1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Like a kid in a candy store; Chargers Training Camp 08/07/09

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I entered Chargers Park feeling like a kid who goes into his first candy store with his own money to spend. I had every intention of entering the practice and remaining aloof, distant, what I would have said a member of the media would be. But the homer in me soon showed through. Giving thumbs up to Quentin jammer when he had good coverage on a one on one drill, and wearing a grin that went ear to ear.

Yeah, the fan in me shown through, but there was a lot at training camp to make me smile. It started with one on one pressure drills. A defensive player would line up and rush the passer, while an offensive player would block them and try and prevent the QB, in this case #50 David Binn from getting pressured. There were several good pushing matches and a few players ended up on the ground. One stand out was #66, Jeromey Clary who receive several cheers from his team mates of “good block Clary!” I later, after practice got to speak with Clary, he is a gentleman and has high hopes for the season, he is also on extremely large individual whom I would not want to make angry…
    [​IMG]

Another stand out was #56 Shawne Merriman who showed his speed as he blew past the blocking player on three consecutive tries. The drill was a good one, and allowed the Offensive blocker to use leverage, while allowing the defenders to use speed. It was exciting to watch, and I can understand why they would not have a Quarterback, such as #17 Philip Rivers back there, because these young men were not fooling around, they were pushing each other around with intensity, one wrong push and the ball holder could go under a large wave of humanity. Best let the red shirts sit this one out.

During the one on one defensive back drills, #23 Quentin Jammer was displaying the coverage skills that have made him one of the premier Conrerbacks in the league. He was running stride for stride with the receivers and keeping them within an arm’s length. Jammer who is entering his 8th season still has the speed to shadow the receivers and the necessary burst to keep up with the charging pass catchers. Something else that made my grin bigger is the fact that as I watched the defensive back drills I got the feeling that #31 Antonio Cromartie was returning to the 2007 form. He made a one handed interception that looked just too easy to be real. He was in mid air and plucked the ball out of the air from beside his head.
    [​IMG]

Something else that should be noted here is that Steve Wilks, the Secondary Coach was spending time with his pupils and going over details. Details, the same thing that Defensive coordinator Ron Rivera is going over, what he added to his play book. The Chargers defensive coaching staff is appearing to be leaving nothing to chance. They are going to give their players everything they can to put them in a successful position once the balls are flying for real. This includes working with the DBs on hand placement, and walking through routes to show the players the best place to be while shadowing the receivers. I have to tell you, as a fan, seeing the coaches leaving nothing to chance makes happy. It is one part that the Chargers will need to avoid another slow start to the season. It seemed that all the players had a serious look on their face, is this team on a mission? I hope so, we should know by the 4th game of the season!
    [​IMG]

I spent some time watching Ron Rivera work his defense. It is clear to me that Rivera is a general, his players respect him and he is making sure they are doing things the way he wants them done. Again I mention details; Rivera appears from my perspective to be looking at the little things as well as the overall picture. He called out a few times telling his charges to continue pushing, or to do a drill again if he did not like the way it was done. All the while, he was watching the mass of blue shirted Chargers like a hawk.

Head Coach Norv Turner also is in command when he is on the field, several times I saw him go up and talk to a player one on one if he saw something that could be improved upon. I had an opportunity to speak with him for a brief time after practice and he indicated that though, it was a good practice and the team was getting better, that they had more improving to do. This seems to be the sentiments in Chargers camp, that they cannot rest on their laurels and feel they deserve to win. They will have to work hard and beat the teams in front of them one at a time. This is a message that can be found in camp reports, player interviews and messages from the Chargers staff.
    [​IMG]

Fans in the past have questioned whether or not Antonio Cromartie was willing to hit. Now I understand this in training camp, but Cromartie several times in the drills came up and put a hit on the receivers, one time standing the receiver up and knocking him out of bounds. The term “pads popping” certainly could be applied to the Chargers today.

I spoke with several of the members of the media at the camp. Fox Sports, CBS Sports, and other media outlets were on hand. I had the opportunity to speak in depth with the gentleman from CBS Sports about the Chargers. We spoke about the team’s chances and about the quality of players. He mentioned that the chargers have fantastic depth, that there are players on the team who are ‘under the radar’. This is definitely a good thing as that is the type player who can come in as a season goes along and provide the needed depth during December, and into the playoffs. We also spoke about the quality of individuals we have on the Chargers. I mentioned that many of them help in the community. We agreed that the leadership on the Chargers, speaking of player leadership is definitely made up of some quality individuals, and that it is that leadership that helps maintain stability and bring a culture of winning to the Chargers.

