'd much prefer to see him kick it thru the endzone once in a while. :icon_evil:

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,978
    Thats what I am sayin!

18. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    His kickoffs are way too weak and it seems like the other teams take possession on the 35-40 yard line which taxes our already suspect defense. :icon_sad:

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,978
    Can Schifers do kick offs?

20. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    This has been debated, but they dont want the kickoff motion to ruin such a beautiful punt motion...

I guess it will throw him off!!

21. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Conc you knew that this thread would bring me out of hiding. :yes:

A 57 yard meaningless field goal and he makes it? How long was the field goals that he missed in the playoffs? a 40 yarder against the Jets. You people were busting my balls and making excuses for him when he missed the 54 yarder against the Pats. That was supposedly "too long" for him to make in the playoffs and you all made excuses. He can not handle pressure!

Now lets get to kick offs. He is ranked #32. He has 8 touchbacks. Look at his stats on NFL.com.

What is it going to take to make you people realize that we need to find another kicker. A missed GW FG in the SB?

Wake up people.:flail::scream:

22. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    John Carney was released because he could not kickoff deep. Nate is accurate but he still makes me hold my breath in the clutch. The jury is still out.

23. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Look how Carney did for the Giants this year.

24. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Nate (86% career kicker) doesn't have a big leg and he isn't fully reliable in the clutch....but.......
    The guy is normally automatic from 45 yards and in.

As mentioned above, we released a great kicker in Carney (83% career) because he didn't have a big leg and signed that stiff Richey (73% career) who couldn't hit a coo on the arse with a banjo for us.

Do you want to risk this situation again?

:tdown:

25. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The 54 yard field goal against the Pats into a stiff breeze would have been an epic make. It would have gone down as one of the most clutch kicks of all time. To knock Nate for missing it I think is incredibly unfair. There are probably only a few kickers in the history of the league who would have made that one.

As for the 40 yarder against the Jets, it is what it is--a makeable field goal that Nate missed. It's overstating things to call Nate a choker because he missed one moderately difficult field goal and one extremely difficult field goal in the playoffs.

As for the kick against the Bucs last sunday, it was anything but meaningless, and only a Nate-hater would try and make the argument that it "meant nothing." The Bucs had just cut our lead to 7. They had all the momentum going into the half until Kaeding nailed that kick and turned it into a two possession game. Without that kick, the Bolts would have been tied instead of ahead after they scored with 14:00 left in the game. It would have completely changed the Bucs mentality on offense, and we might not have gotten the turnovers that ended up sealing the game.

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I'm still not over Marty putting him in a horrible position to make a winning FG in the rain in 2004 either.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Nate will hit a game winner in the playoffs this year.

You heard it here first.

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Exactly.

That 57 yarder was anything but meaningless.

It destroyed the Tampa momentum.

29. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Translation: "look at me Look At Me, LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!" :tdown:

30. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Anything less and management should start considering finding another kicker. I won't say fire him yet but it really sucks to have a kicker you just know won't win the game for you.