1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Linebacker's dilemma needs quick decision

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,848
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/10/24/sports/professional/chargers/23_18_4010_23_06.txt

By: STEVE SCHOLFIELD - Senior Sports Columnist

SAN DIEGO -- I can't figure out if Shawne Merriman is innocent or guilty.

One minute I think Merriman, the league rookie of the year a season ago, is a cheat. The next, well ... the only thing he's guilty of is poor judgement.

It depends on who or what you want to believe.

The NFL is investigating Merriman for testing positive for steroids. He could be out for four games, but he's currently appealing the suspension and was at practice on Monday.

This just might be as simple as Merriman ingesting the wrong health supplement ---- or it could mean that Merriman and Ken Caminiti would be mentioned in the same breath.

There is no middle ground in this debate.

Merriman's attorney, David Cornwell, has successfully represented many players in their drug appeals. He feels that Merriman inadvertently took the steroid nandrolone, a banned substance which often appears in supplements but not on the supplement label.

"I don't think there is a player in the National Football League that doesn't use nutritional supplements," Cornwell said. "And they don't realize they are playing Russian roulette with their careers. And you have manufacturers out there that are putting bullets into the canisters of these supplements and they are not being held accountable."

Cornwell said Merriman felt the supplement he was taking was fine because he always passed drug tests. However, according to Cornwell, manufacturers often spike their product with nandrolone to get better results.

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I may not be lookin in the right places, but I can't find anywhere that the NFL has officially announced a suspension :no: :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,848
    They have not as of yet. ESPN incorrectly announced a 4 game suspension. The NFL has only informed Merriman that he is in violation of the substance abuse policy. They have not filled out the paperwork to suspend Merriman.

This is from Chris Mortensen on 1090 this morning.

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, because he's appealing the results, the suspension won't happen until after the appeal.

Since an appeal can take some time, he might not even miss a game until towards the end of the season, when it won't be as bad.

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I was looking at the CBA and there are timeframes to get all this stuff done. It ends allowing the Commish a reasonable timeframe to issue a resolution.

The NFLPA and NFL Mgt Council have 30 days to present the grievance to the Commish for final disposition. The Commish will call a hearing to present evidence via phone or in person and then he will issue a verdict.

Sammy Morris took 5 week to get resolved in the last go around.

Plus, I have a feeling the new Commish wants to make a name for himself by grilling someone high profile.