1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Live: Norv's Monday Press Conference...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by nickelbolt, Sep 17, 2007.

1. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    http://www.chargers.com/fan_zone/live.htm

It's 4:12 pm now. No action yet, but I hear the reporters mumbling...

Holy crap... you have to log in... some of these reporters are just tearing Rivers and the Defense apart!!! WOW.

Some comments I've heard so far:

"What was that??? Rivers looked like he was in a fricken daze!"

"It looked like friggin' sandlot football... nobody covering anyone... jeezus..."

2. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Mike Goff and Shane Olivea have minor injuries!!!

:abq2: :abq2: :abq2:

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Norv signed his "Letter of Resignation" and now we can start winning!!!

:abq1: :abq2: :flag: :tup: :icon_party: :icon_toast:

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  5. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Don't you WISH..........sigh.........

6. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    What a boring coach. If that was Manusky he would be going apeshit and we would be entertained. If it were Morty we would laugh at his stupid excuses LOL!!!

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    You haven't seen a Bill Belichick press conference have you?

We can always hire Jim Mora, Sr. and his "entertaining" outburst of "Playoffs?!?!?!? Playoffs?!?!?!? Don't talk to me about playoffs!"

8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    See how happy he got when they asked him if he slept?

YEAH, I SLEPT!

Yes... we know Norv. But there was a football game going on!!!

9. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851

You've been doing that quite frequently lately, getting on your knees before MTL.

Should the BoltTalk staff consider buying you a monthly knee-pad subscription?

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
  11. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Norv's kind of a mush mouth...

did he just say Oshtons... instead of "Options"?

12. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Like his posts last year that kept getting him banned?

13. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    ... the gist of it .....

Statement:

I'll give you the injury report the best I can, day to day ...

Mike Goff - bruised knee
    Shane Olivea - back strain
    E. Parker - making progress
    Shaun Phillips - quad contusion
    Matt Wilhelm - different spot on calf, did it in pre-game warmups
    Jamal Williams - hyperextended elbow strain
    Stephen Cooper - neck strain
    Clinton Hart - slight hamstring strain

Questions -

Going through and looking at the game the most concerning thing to me is that we turned the ball over three times in the first half. If you turn the ball over, you don't give yourself a chance.

If you look at this experience and look at it, grow from it, going against a spread offense ....... missing Wilhelm hurt, as he took all the reps in practice, Matt leaving early had an effect on that.

We were not unprepared, on a number of plays we played it well. We didn't tackle well in space.

We did miss a check and gave up the big play to Moss down the seam.

When Matt went out he was instrumental in some of those checks and we dropped coverage.

In terms of getting our front called and getting our secondary rotation called, that is part of it, we should handle it better than that.

We had some plays that were impressive, they had very impressive physical plays, our problem was (wasn't???) being physical, it was not being able to handle them in space.

We need to be more physical and finish plays better, but there were a lot of plays we finished real well.

I thought Jeremy (Clary) went in there and did some things very well.

If we played NE again ...... <missed it - audio>

Our approach in second half was to get a way to score. We did and created a turnover, then couldn't do anything after that.

I thought it was too early when it was 17-0 to do that (go for it on 4th down).

I'm concerned because of the standard here and we expect to be more productive, we played two outstanding football teams. I go back to the playoff game, and that was not a high scoring game. It was close throughout the game, but we won't be more productive if we turn the football over.

He (Rivers)is making good decisions. He made a good decision on the first play, just made a bad throw. The INT for a TD, he had someone in the flat, but came off it too soon and threw it to the LB.

This is a veteran group, they know it's a long season. A year ago they came back from Baltimore. A loss is a loss. This group can put in behind them, they've done it before and will do it again.

NE was at home, a night game, they were extremely sharp. I give them all the credit in the world. They played well, and we didn't play as well as we can.

I think the biggest thing is, as a competitor, is that it eats you inside. I hope there is anger. We can and need to play better. That will show up when we go back to work to prepare for Green Bay.

I saw good things on tape, guys blocking downfield, throwing blocks on ST's, Merriman was flying all over, better than he did in the playoff game. It wasn't a lack of effort.

A game can steam roll. (Talking about his Cowboy days as OC) in 1992 we got beat the first year we went to the Super Bowl, Philadelphia beat us, Reggie White was great. This group (Chargers) expects to play at a high level.

There are certain things you have to do to win every game, take care of the football, not give up big plays, manage the game, do your job.

They played with confidence and momentum. They got off to a good start in week one.

(About the WR group) - I think VJ is doing well, and continuing to play better. He's growing. Malcom got an opportunity to play and made a big catch.

I go into every game expecting to play well. When it doesn't happen you need to come back and talk about it. The preparation, focus, look at the film, find the breakdowns. Where did they make plays and what did we do to contribute to that where they made plays.

Basically I am calling the plays. I look last week at the Bear game a number of times, you can break it down by drive on why you didn't score. This game when you turn the ball over you don't give yourself a chance. We should be scoring more points and we will continue to work on that.

(On not running the ball well) In certain situations we're getting a lot up in the front, more in the Bear game, the defenses have a strong committment against the run, and in this game there wasn't enough carries.

(Pressure on Rivers) The pressure is on everyone involved. It goes to the protection, route running, play calling, getting in and out into the play, then making the decision.

With Matt Wilhelm I don't think it's as severe. Wednesday we'll have a better idea.

If Shane couldn't go I think we'll go with Clary. Roman has played and we have great confidence in him. We have options.

(I think Canepa asked this: Is there something you can say to reassure people that things will get better?) I don't know anything you say will reassure anybody. We have to go perform. We're playing a good team in Green Bay. They are playing with great confidence. They have a great defense and one of the best QB's to ever play the game.

LT hasn't expressed frustration. He can look at the tape and see what is the good and what is the bad and what we're trying to get done. He understands and he will have great days.

14. twilight15

twilight15 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Great...Just great...8 of our starters injured in just 2 weeks of the season...:icon_sad:

15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Thanx for that, Bro!! :tup: :flag:

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Buck up! Back the Bolt!

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Damn right, Conc! I'm pissed off, disappointed, embarrassed, but I ain't beaten!

Get it together - fans & team alike! We've got a lot of season left yet.

• Like Like x 1