1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Linebrink traded to MIL

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by rexy2006, Jul 25, 2007.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    for 3 MINOR LEAGUE pitchers.

Just announced on 1090.

I hope everyone is happy now.

I, for one, am not.:tdown:

2. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
  3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Wasn't it Linebrink that gave up like 4 or 5 runs to turn a 5-2 Padre late-game lead into a loss yesterday?

THat could have been the final straw.

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    word :no: :icon_sad:

5. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Inman is the key prospect from the group. He was ranked #91 in baseball by BA, #75th by BP and #37th by Project prospects.

He becomes the best prospect in the Padres system.

6. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    You've got to be kidding me. While he has had a few rough outings recently, he is a very important part of our bullpen. To trade him for minor league players??? I sure hope this is a prelude to another trade to strengthen the team. What kind of message does this send to us fans? Didn't Towers just say last week that he wanted to strengthen the bullpen and bench. How does this help that?

I don't get it...

7. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    After reading up on it a bit more, we are bringing Thatcher in to replace Linebrink in the pen. We also sent Sledge down and recalled Clay Hensley.

Wow.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    i think this will be a good deal for us long term but might hurt us short term, and we play the brewers the last four games of the season

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

I hope we are in the hunt that last weekend.

I'll be at two or three of those games if we are

:tup:

10. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Rich...I really like the trade...Linnie IMO was never our future as a closer and he has trouble spotting his fast ball...When he makes mistakes he makes them in the wrong place...UP!

The Pads needed help in the system and needed some prospects...This is no where near our go year...We are very weak...

I like the move, mostly because I am not a fan of Linebrink.

TBF

11. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    I like Bell or Merideth in the set up position (revearsable IMO).

TBF

12. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    For the long term I have no problem with the trade at all. But if we want to win THIS year, I have trouble seeing how a guy who has less than one season of experience in AAA is going to be a difference maker in a pennant race. Despite the recent struggles of the pitching staff, we still have the best ERA in all of baseball by nearly a half a run. But we are 28th out of 30 teams in runs scored and 29th in OBP. Adding a minor league pitcher doesn't help that. We need a bat, at second base or behind the plate. Barrett has been a joke since he came over from the Cubs, and Giles has struggled all year.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,631
    1 year too late.

Maybe Maddux can win a game now. Good riddance.

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    last year we would've gotten betemit for him, that's not a good deal frankly

15. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Me happy. Oh Hell no. Not for just 3 minor leage pitchers.:tdown:

Towers what were you thinking?:icon_huh: :icon_evil:

My opinion is Our pen just became a problem because we no longer have Linebrink. He was a good set up pitcher for Trevor.:icon_sad:

16. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    IMO we need a bat at 3B...

17. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    As one of Linebrink's staunchest supporters.....I like this deal.

Anyone who thought we could get that elusive "big bat" for him was only fooling themselves.

18. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    So let me ask you this: Does this trade do anything to improve the team's chances this season? I see no way to spin that replacing Linebrink with a rookie who has never pitched in the big leagues in the middle of a pennant race helps the team. Look at a few of the comments from players like Peavey who can't figure out what the team is doing, and you wonder what kind of signal this is sending to them.

Long term it might be a great trade if one or more of these young guys pan out.

19. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    I know this was addressed to someone else, but I will give my 2 cents...

I don't think this trade was intended to help us this year. Here are my reasons...

1. Padre Management was losing confidence in a player that has blown at least 5 opportunities this season and a player that in 4 months is a FA.
    2. He isn't that good at what he is supposed to do IMO.
    3. I truly believe that Padre management knows "this year" that we are nothing more then a possible division winner and two & a BBQ team in the Playoffs.
    4. Our P staff down on the farm is weak...The 1st and early round arms from the past 5 years drafts are not panning out.
    5. They saw some value in the trade at this time and realized that in the end, he is a FA and we will get nothing.
    6. They know, just as you and I that pitching and D win games!

We have pitching for this year. We can afford to lose one arm, why not pick the arm that is showing signs of weakness but yet has some value...

