1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk; San Diego Chargers O, is it really the best in the league?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Chargers are airing it out quite a bit.

I will say I love me some PR17 throwing the deep ball, especially when he did it against the pack.
    I do NOT love me a -4 turnover ratio...
    I do NOT love me a O that MUST throw because it cant, or is too far behind to run.
    I do NOT love me more L's than W's

So what is your take. #1 ranking, deserved? undeserved? When, where, why, when, and how?

2. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Decades ago, the Chargers had this coach named Don Coryell who had a mighty potent O with this ensemble of players named Fouts, Winslow, Alworth, joiner, Chandler, Muncie... Pretty much unstoppable, right? Well, they didn't win diddly squat after all said and done, because they did not have what it takes to win Championships, i.e, a stout D.

Now onto this O: as you have already alluded to, it is far too one dimensional to even muster a mere W against balanced teams and these ungawdly offensive stats are misleading because the team has had to sling it all over as they often play from behind (exception Pittsburg game).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Any team that has less faith in running the rock than ANY other team in the league (including teams like Detroit and Green Bay) cannot contend for the title of best O.

"Our ability to play while ahead takes a hit as a result of this."--what I would say if it happened at all this season

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    An extremely valid point. Thanks!

5. Razma

Razma Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115
    Far from the best O I would say... maybe the best between the 20's but we don't score enough in the red zone and have no dedication to the run game and when we do run the plays are purely to keep the defense honest. Every game turns into a close game that comes down to the last minute because we don't score when we had the chance multiple times throughout the game.

We score 14 points less a game then the 2nd place team and and nearly 8 less then the 3rd place team if we were on par we would likely be undefeated.

6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,153
    Coryell never had Alworth.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  7. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    How do you know? Just because your handle is Lance! :rolleyes:

8. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    No. He had John Jefferson instead (Pre Chandler)

9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,153
    Because if Coryell had had Alworth, it would've destroyed the record books.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You forgot the sarcasm font...

11. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Are you suggesting that Lance19 is that blunt of a tool? :eek:

12. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    You think our offense is 25th best in the league? Who are the 24 QBs better than Rivers.

I don't care about numbers and running the ball as badly as we are makes us one dimensional not a bad offense.

As long as Rivers is here and in his prime this a top 10 passing offense. Which we are right now. Things will get better now that Stevie is back and Dunlap, Franklin, and Watt are practicing.

13. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Air Bambi sounds majestic.

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Of the 5 teams averaging over 400 ypg this year, the Chargers are the only one averaging less than 30 ppg.

We average 22.7 ppg, which is mediocre, so that is where I rank our offense.

15. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    True! An offense's true mettle is measured in terms of their success in the red zone. The Chargers are very mediocre there precisely because of their anemic running attack. When the field gets shorter and condenses, good defenses tend to shut the Chargers from scoring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    In the Packers game, I think our red zone issues were thoroughly on the players. Green dropped a TD, Gates dropped on inside the 5, one pass was batted down, Gordon fumbled of course, and at the end of the game Rivers just made a terrible read and was lucky the ball didn't go the other way for 6.

In the Steelers game, that was one of the worst coaching jobs I've ever seen. We couldn't even get in FG range much less position to score a TD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Your words, not mine...

18. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Don't be such a tattletale. I have already been admonished once today by the Super Mod (and so have you ) ;)

19. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    LOL, hell no. Proof that staring at stats is dumb. Our running game is non existent, the O line is a dumpster fire, and Reich spamming that f'n draw play.

2-4 + best offense in the league = DOES NOT COMPUTE

20. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Especially when they abandon the passing game that got them to that point and try running the ball. :laugh:

21. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    The play calling genius of the OC is truly "mind bottling". Whatever happened to Philip's carte blanche to audible?! :confused:

22. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Forget that...... just put Frank up in the booth where he can at least have a decent view of the field. At least then, Philip will be able to tune him out more easily.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I'm a big proponent of HCs who wear a headset during the game and put their OCs up in the booth. Call it job security ;)

24. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    They did have a stout D in 1979 and 1980. Wasn't the 1979 D second in points allowed? I know they kicked the crap out of both Super Bowl teams in 1979. And the 1980 D led the league in sacks. The D dropped off dramatically after Fred Dean left in 1981.

I agree that the yardage stats are mostly misleading because we are not turning the yards into points for various reasons--red zone struggles turnovers, penalties, et cetera.

25. Razma

Razma Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115
    You realize between the 20's is talking about the numbers on the field right? :p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1