1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Lights are out again

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Bills place Merriman on IR.

That is all.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    In other news:

In an attempt to grow closer together and understand one another better NFL player Antonio Cromartie, and Head Coach Rex Ryan of the New York Jets have began taking acting classes together in the lower Manhattan district. They are reportedly taking night courses at the posh Atlantic Acting School of the Atlantic.

Rumor has it that Ryan’s secret hope is to be a screen writer and that he is working on the sequel to the Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgandy. His draft script is called The Return of the Anchorman: The Corningston Chronicles.

Early reviews are mixed; Cromartie is slated to play the loveable but mentally retarded chief meteorologist, Brick Tamland. Ryan will be taking the staring role of Ron Burgandy for himself. He has recently practiced the now famous lines of “Stay Classy San Diego” in a press conference lending credence to the rumors.

There have been reported difficulties in casting the role of Veronica Corningstone. Complaints that Cromartie has tried to ‘casting couch all dem bitches’ to all the actresses interested in the role have driven some away from the project. Further reports have it that Ryan demands to see the feet of all potential actresses have combined to create a situation where the role unfilled and in a void.

Filming is tentatively scheduled to start in February of 2012, after the Jets are customarily bounced from the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    This is funny. I love how the media were touting him as a great pickup for the bills and someone ready to make a difference on their way to the playoffs. Until steroids are legal and unbanned merriman will continue to suck.

4. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I laughed really hard at "casting couch dem bitches" everything else, meh.

5. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    As much as I’d like us to be the team that send them golfing in January, that may not even be necessary – the Jets will be lucky to even make the playoffs this year, so maybe we’ll get to eliminate them after next season, with us possessing one of those elusive “rings” that they are constantly talking about.

6. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    This is kind of sad. I loved the guy and stuck with him mostly until his end in San Diego. It's insane the total 180 his career did, he was looking to be such an amazing linebacker.

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    its all Tila Tequila's fault. He was never the same after that incident

8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Shawne Merriman’s contract gets worse
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 26, 2011, 11:25 AM EDT

The Bills have paid linebacker Shawne Merriman $6.95 million over the last season and a half for one sack and nine tackles in five games.

Amazingly, Merriman’s contract appears to get worse for the Bills.

According to a January article by Tim Graham (formerly of ESPN.com), Merriman is guaranteed another $3 million in 2012. We’ve seen it written that the Bills had some injury protection for that money, but that no longer appears to be true.

Graham wrote that Merriman’s 2012 money was guaranteed the moment he was cleared to practice this year. In essence, his new Achilles injury is viewed as different problem than his old Achilles injury. So the Bills are on the hook for it.

Merriman is due $4 million in base salary in 2012 and a $1 million roster bonus next March. We can’t imagine the Bills will give him another chance, so they will basically have to pay him $3 million to go away.

Claiming and then signing Merriman never made any sense. I’ve heard from Bills fans that they had to take a roll of the dice to get some talent. That’s insane. The Bills have done so many things right in the Gailey/Nix era, but there is no defending the Merriman contract.

It was a terrible bet the moment the contract was signed. Merriman missed 30 games between 2008-2010, including 13 last year. He has 4 sacks since 2007. He was never going to make big money on the open market. Guaranteed base salaries are for star players; Merriman was not in that kind of bargaining position.

If the Bills wanted to take a risk on Merriman, they could have waited for him to be a free agent and given him something like a 1-year, $3 million contract. That’s more money than far more productive linebackers got after the lockout.

Instead, the Bills will wind up paying almost $10 million to Merriman for one sack. That apparently includes $3 million next year, when he may no longer even be in the NFL.

9. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    You know, it's a real shame and i feel bad for him. He was on the path to becoming such a great player, then one injury from what i believe to be a dirty play designed deliberately by the Titans, and then his career was derailed from then on.

It's a shame for him, i'll always rout for him because it's sad to see such potential not able to be reached.

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You do realize that reality and facts doesn't back up the claim that Merriman was a result of steroid use, right? He popped for roids in April 06 which was 6 months before the season started and was suspended later that year after the season started. He had 17 sacks that year in 12 games and another 12.5 the following year. So in the 2 years following his piss test failure (Which once again was 6 months before the season started), he had nearly 30 sacks. And on top of that, Goodall came out and stated that he had passed 19 tests since being drafted, before his failure. so there is absolutely zero evidence backing up the claim that he was only good because of steroids

• Like Like x 2
  11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Such a pity. He was a great Charger.

12. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I'm sick of hearing people say that his greatness was only the result of steroids. As DB67 and Moses pointed out, it was obviously the injury to his knee that turned his career around. I've always been a fan of him, and although some people will, I'll always remember the great stuff he did for the community while he was here (i.e. - having the first house rebuilt from the fires, and doing it for free).

• Like Like x 1
  13. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    I'm sure both were a factor

• Like Like x 1
  14. pure-sol

Ratings:
    +255
    Yeah, 30 sacks without steroids is garbage! :rolleyes:

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I think he was referring to the injuries as well. Steroid abusers bodies tend to breakdown much faster.

• Like Like x 1
  16. pure-sol

Ratings:
    +255
    Yeah, that's true.

17. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    IDK. His play took a dive before that. He was never quite as explosive without the steroids. He was still good but not an all pro sackmaster like 2006. I'm not saying he sucked after no roids but he certainly wasn't as good. I think its hard to blame the knee too much at this point since its been a few years.

18. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    Hello nail, meet head.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And he passed 21 straight tests before failing a test during the off season. So there is ZERO evidence that he is any sort of "Steroid abuser"

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dude, he had his 2 best years after his failure. So this is 100% false since his test failure happened the April before the 2006 season and he was suspended for 4 games during the 06 season

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Did I mention that English is on IR as well?

22. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    Guy, I just wanna say, I just got the award for being "seriously likeable", I'd like to thank you all for this monumental achievement.

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I hope that I didn't accidently contribute to that awkward milestone. ;)

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Well, since I think everyone here is a dick, you can leave me out. :p