1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Lighter Williams feeling great

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Posted Aug 25, 2009

Chargers defensive tackle Jamal Williams is about 25 pounds lighter this summer, and he believes his slimmer physique has helped him throughout training camp.

Chargers defensive tackle Jamal Williams got a laugh earlier this month when he found reporters keeping a tally on how many consecutive practices he’d worked without missing one.

“I finally took a day off and somebody said, ‘He broke the streak,” Williams laughed. “I’m not worried about the days. I just go do what I need to do to get better.”

Tuesday marks the last day of two-a-days for the Chargers, and in the past that hasn’t meant much for Williams because he rarely took part in both practices.

This summer is different. With his health intact and his strength up, Williams happily increased his workload during his 12th NFL training camp, even though he had to lobby Head Coach Norv Turner in order to do so.

“I’ll say, ‘Take the afternoon off,’ and he’ll say, ‘No I want to practice,’” Turner said. “That’s a great sign that he is feeling good.”

Williams believes that he’s greatly benefitted this summer from the conditioning work he did throughout the offseason. He currently tips the scales at 323 pounds, down 25 from the 348 he played at last season.

The three-time Pro Bowler plans to play at the lighter weight this season and believes his lighter frame may help with the ankle and knee injuries he’s dealt with in recent years.

“My quickness and my strength are my biggest things,” Williams said. “I’ll always have my strength and I feel quicker right now. I can play a little lighter and still handle the pounding I take in there. I like the way I feel right now.”

Turner said Tuesday that Williams is leaner than he’s ever seen him and the star nose tackle is healthier than he’s been during Turner’s three seasons with the Chargers. The head coach believes that Williams’ work ethic and refusal to take days off serve as a great example in the locker room.

“That really sets a tone for everyone on this football team,” Turner said. “I think they see a guy and what he’s done and they understand how serious he is and how focused he is. I think it carries over to the other guys.”

Williams hasn’t taken much time off during practice, but he hasn’t played quite as much as most starters in the games. That’s partially because Turner believes Williams doesn’t need as much live action to get ready for the season.
    “There isn’t anything he hasn’t seen in a game,” Turner said.

In the preseason opener, Williams was on the field for roughly a dozen plays. Last week in Arizona, he took about 20 snaps. He’s not sure how much he’ll play Saturday in Atlanta, but he’s pleased with the work he’s gotten during games.

“As long as I get my reads at a faster pace, I’m good,” Williams said. “In practice you don’t get the feel of guys coming down at game speed and going against you. The first couple of games, I got my timing and my steps down. Now I’m ready.

“I think the coaches have done a great job of helping me get ready. I feel great and I feel like it’s going to be a great season.”

2. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Just what we need, our All World NT is now leaner, meaner, and stronger. Look out all you Centers. :abq2:

3. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    "How does the leaner and meaner body look people?" -Jamal "Grizzly Bear" Williams

[​IMG]

4. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Mad Man Love for Big Mal!:lol::icon_toast:

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Love the Wall. :tup:

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    [​IMG]

OF OUR

DEFENSE!!!

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

7. Zot

Zot Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    That's ma boy! Can't wait to see the enemy get Ja-mauled!!!
    :rockout:
    Later

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Be nice to have someone like that on the right side of the O Line.