1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Line missing ailing Fonoti

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Sep 22, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Jun 29, 2009
    Source: <a href="http://www.pe.com/sports/football/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_chargers_notes_22.186ae8e8.html" tarrget="_blank">The Press-Enterprise</a>

SAN DIEGO - The Chargers' offensive line hasn't exactly covered itself with glory this season. In two games, quarterback Drew Brees has been sacked six times, and a team featuring LaDainian Tomlinson has averaged 3.5 yards per rush.

Sunday against the New York Giants, the line will have a bit of a different look. Left guard Toniu Fonoti, who played last Sunday at Denver with a broken right hand, underwent surgery Wednesday and is not expected to play.

Kris Dielman, who replaced Fonoti in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 20-17 loss, will start. Dielman is a third-year pro from Indiana.

Fonoti had a plate inserted into the hand Wednesday.

"The idea was to get it to heal more quickly and get him closer to 100 percent more quickly," Coach Marty Schottenheimer said. "I'm sure he'll play next week. But Dielman has done a nice job for us."

Not a Draw?

Even the opportunity to boo Giants quarterback Eli Manning doesn't have Chargers fans storming the ticket windows. As of Wednesday afternoon, more than 1,300 tickets were unsold, leaving the possibility that the ESPN telecast of Sunday's 5:30 p.m. game would be blacked out locally if those tickets aren't sold by 5:30 p.m. today.

Those who do show are expected to toss plenty of invective in the direction of Manning, who informed Chargers officials before the 2004 draft that he didn't want to play in San Diego. The Chargers, who had the first pick, selected Manning anyway and then traded him to the Giants for the rights to Philip Rivers and the Giants' first-round pick in 2005. The Chargers used that pick to draft linebacker Shawne Merriman.

"I don't think it'll be too pleasant," Manning said in a conference call Wednesday. "I'm sure I'll get booed. I'm sure they'll be loud when we have the ball. That's something I've got to prepare for."

Less Than Perfect

Part of the problem in the Chargers' 0-2 start was a tendency to try too hard, quarterback Drew Brees said.

"The whole team has tried to do too much," he said. "That's what happens sometimes when you've had success. You feel like you just need to now do it better than better. But at times better is good enough to win.

"Yes, you're going out there and trying to be the best, but I think you can try too hard. I've been in that situation before, and it's not a good thing. Then you press, and bad things happen."

The solution?

"For us it's fundamentals, basics and everyone doing their job," Brees said. "Then everything will take care of itself."