1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Linval Joseph? Check it out

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Mar 13, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Linval Joseph, DT, East Carolina
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 328.
    Combine 40 Time: 5.09.
    Benchx225: 39.
    3/2/10: I know 40 times don't mean much for nose tackles, but a 5.09 at 328 pounds is damn impressive. Also, 39 reps shows that Joseph is in good shape.

1/24/10: Linval Joseph has declared for the 2010 NFL Draft. Joseph had 60 tackles, 13 TFL and three sacks as a junior.

IMO he could be a great steal in the 2nd round if Cam Thomas is off the boards... He is big (328 lbs), strong (39 reps), and fast for a guy his size (5.09 40).
    I'm telling you guys, this DT class is deep with a lot of good players. No need to waste our 1st on Cody. Linval isn't quite as large as Cody yet he is in tremendous shape and has a really good upside.

2. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    He was on my radar a month ago, and trust me, he will fall to the 4th round. He would be another project like VM.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    I agree with this. He's intriguing because of his size, but he's quicker than he is strong. 3-4 DE for sure.

NT candidates...Dan Williams, Terrance Cody, Cam Thomas, and Torrell Troup. They are the only legit ones I see, both Thomas and Troup are more than likely available @ 60.

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If that is true (I am not draft expert), then I would wait till the 2nd to get our NT. Then I would go ILB, DE, or CB @28, because our defense needs a lot of help, much more than the offense does (Unless the scheme changes slightly)

5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    :icon_huh:

ILB- We're solid with Cooper, Siler, Burnett, and Dobbins. Upgrade is possible, but not at the cost of passing on a NT or RB.
    DE- We have WAY too many. Castillo, Martin, Ngwabuo, Cesaire, Scott, and Johnson (who we already spent our 5th on)
    CB- Not an immediate need with Jammer and Cason in place, and Gregory did a great job at nickle last year. With Brandon Hughes coming back and signing Donald Strickland, I'd wait till round 3 or 4 to develop a guy who fits our scheme.

Ideally for me I'd go RB in the 1st, after that I don't care if we go defense with every pick we have left.

6. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    I agree with you 90%--I think trading up to snag Spikes, if available at ILB, would be an excellent move. I do not trust Cooper's production, Burnett's injury history, or Dobbins not being spirited away...it is sad how the only ILB I really trust (Siler) was an R7 pick who was forced into the ILB role because we had nobody else, and he has exceeded any and all expectations.

Any coincidence that Spikes and Siler are both Florida alumni? :abq1:

7. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Not this again... lol. But if Spikes was there at 28 and we felt like we needed a defensive leader, he would be the perfect fit but with all do respect to Sproles and..er.. Mason, we need a starting RB

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    ILB- Cooper sucks. Siler, Dobbins, and Burnett are good players but not starter quality. ILB needs a HUGE upgrade

DE- I agree we have a lot, but none are impact players. every single one of them is a good rotation player. None are legit starter, including Castillo who has been non-existant since getting his monster contract

CB- Not a huge need, but if my choice was a stud CB like Wilson or Cody, I am taking the Wilson, and going after Thomas in the 2nd.

What it comes down to is I believe taking a RB in the 1st is a wasted pick because in this system, we can get just as much productivity out of a 3rd rounder as we will out of a 1st. Neither will get over 4ypc and may barely be a 1000 yard back. And unless Williams drops to us in the 1st, There are no other projected 1st round NT's I would even touch, basically, I wouldn't touch Cody's fat lazy ***

9. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    Yea man but you have to realize how deep this draft is at RB. Honestly WORST case scenario we could draft a Hardesty, Dixon, Bell, or even someone like Starks and we would have an IMMEDIATE upgrade over what LT was last year. As long as we have PR and Norv we will never NEED a HOF RB, sure it would be a great bonus, but it's not a NEED. I think we need a grinder, someone that can run between the tackles and get the tough yards as well as catch the ball outta the backfield.

I'd take Weatherspoon over Spikes 10x's over BTW..

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Joseph looks like a decent possibility in the third, I just worry with so many teams going to a 3-4 if someone will take him in the second round since I keep seeing Thomas shoot up the draft boards because he's a rare 3-4 NT.

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Didn't you just describe Tolbert? And didn't we draft Hester for the same thing?

12. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Yea I did, he's (Tolbert) not quite as quick as I was envisioning. -- I was NEVER high on Hester. He ran a 4.62 but it looks to me more like he runs a 6.0. It's not only speed, its vision, and being able to get in and out of your cuts with quickness, Hester has NONE of that.

13. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    D-Bolt, Siler has proven to be starter quality in his limited opportunities. Burnett likely is when healthy, as well.

Spikes, as an R2 pick, would be an excellent choice, but Siler was admirable last year, in particular, and I patently hope he IS one of our starters.

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The comment was " I think we need a grinder, someone that can run between the tackles and get the tough yards as well as catch the ball outta the backfield", nothing was said about speed. Both can pound the ball and move the pile

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Wilhelm also looked to be starter quality in limited opportunities. Some times, players are just good role players. I like Siler, but he just hasn't shown anything more than to be a good run stuffer.

