1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Linebackers contribute as a unit

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers linebackers contributed as a unit during their preseason opener against the Dallas Cowboys Saturday night, showing fans that plays will be made whether starters are on the field or not.

Starters Shawne Merriman and Shaun Phillips played less than a quarter in Saturday’s victory over the Dallas Cowboys, but the real presence was felt by their backups.

Veterans Marques Harris and Carlos Polk both contributed with sacks, Harris’s being on a 3rd-and-5 play that forced the Cowboys to punt, giving San Diego the ball deep in Cowboys territory and allowing them to add a third score before halftime.

“I think we have one of the best linebacker corps in the league and it shows,” Harris said. “Whether you see it from a backup or on special teams, whoever is out there can contribute and that’s a strength that was shown tonight.”

Outside linebacker Jyles Tucker finished the game with only two tackles, a number that couldn’t begin to reflect what he actually accomplished on the field. Tucker put his pass rush skills to good use and applied pressure on Cowboys quarterback Brad Johnson, causing him to throw an interception to Chargers cornerback Quentin Jammer.

“I was just trying to make some plays and work on my pass rushing,” Tucker said.
    “Everyone was on the same page. As long as we stay like that throughout the season, I feel like we can be a championship team.”

The depth at linebacker was also seen on special teams, where second-year pro Brandon Siler handed out some big hits and recovered a fumble from a punt in the middle of the first quarter at the Dallas 31 yard line. He also downed a Mike Scifres punt on the Dallas 6.

Inside linebacker Anthony Waters also came up big with six combined tackles, falling short for the team high only to rookie cornerback Antoine Cason, who had seven.

“Those guys play well,” Merriman said. “They come in and do a great job for us and it’s always good to have depth. We have a lot of depth at linebacker on this team and that showed up tonight.”

Chargers.com

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I didn't think that Coop or Wilhelm looked very good. They could lose their starts if Smith & Waters, even Siler, come on.

3. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Word... lets hope they better next week :tup:

4. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Waters made a very nice play in the second half. He came on a blitz from the far side. The 'girls ran a rush to the near side and Waters came all the way down across the field, behind the O-line to stop the guy for a very short gain. Nice play.

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Cooper might well find himself on the bench after his suspension if he doesn't step up the the next three weeks and in the rest of camp, but I expect he will. If Smith or Waters play well enough to be starters, then Wilhelm would probably sit before Cooper. If Jamal stays reasonably fit and Castillo's ankles hold up, this defense will do some serious damage to opposing QB's ratings. Even if we have to spell them from time to time it appears we have the depth.