1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Lo Neal arrested for DUI (but claims he wasn't)

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Lorenzo Neal disputes that he was arrested
    Posted by Mike Florio on July 6, 2011, 2:17 PM EDT

In what appears to be an item from the potato-potahto/tomato-tomahto file, veteran NFL fullback Lorenzo Neal claims that he wasn’t arrested for DUI. Even though the cops said he was.

“Lorenzo Neal was not arrested,” Neal told Alexan Balekian of KMJ 105.9 FM. “Lorenzo Neal got cited.”

But here’s what CHP Officer Axel Reyes told KFSN-TV: “A basic field sobriety test determined he was driving under the influence and then placed him under arrest.”

So while Neal apparently wasn’t taken downtown (possibly because of his involvement with Safe Rides Solutions, a professional driver service and DUI prevention program operated by law enforcement professionals), KFSN reported that Neal was arrested because . . . wait for it . . . the cops said he was. :rolleyes:

Neal admits that he “maybe had some drinks out on the golf course,” that he “made a bad choice,” that he got into a minor car accident, and that he was over the legal limit.

“I was very, very close to the limit,” Neal said. “I don’t know, 0.11 or 0.10. The legal limit is 0.08.”

Neal bristles at the notion that he was “being irresponsible” or “reckless.” But, frankly, he was.

The fact that no one was hurt or injured doesn’t matter. The law presumes that anyone with a blood-alcohol concentration of 0.08 percent or greater is impaired. And while he can shrug at the fact that he “only” had a 0.11 or a 0.10, that’s still at least 25 percent above the legal limit.

Ideally, every driver of a large, heavy, rolling steel box would at all times have a blood-alcohol concentration of 0.00. In Neal’s case, his playing weight of 255 pounds coupled with the BAC chart suggests that he had at least six or seven drinks before driving, possibly more if he consumed those drinks over the full course of 18 holes of golf.

In the interview, which is available at the KMJ website, Neal complains about the fact that the incident received so much publicity. But what does he expect? When someone has a high profile in the community, a DUI arrest/citation/whatever will attract attention. Especially when the guy is directly involved in preventing drunk driving. (It’s the Chris Hansen effect.)

I came away from listening to the Lorenzo Neal interview with three conclusions. First, Neal seems to think drinking while playing golf and then driving is different from and/or better than binge drinking and then driving. There isn’t, and it’s not. Drunk driving is drunk driving, not matter what is consumed or where it’s consumed or how much is consumed. Second, Neal seems to think that the special treatment he possibly received from the cops should extend to the media and the fans. Third, more than two seasons after he last played in an NFL game, Neal’s sense of entitlement and privilege remains in midseason form.

2. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    He'd better watch out...the cop who shot Foley might come looking for him.

3. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Ah, but what if he consumed the drinks through enemas? Would that still be drinking and driving? Law doesn't say anything about being buttoxicated.

4. Shu303

Shu303 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Thats a bummer.....DUI for a .10 is a real drag......not to mention coming off a nice round on the links. Hmm....I wonder what I would blow after throwin back 6 or 7 drinks :)

5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074

A College sorority initiation procedure?

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Yeah I've heard that one before

7. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    I don't know about the sorority, but I would think they would be more apt to do douche bongs. Douche bag delight.

8. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    1. Florio is a dork.
    2. LoNeal might actually get out of this scot-free.
    3. LoNeal is a dumbass for talking about out it with anyone else but his attorneys.
    4. Why the **** do I care about this enough to post this?

9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    1. Tell us something we don't know.
    2. He certainly got treated with kid gloves considering he hit a pole for crying out loud.
    3. It's hard to think of a stupider thing he could've done (besides the initial incident).
    4. We're all just passing time....... what would you like us to post? ;)

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    It definetly puts a new wrinkle in the meaning,

“lets go get Sh** Faced”

11. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    This has Freudian slip written all over it....
    oh, and welcome to the Forum.

12. Shu303

Shu303 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    LOL!!! yeah, should have probably rephrased that........

and Thank you lol

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I still like Lo... Everyone makes mistakes.