I am fine with Siler and Burnett in a "platoon" situation, but we need a replacement for Cooper, big time

16. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Dude, he was the ONLY run stuffer on our D. You also have to take into account that we had straight up scrubs rotating at NT. ILB's best friends are NT's, when they are doing their job the ILB's can shoot gaps and clog holes, if they aren't its ALL on the ILB which is a TALL task.

Wilhelm NEVER did what Siler did last year and he had JWal playing down in front of him.-- Sure Siler may not be a Willis or Lewis but he's a pretty good ILB and is only going to get better. Pair up a Weatherspoon or Spikes inside with him and throw down a Cam Thomas or Troup, rotating with OG and I bet you'd think differently about Siler.

17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    I think there is a clear difference between "upgrades" and "needs". RB, NT, and RT are needs. Meaning we have nobody we can trust as a consistant starter in those positions. ILB, DE, and CB are all upgradable, but not exactly necessary because we do have decent (albeit limited) starters in place.

This is not a year that we have the luxury of worrying about upgrades, this is a year I think we need to address needs.

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I would be good with that, and I agree that a NT is needed for a ILB to be good. And a I said, I would be fine with Siler/Burnett on one side as long as Cooper is replaced by a quality player.

If we get a top ILB in the 1st and a NT in the 2nd, then we go RB in the 3rd, it would be one of the best drafts in many years

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You must have Missed AJ's interview last week on XX, he said he was VERY confident in the line as is. So although I agree RT needs to be upgraded, AJ doesn't sound like he thinks it is a need

20. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    I agree, it really comes down to WHO is left come time for us to pick. Something like one of these for 1,2,3 would be wonderful

1) Weatherspoon/Spikes
    2) Cam Thomas/Troup
    3) Hardesty/Dixon

OR

1) Mt Cody/Williams
    2) Sean Lee
    3) Hardesty/Dixon

OR

1) Weatherspoon/Spikes
    2) Tate/Gerhart
    3) Troup

More than likely Troup will be there in the 3rd..

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I would be happy with Williams, but I wouldn't touch Cody with a 10' pole. We don't need another fat Fonoti type player who can't maintain a playing weight

22. Shumway

Shumway BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    But we seemed to do OK with the exact same 'needs' last year. (I don't think the meltdown against the Jets suggests that we didn't have a team capable of competing for a Superbowl).

I don't really know what ultimately cost us vs the Jets - but I suspect it was something intangible rather than the lack of a RB, NT or RT.

From that perspective, we had a team that was good enough to cover those needs and any Upgrade will serve as exactly that. Winning a Superbowl isn't necessarily about having the most balanced team (i.e. having consistent starters in every position).

23. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34

I think he's much more driven and smart than Fonoti ever was. People are appalled by Cody bc thoes Sr Bowl (shirtless) weigh-in pictures. I guarantee you Vince Wilfork doesn't look like a stud with his shirt off. -- I may be wrong but I have never heard that Cody ever had a problem with playing at the right weight. Saban said he was around 350 give or take 5 LB's all of last year.

Do you not think it's ironic that the best ILB this year was playing behind Cody?

Remember how everyone thought Ayers was gonna be a pimp daddy sack master? That was because he was playing behind Dan Williams, these oafs do much more than most can tell.

24. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    As far as the Jet game I think it was 90% mental, 10% getting pushed around.

AJ is purging the locker room of the cancers so that should help the mental aspect.

If you re-watch the final drive of the game you will see our D line was getting blown 3-5 yards off the ball. All we needed was _1_ stop, just ONE and PR and CO. would have put that game in the bag. When it came down to it our D line got punked and we lost the football game.

Sure, you could make the argument that if we had an established running game we could have tired their D out and managed the game better. That's why I think a Tate/Hardesty/Dixon or Gerhart will suffice. Unless we trade up for Spiller I do not see a need to take a RB in the first, plain and simple.

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I couldn't care less about the pics, the fact that he put on about 25 lbs from the end of the season to the Sr. Bow, shows that he isn't willing to do what it takes to KEEP the weight off.

Once he gets his pay day, I have a hard time believing he will keep the weight off. and if he can't, he is nothing more than a 2 down player who isn't worth a 1st round pick.

I understand the need for a dominant NT, I just do not believe Cody will even be in the league 5-6 years from now, or he will be an average over weight lineman that are a dime a dozen

26. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Yea, it COULD happen but based on everything I have seen/read he is a good character kid that actually has a pretty good work ethic. He could be 34343LB's as long as he can play through a whole NFL football, I really do not care.

There is a VERY slim chance Dan Williams is there @ 28 and Cam Thomas and Troup are not 1st round material, hell they might not even be 2nd round material. If Cody is there @ 28 I am ALL in. -- Oh, plus it's my son's name so I'd be pumped to buy, and wear his jersey :lol:

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree that Williams will probably not be there, but he is the ONLY NT I would take in the 1st. as I said, I wouldn't touch Cody

28. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    Little things buddy, just the threat of a running game may have taken pressure of Rivers enough to where he doesn't need to throw into triple coverage with his back to the endzone.

Having a legit NT would have helped us control the LOS, keeping blockers off our LB's, ultimately keeping Shaun Greene out of the endzone in the 4th quarter.

Fix the needs, then worry about upgrades.

29. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    maybe its just me but that 1st hit looked a lil late:icon_huh::icon_shrug:

30. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Tim Tebow is a florida almumni:icon_rofl: