1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Letter from Spanos to Jim Wood Mayor of Oceanside

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN, Jan 12, 2007.

1. VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN

VAN DE MAN CHARGER FAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
  2. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +674
    Nice! Now 3 interests in the county.

The SD city council is so freaking stupid. And good luck cleaning up that Qualcomm site(gonna cost MILLIONS and MILLIONS) all by yourselves once the chargers take up residence somewhere else in the county.

• Like Like x 2
  3. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68

Yea, no shiit. i bet they build more condos with a rubios, ralphs, and a navy federal credit union there. sheessh.

• Like Like x 1
  4. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    There's always room for more Rubios!

O, and Dean signs his name like "Num"

Also, I think this is cool.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I'd really like to see a waterfront stadium that National City could provide, but the extra Governmental issues to include the Port Authority and environmental crap probably makes that a no go. Shame, as it would be the most visually pleasing choice.

The SE Chula Vista project has the most land, but would be the furthest commute for many fans.

If train/trolley is feasible for Oceanside, then that might be in the Chargers best interests, as they already have quite a few season ticket holders in SD North Count, Orange County and the San Bernadino/Riverside areas. The CA highways that cut from I-15 to I-5 might be overwhelmed on game day, and would never expansion consideration.

6. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I am not sure where the site is that they are talking about, but conceptually, Oceanside would be a good place for a new stadium. It would still be close enough to SD not to alienate the faithful, but is close enough to Orange County to potentially draw in many new fans. All good, imo.

7. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    True, and most fans that can afford to go to games are all in North County anyways..haha..

8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Good ****, y'all!! :yes: :tup: :icon_toast:

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    I just hate that the City won't get off its *** and help the Bolts develop a new stadium on the Qualcomm site. It's a great location. I know the City is broke, but it doesn't make sense for them to let the team leave that site. They won't have the money to develop the land. If they just gave the Bolts the land, they would at least be assured of getting tax revenue from the Bolts for decades to come.

10. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    The City of San Diego will whine for years to come how the Chargers "abandoned" them after the Bolts build a new stadium elsewhere within the County.

I still say the simplest solution is to re-deed the Qualcomm property back to the County. The County DONATED that land to the City of San Diego in the 1960's for the express purpose of building a stadium for the Chargers.

Why can't some good legal beagle sue the City of San Diego for breaking the terms of the original deed transfer, since the Chargers now are forced to look at other sites to continue its operation? The poor maintenance, and lack of foresight on the City's part in replacing an out dated facility means the original land transfer is not going to be used for its original intended purpose.

11. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +502
    Seems like Oceanside is really starting to pull for the team to go there. They organized a nice little rally for all of the city workers outside of city hall and asked them all to wear there Chargers gear. Sounds like they really would like to have the team up there.

12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +674
    Didn't know that part.

Where are the crazy lawyers on the chargers side to oppose those dick wads Agurrie and Henderson?

The Murph is the best place.

8/805/15/163 all flow around the area.
    Hotels up the wazzu near by.
    Central the county population.

Just boggles my mine. :icon_huh:

13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Mine too :lol: :icon_rofl: :icon_tease:

14. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Me too.

On the land transfer. I had a good link on that, but can't find it. Maybe "csfoster" who posts at Chargers.com and the UT knows where that link is. It's also mentioned in one of Jack Murphy's books. I think "Damn You, Al Davis."

15. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    You have a sick mine. :lol:

16. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    If they're gonna do it right. Build the new stadium right by the ocean. Have a water park as well. It's gonna cost a billion dollars anyway. Do it right.:yes: :bolt:

17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The area is now doing testing of a Sprinter railway system from Escondido to Oceanside which will help big time.

Highway 76 and 78 would need improvements and are the freeways which cut east and west in that area. Oceanside would be a killer spot (Goat Hill).

Tailgating could literally happen at the beach then trolley into the game. That would be sweet.

18. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Any overhead views, to include Goat Hill, from I-5 to the Ocean?

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
  20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
  21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The mayor sounded really positive about pulling off a deal. The golf course is on the corner of I-5 and Oceanside Blvd. Mission Ave would also be utilized and would need improvement.

The mayor said the city was looking to better utilize this land and is going forward with their attorneys and the Chargers attorneys.

The golf course is municipal so the city owns it and they are ready to talk turkey.

The old drive-in theatres (Swap Meet area) and airport area (100 acres) have been sold and it is too late on that land basically.....

Interesting talk by the mayor. Oceanside is the 3rd largest city in the County at around 200,000 dicheads.

22. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    That Center City Golf Course would be a perfect place for a Stadium because it is right off of the I 5 Freeway. It is also very close to the beach. Can you say tailgate heaven at the beach. Then Hop, Skip and a Jump to the Stadium. Or a tailgater at the Stadium right there at the Golf Course. I can see it. I am sold for this location.:tup: :helm1: :bolt2: :helm3: :bolt: :icon_toast:

23. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Jim Wood has given me wood, if that makes any sense.

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Yup. I was born in Oceanside (Camp Pendleton) and lived most of my life in Thunder Hills behind the Tri-City hospital.

Freeway access would be easy. I like this location big time better than anything I have seen so far. You can see the ocean from this property as well because it is up on a hill pretty much.

25. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Right closeta your necka the woods, idn't it??:icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    It would be closer for sure. It would take about 15 minutes off my drive versus the Murph.

If the Chargers stay, there is nothing wrong with me staying as well. :yes: ...

We would get more fog being closer to the ocean.

27. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Man that would be terrific!
    I'm moving down towards rancho santa margarita for work in a year or so and I was afraid as soon as I moved back that way the chargers would move.
    Fingers crossed on this one:bolt:

28. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Hey Trump your pop must have been a jarhead just like mine. I grew up on MCRD and in Carlsbad when he got moved to Camp Pendleton (with a stint at Pearl Harbor in between) I learned to golf on Goat Hill and at Pendleton. Lots of memories at both.

It is damn hilly so it would interesting to see a conceptual design of how they would do it.

It is basically a piece of crap course and underutilized. This spot would work if they can figure out the freeway access and they would need some serious trolley action. The Coaster would be rocking on game days. It is actually walking distance from the main train station and the beach.

I think the Oceanside Pirates would have a nice place to play on Fridays. Especially when my Carlsbad Lancers beat the crap out of them.

29. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    If Carlsbad was smart they would put the stadium at the Plaza Camino Real site, that thing is getting pretty tired. This plot of land is actually much bigger and the Spanoses could rebuild most of the mall on the site. Then I could walk to the game from my folks house.

I would think any city that has an old crappy mall should consider the stadium with mall-like features attached to it. The footprints are about the same. Shoppers get the hell out on gameday.

30. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Dad was in the USMC. He was a tank commander. He was also a Drill Instructor at MCRD his last 4 years in the service (that was fun for me) :lol: We also lived at Wire Mountain on Camp Pendleton for a few years. I know this whole area like the back of my hand.

We use to party alot at the warm water jetty by the power plant in Carlsbad. I grew up at that beach and the ones in Oceanside but mainly, I liked Carlsbad beaches better.

My Uncle took me golfing on Goat Hill back in the late 60's. It is under utilized big time and an almost forgotten piece of land. The city is not making any money off of it and wants to get something going in that area.

Hey, my Vista High Panthers were the **** with Dick Haines as coach (RIP) and we went toe to toe with everyone. All the cities are still heavy into their football so that has not changed.