I had a fantastic day. I kept feeling that at any time the Chargers security would find out they had a fan in medias clothing in their midst. But they did not seem to mind too much. I would like to thank Bill Johnson and all of the Chargers organization for allowing Bolttalk.com to attend the camp. It was a special day that I will not soon forget.

Being a Charger homer, fan boy, stat reading ball watcher, I couldn’t end the day without taking advantage of the opportunity and getting a picture with one of my favorite Chargers. Thank you #93 Luis Castillo!
    [​IMG]

Some Random Camp Observations:
    The players are focused. Gates looked healthy, Hester looked bigger.
    [​IMG]

Tolbert is a big load, if healthy look for him to pave the road for LT and Sproles.
    [​IMG]

Clary is a BIG MAN! It is not often that at 6’ 2” I feel small, but he is a head taller than I, at 6’ 6”.
    McNeil is even bigger… I felt tiny!
    Jamal is looking good, he has a swagger on the field like a caged tiger about to pounce!
    [​IMG]

Hart was making some good plays in the one on one and seven on seven drills. Give credit where credit is due, he looks like he is challenging anyone who wants his spot to have to take it, and he won’t make it easy!
    [​IMG]

Both lines were pushing hard today, getting a nice work out. I hope this translates to solid play during the season. We all know the games are won or lost at the line of scrimmage.
    [​IMG]

Tomlinson is looking good!

Rivers made some good throws today, but had a couple of misses. More hits than misses though.

The sink hole is HUGE!

The Chargers were very gracious hosts.
    http://www.chargers.com/media-vault/videos/norv-turner/7edf2a5d-9b93-48aa-b981-3a02003ffd48
    Norv speaks about practice, players and other topics.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Like a kid in a candy store; Chargers Taining Camp 08/07/09

I will be posting all camp photos tomorrow. They all loaded small size, I am reloading them larger sized.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931

I can't begin to describe how jealous I am of you but I'm glad it turned into such an amazing experience. Congratulations Conc!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Awesome job Conc! Way to represent BT!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748

How?

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979

Now brown cow...

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Congratulations Conc!!!!

What a great opportunity!!! Great story to tell!!!

BTW... Did you tell Norv not to suck this season?!!! :lol:

8. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156

You are the man Conc. Well done and well deserved. Nobody loves his Bolts more than Conc.

What are the dimensions of that bloody sink hole?

• Like Like x 1
  9. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867

What an experience Conc! Glad you had a good time out there and thanks for sharing your observations with us.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

Nice job & congrats to you once again, bro!! :tup:

As jealous as I am of you, no one deserves it more!! :yes:

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

great stuff Curtis!

:tup:

thanks for sharing

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

12. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584

Conc, that RAWKED!!!

Congrats mang! :icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  13. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074

next time you do this, I'll trade you a game ticket............

• Like Like x 1
  14. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312

You da man Conc!

For us Charger fans that live so far away and don't get to hear the local radio or have the local papers to catch up on how the team is doing, this was fantastic! Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703

You did a awesome job Conc! Way to go... :tup: :yes: :icon_toast:

16. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210

Nice read.

Also good to see Tolbert get a mention. The guy was money for us last season.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334

Nice job Conc !!!!!!!!...........Glad you had a good day and very good reporting. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures.

18. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334

Nice write up Conc, thanks! :abq2::bolt::abq1:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505

For me Tolbert underachieved bigtime. Yes, I know he was asked to play FB, a position he never played. Hester ended up being the de-facto FB as a result. While I like Tolbert (as a RB) I think he will the odd one out this year.

20. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210

Didn't Tolbert get hurt part way through the year?

21. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715

Co-Sign:icon_toast:

22. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

Conc,

Will this be a on-going gig?

23. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200

Wow conc, great day for you. I"m sure you'll always remember this day.

24. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352

Great job Conc! Thanks for sharing your day...

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979

I hope, but that is yet to be determined.

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979

ARE WE READY FOR SOME CAMP PHOTOTS? Hmmmm....?

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]