1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Lights out, hope flickering

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20061024-9999-1s24chargers.html

Merriman appeals drug ban; attorney blames supplement
    By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    October 24, 2006

Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman will play at least the next two weeks as he awaits a hearing to appeal his pending four-game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Merriman, the 2005 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, tested positive for a banned substance earlier this month. His hearing is tentatively scheduled for Nov. 7.

Yesterday, Merriman's attorney said he believed the substance for which Merriman tested positive was the anabolic steroid nandrolone. David Cornwell, who has represented numerous NFL players in such appeals, said he believed nandrolone was, unbeknownst to Merriman, in a nutritional supplement Merriman has taken for some time.

“He is not taking steroids,” Cornwell said. “ ... Shawne took supplements and has taken supplements for quite some time. He did not go into the back alley somewhere and put a needle in his butt for steroids.”

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    This would likely serve as a wake-up call to athletes to have each container of their supplements tested beforehand before ingesting it. :icon_eek:

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Yeah, Merriman will not get out of serving a suspension. The players are responsible to know what they are putting in their bodies. The NFL will test for free any supliment that a player has questions about. The rule is black and white.

Unfortunate, but lets call it a learning experience.

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    In another article in the UT today, his lawyer said that he has won appeals using the same defense Merriman is making. :tup:

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    What good does that do when the mfg has no quality control ?

You just give yourself a false sense of security .....

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    There are ingredients which metabolize into banned substances to finish my thought here so tested for known substances only covers your *** for so much.......

7. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Sounds like BS.

These guys are paid to know what they are putting in their bodies. It's not hard to read a fricken label...

That said, I am STOKED that we will only be without IGOR and Phillips instead of all three for the next two weeks.

GREAT NEWS.

8. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    The players can take whatever supplement they are taking to the team trainers/physicians. Let those guys decide what is legal and not legal.

Sadly some players never do this and take the responsibility upon themselves.

9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I liked these quotes from the article:
    I really think in this case Merriman didn't know what was in the supplements and I don't doubt it wasn't on the label. This is no Barry Bonds situation.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I really hope it is something like a supplement, but it sure sounds fishy.

11. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    It that's true about the NFL testing your supplements, then I suppose there may be a lot more testing going on..... even if Merriman has to serve the 4 games, hopefully it was just an innocent mistake. I would like to think that Merriman is a good, honest kid that made an honest mistake, like Castillo did.