If we want to win this year, we need to add a bat. I come from the baseball school of...

The middle of the field (P, C, CF, SS, and 2B) are "D" first and Stick second. The corners (3B, 1B, LF and RF) are your sticks...IMO we are OK as far as sticks go with our corner players minus 3B which has been a stick in the *** for the past 5+ years... I would like to see us add M. Loretta and let him play 3B and hit in the 2 or 3 hole...

Now, the last time I mentined Lo Lo @ 3B people talked crap...But, I know me some Lo Lo...And Loretta didn't play 2 Bag as his primary positon until he came to San Diego...In fact, prior to SD, he played more SS, 3 bag and 1 bag more then 2 bag...

He doesn't have a huge bat, but he hits for average and that is a step in the right direction at this point... It would be nice to get a catcher that could both play D and Hit, but finding one of those is like finding a turd fan w/out a rap sheet...Shits impossible...

I dont' see us moving Cameron, B. Giles, Adrian or Bradley...So those positons are full...Adam Dunn would be nice, but who do you take out of their current position?

TBF

20. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    well done!

just to add .01

the giles brothers can bth go away and i wouldn't be to disappointed

21. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Some player quotes from the UT this morning.

Here is Hoffman's reaction:
    Peavey's:
    Wells':

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    To be blunt, it doesn't really help them this year. I wanted them to keep Linebrink.

That being said, Linebrink has struggled all year and the Padres' bullpen has been the best in the majors, recent struggles not withstanding.

If these three prospects are as good as I am hearing they are it's more than worth giving up one of our many bullpen arms....especially when you're talking about the one who's been steadily (sometimes rapidly) declining in performance for the past few years and is going to be a free agent at season's end anyways.

It's P-E-A-V-Y.

Sorry, pet peeve when Padres fans can't spell their favorite team's best player's name correctly.

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Players always hate it when teammates are traded.

They reacted the same way when they cut Eric Young and Vinny Castilla.....Eric Young and Vinny Castilla.

Don't judge moves by immediate responses from the players, they'll live with it, move on, and keep trying to win.

24. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I hate it when athletes from any sport complain to the public.

they get no sympathy from me.

spoiled bastards

:tdown:

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,923
    To be fair, they were most likely asked their opinion by the media...

26. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

True,

They all should know that at this level everything they say is going to be put under the microscope.

tell the media he will be missed, he was great guy, blah blah blah

and leave it at that.

don't question your boss - ever.

jmo

• Like Like x 1
  27. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    He has blown a lot of games lately, but dont know if it waranted a trade.
    They need to get rid of Brocail. That guy has sucked his whole career and is one of those pitchers who is raking in millions for being mediocre.

28. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    This is where people are confusing the situation...

We didn't get rid of him...We have two capable pitchers in the pin to fill his role. He had stock that was possibly dwendling...We upgraded our arms on the farm and moved a pitcher that we would have gotten zero for in 4 months.

TBF

29. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Actually, they would have gotten two draft picks for him, something our team covets.

I have no problem with the trade for the long term success of the team. 3 pitchers with potential for the last two months of a player's contract is a huge potential long term bonus for the team.

My problem is that the division is up for grabs and we need help badly. Linebrink could have been used to get major league help for the team right now, and we didn't use him for that. I don't think the current roster is good enough. We might be able to squeak by the Dodgers and sneak into the playoffs, but we will more than likely just repeat what has happened the past two years. Recent struggles aside, the pitching staff is good enough to win it all. The offense is so bad that the extra pressure on the staff is starting to take it's toll. I read the other day that in Peavy's last 5 starts, the team has scored a grand total of 2 runs while he was in the game. That is just pathetic. We can't win with what we have.

30. rexy2006

Ratings:
    +1,842
    Rumors are hot and heavy about the Padres gettin Loretta back. ( would that be "Get Back, Loretta?)

Whilst I know he could help us on the bench, I dont think Black would start him over Marcus, who he is better than. Lo would supposedly be to give AGon a break and for "help" at second. Whatever exactly that means.