1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Lets trade our entire team!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NORV4LIFE, Mar 7, 2010.

1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Man in the past month I have seen a ridiculous amount of threads about wanting to trade or cut so many players. I understand cro and even merriman but there are threads to get rid of our entire team it seems like. People want to get rid of Cooper, Phillips, Sproles, Merriman, Hester, Kaeding(with good reason), mcneil, castillo and the list goes on and on! I'm sure i'm leaving some players out certainly. We already lost LT and osgood and big Jamal and traded that DB(double meaning here) cromartie. I mean i've even seen posts to get rid of VJ. We're still superbowl contenders. WHy does everyone wanna turn this into a rebuilding year by releasing all of our starters? I know AJ smith can do some magic stuff but it seems difficult to replace half of our starters in one years where we can't even sign free agents:icon_shrug:. Why so much hysteria? I know we lost an embarrassing game but somehow releasing or trading some of our best players doesn't strike me a way to get better this year.

• Like Like x 1
  2. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Now now, let's not overreact. Here is the list of players who are on the list of players who showed to have significant on and off-field baggage during the course of last season.

--Kaeding (no explanation necessary, ask CoronaDoug for the full version)

--Cromartie (softest player I have ever seen, gives minimal effort, is an off-field liability and his coverage skills are tired, predictable, and are not getting better)

--Merriman (on-field performance does not match the paycheck he commands and off-field talk does not match when he shows us on the field...besides, he DOES have trade value)

--Cooper (off-field partying, on-field regression, one year left on his deal and Siler and Burnett threatening to take his place)

--Phillips (mainly for having a big mouth off the field and association with Cro and Coop, but I think the Chargers do have a role for him off the field)

Osgood is not someone I wanted to lose, per se, but I knew it was inevitable that some team would allow him to realize his dream of being a starting WR.

I have no idea who wants McNeill gone--yes, he is a free agent, but he has been rock-solid, willing to play with 2 broken hands, and is a quiet leader on the O-line.

And Castillo? People who criticize him misinterpret his role as a 3-4 DE--his job is not to get sacks as much as it is to occupy bodies on the opposing O-line, freeing up edge rushers and plugging running lanes. He has been above average at both.

3. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    ok but we don't need to let them all go right now. I mean come on man. Is SP is a great LB. We don't need to lose VJ either or sproles( although a pay reduction needs to occur). If we lose so much talent at once and half our team was backups last year i don't think we'll do so well.

4. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    I would take Osi U just as easily as Shawn Phillips. Probably more easily assuming that he is open to playing in a 3-4.

And I also wish to keep VJ for any price, and Sproles for what he is worth.

5. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Well you obviously have a head on your shoulders but its just weird how badly people wanna get rid of some of our best players.

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If we could get a 2nd or early 3rd for Phillips, I would ship him out since we already have English waiting to get on the field. I don't think we even need another OLB except for depth.

If we are going to go LB, it needs to be ILT because Cooper sucks

7. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    I hope we can keep Dobbins, as a rotation of Siler-Burnett-Dobbins is solid, not spectacular in terms of playmaking ability (sacks/INTs), but good against both the run and the pass and can accomplish what they need to in order for us to be a stout D.

At OLB, we will likely have Merriman for one more year, English, and Tucker, but I would want a proven pass rusher in the event we were to ever part with Phillips.

Osi U is someone who is a proven cog of a Super Bowl winner with amazing ability at getting to the QB. Unlike Phillips, whose character concerns are due to immaturity and a need to satisfy his ego, Osi's stem from his dissatisfaction with the organizational direction of the Giants.

I think he could be had cheaply and would be a prime candidate for someone who could greatly benefit from a change of scenery.

8. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58

NOw that we have shipped out cro though we have lack of depth at CB... :icon_shrug: You don't think the same would happen at LB if we ditch merriman and phillips and cooper like some ppl wanna?

9. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    I bet if AJ really worked at it, he could trade the whole team for 75-80 draft picks. We could have the first all rookie team next year. :icon_tease::lol:

10. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    Cason can and will replace Cro, but I agree that we will need to get some depth back.

Depth is available all around the league--the Jets released both of their other corners (Lito and Strickland), and I would take either of them as a solid depth player.

I know what you are saying in terms of needing depth, but my argument is that our current depth should be starting and can be replaced by formidible depth from free agency and the draft. That is AJ's organizational model, and it has shown to be quite effective. It is how Cro got his job in the first place (nickel corner to starter). And Cooper, as well (depth ILB behind Godfrey to starter). And Cesaire, Floyd, Clary, Hart...well, Hart did not exactly work out, but I fired him, anyway.

11. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Yeh it could be all rookies plus rivers:abq2:

12. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Move Jammer to safety.

13. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    ok why not right?

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
  15. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    :lol::lol:

16. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    well, there were three good posts in this thread

3 more than most threads these days

:flag:

17. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    :icon_rofl:

YEah it seems like every thread now is an x plays in y conference so did LT...

18. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I wouldn't mind keeping the rest of the starters.

Although I do think AJ is planning to deal Sproles, just from all the interviews he's had it sounds like he's prepping to go into next season with 3 new backs, but he also is leaving the possibility of him returning (maybe long term deal or weak trade market).