1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Liuget extended

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Jun 9, 2015.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Sportscenter app just reported the Chargers locked up Liuget 5yrs/50+million.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,024
  3. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    It's good that we got him re-signed, but the price is a bit on the steep side for a guy that has been good, but not great for us. Hopefully, Liuget's best is yet to come.

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Just like Derek Cox. ;)

5. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Glad they inked a deal with him. Wonder where that leaves the salary cap and who might be next?

6. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    My reaction at first was just like it was with the Butler contract (before Butler sucked for us last year). I wanted us to keep the player, but I felt that we clearly paid too much money for a player that, while a good player, had done nothing to justify being paid so much.

And I probably would have been "kinda okay" with overpaying Liuget, but then I started thinking about Weddle still being unsigned.

How is Weddle not going to argue that he is much better than Liuget (and he is) and that he should, therefore, be making significantly more per season than Liuget is making?

Now, because of the Liuget contract, I see no way for the team to keep Weddle without giving him a significant raise to account for the degree to which he is better than Liuget.

Honestly, I think the above could have been avoided entirely if we had completed the negotiation with Weddle first and then the team could have argued in contract negotiations with Liuget that Liuget is good, but he is no Eric Weddle, so he has to get less than Weddle.

I realize that they do not play the same position and that the pay scales at each position are going to differ, but I see this as yet another flawed action by Telesco. Not his worst to be sure, but he keeps missing on his chances to make the best of situations.

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Michael Gehlken ‏@UTgehlken 3m3 minutes ago

Corey Liuget five-year extension features $51.25M in new money, sources said. Includes $7.5M signing bonus, $30.477M total guaranteed.

8. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    As reported (I still haven't seen the specific yearly breakdown), it sounds like the guaranteed money is flat out terrible from the team's perspective.

We will have a gigantic salary cap hit if things go south with Liuget (injury, going all Butler) because of that guaranteed money number.

It looks like a bad contract for the team, but a real coup for Liuget.

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Ah yes, the self sabotage by Telesco keeps rolling on. ;)

Ironically a lot of people said the same thing about Weddle's contract a few years ago. It was seen as AJ taking a big financial risk on a guy he didn't think had maxed his potential yet.

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I am very happy they got this done, I do think it is a little steep of a price they're paying him. His deal puts him at the top of 3-4 DE's which he isn't playing close to yet. Here's to hoping they're paying for what he's going to do and not what he has done.

11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
  12. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
  13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Haha you'd give $51M to Weddle? Hahahah

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    That's what you took away from my post? Wow! SMH.

I would give Weddle $10M-$11M per year and maybe just a bit more to secure the small signing bonus. I would give him a small signing bonus. I would sign him for no more than 4 years, with the last two years being avoidable in a reasonably team friendly way due to the small signing bonus. That, of course, is the point of the small signing bonus. All guaranteed money to be payable within two years.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    I would just give him a new car...

car.jpg

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551