1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Little man can carry big load

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Friday, Dec 21, 2007
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

As a senior at Kansas State, Darren Sproles averaged 20 carries per game and rushed for 1,318 yards. He carried the load throughout his college career and knew that he could do so in the NFL if given the chance.

Last week against Detroit, Sproles carried a career-high 25 times and for 122 yards. It was no surprise to him, but Sproles smiled when asked if the performance possibly silenced critics who thought his 5-6, 181-pound frame couldn’t handle the beating that would come with such prolonged action.
    “Some people thought I could just do my third-down stuff and be a return guy,” Sproles said. “It was fun to get back there and run it like that. I knew I could do it.”

Should the Chargers have another opportunity to spell LaDainian Tomlinson Monday night like they did last week against Detroit, Sproles and Michael Turner will share the remaining carries.

Like Sproles, Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner wasn’t surprised with what the third-year back displayed last week.

“I think we know what he’s had,” Norv Turner said. “He’s done those things in preseason games and on special teams stuff. The fact that he got to do it with 25 carries, that was impressive.”

Throughout his life, Sproles has let his play on the field drown out those who might doubt his physical prowess. He was pleased with how his second half against the Lions once again erased some doubts.

“It’s another thing where I have to overcome the size thing,” Sproles said. “That’s not new. I’m okay with it. I had a lot of fun Sunday and would love a chance to do it again.”

Injury update

Defensive end Luis Castillo (ankle), linebacker Shawne Merriman (knee), quarterback Philip Rivers (knee) and running back Michael Turner (shoulder) were all limited in Friday’s practice. Castillo, Merriman and Turner are questionable while Rivers is probable.

Rivers and Billy Volek split practice reps again Friday like they have the last two weeks. Merriman told reporters Thursday that he hopes to play Monday, which came as no surprise to his head coach.

“That’s what he does, he plays football,” Turner said. “If he’s ready to go and the doctors and trainers feel like he’s not putting himself at any risk, it would be good for him to get to play.”

Turner didn’t seem as optimistic about Castillo’s chances to play this week.

“It would be great for him to get some work, but we’ll see how he makes it through,” Turner said. “He’s had two practices and was limited (in both). We’ll see how he does tomorrow.”

Hot seller

According to a report in Monday’s Sports Business Daily, Tomlinson leads the league in jersey sales for 2007. Reggie Bush currently ranks second, followed by Brian Urlacher, Peyton Manning and Brett Favre.

Still growing

The more time Rivers and wide receiver Chris Chambers have to work together, the more comfortable they seem to be with each other. Chambers led the Chargers with four catches for 69 yards last week despite only playing just over two quarters.

Chambers is just 150 yards shy of his second career 1,000-yard season. He has eight catches for 159 yards in the Bolts last two games. The Chargers are 6-2 since he joined the team. In eight games with the Bolts, Chambers is averaging 15.5 yards per catch. He’s caught 28 passes in his eight games with the Chargers.

Another milestone

Tight end Antonio Gates needs one touchdown catch to get to 10 for the season. It would be the third 10-touchdown season of his career, making him the first tight end in NFL history (according to Stats, Inc.) with three seasons of 10-or-more TD catches. Gates, Tony Gonzalez and Wesley Walls are currently the only TEs in NFL history with two 10-TD seasons.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Cut Sproles!!!

:lol:

3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Sproles is who we thought he was.

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Love to see him in action against the Donks. Means we have a lead and Sproles can have all the fun he wants at their expense.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    My boi is the schnizzle, fo sho!!! :lol:

Found out that a guy that I work with lived in KC, taught at Kansas, has known Darren all of his life, Darren went to school with his son, & my co-worker coached the soccer team that Darren played on.

As soon as I get his jersey, he's gonna get it signed for me. :tup:

Go, Mighty Mouse!!!!!!! :icon_banana:

6. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I'll bet he was an awesome soccer player. If he'd picked that over football, I see him as a premier player in Europe. With his speed and agility he would probably bring back memories of Pele´.

7. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I'm pulling hard for both these guys. Chambers has been awesome and even though it's really just an arbitrary number I would love for him to get 1K yards this year. Chambers is probably the most appreciative guy on our squad right now.

And I love Gates and want his name all over the record books. Get him in the house!!!! :bolt:

8. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Great story.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Very cool story, Chippie. I can tell that you're a Mighty Mouse fan, too. :tup:

Here's to another 100 yard game for my boi!! :abq2: :icon_party: