1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Lo Neal calls Rivers a "great man".

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by PhilipRivers#1, Jan 16, 2008.

1. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    And Phil Simms defends Rivers too !

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/rivers-talks-plays.htm
    ----------------------------------------------------

Former Giants quarterback Phil Simms, who will broadcast Sunday’s AFC Championship Game between the Chargers and Patriots on CBS, has one simple reaction when he sees the way the national media is picking apart Philip Rivers’ psyche this week.

“Thank God they didn’t cover the NFL the way they do now when I played because who knows what I was saying to people,” said Simms.

Rivers has been a hot topic on talk shows and in papers of late after cameras have caught him talking to opposing fans and jabbering with opponents on the field. Those isolated incidents have led some to call Rivers immature, selfish and arrogant, but those who are around him every day see the exact opposite.

“If we had more guys in the National Football League be the father he is, be as committed as he is to the team, it would be a lot better league,” fullback Lorenzo Neal said. “He’s a man of belief. Philip is a great father. He’s a great man. He’s good in the community. Everyone in this locker room loves him. It’s unfortunate that people misperceive him the way they seem to.”

For Rivers, having some friendly banter on the field is as much a part of his game as his 27-8 record as a starter. He finds it unfortunate that people have painted him in a negative light because he plays the game the only way he knows how.

“It’s kind of surprising really to be honest with you,” Rivers said. “I’m out there having a good time as I did in the backyard since I was five years old. I’m not saying anything out of line. There’s no profanity being used. I know what I’m about. My teammates know, my family knows and everything else I can’t worry about.”

Rivers’ teammates don’t have any issue with his approach to the game. If anything, they appreciate his sincerity.

“That’s who Philip is,” tight end Antonio Gates said. “He’s genuine. That’s why we all appreciate him. He never tries to be anything that he’s not. He does it his way. He’s been pretty successful doing it his way so I don’t have a problem with it. If he were talking and we were losing that would be one thing, but last I checked his record is pretty good.”

Before each game, the broadcast crew spends some time in production meetings with the key players they’ll be covering that week. Simms has gotten to know Rivers pretty well through those meetings, and the two-time Super Bowl winner likes the fiery young signal caller.

“Some of the stuff that happens on the field, it just doesn’t bother me the way it seems to bother a lot of other people,” Simms said. “It’s an emotional game. He’s been an emotional quarterback ever since I started following him at North Carolina State.”

Neal has a hard time figuring out why Rivers is being criticized for things that other players have received passes for. Earlier this season, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady got in the face of Steelers defensive back Anthony Smith after throwing a touchdown pass to the man Smith was covering. Earlier in the week, Smith drew attention by guaranteeing a Pittsburgh victory.

“No one says anything when Brady goes up and they’re head to head and they’re talking with Brady in his face,” Neal said. “It’s okay for him but when Philip does it, it’s just, ‘He’s so immature.’ I don’t get it.”

Simms finds it interesting that some quarterbacks are criticized for being too lackadaisical while Rivers is being looked down upon for his passion for the game.

“Here in New York, all they do is complain that Eli Manning doesn’t show enough emotion,” Simms said. “I always say this: you just be who you are and try to smooth out some of the edges when you get the chance. That’s who he is and that’s what makes him work and that’s how he gets it done.”

Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner and Simms would both advise Rivers that talking to fans isn’t the smartest move.

“That’s a battle you can’t win,” Simms said.

But both can appreciate the fire and emotion the young quarterback displays. Rivers contends it’s the only way he knows how to play, and since it’s been successful, he doesn’t plan on altering his game any time soon.

“As you can see, since that Denver week when things got blown out of proportion, I haven’t changed since then,” Rivers said. “If you’ve followed me around since I was five years old you’d see the same thing every Saturday afternoon in the backyard. You saw it for 51 games at NC State and you’ll probably catch something this weekend. Do I mean any harm by it? No. Again, I’m just going to have fun.”

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I heard Howie Long on Dan Patrick Show yesterday say that the QB he played against who talked the most "trash" was probably Phil Simms. He also said "...but then... you have to be a leader, too".

The thing that pisses me off the most is that people aren't acknowledging that he is leading this team. His play over the last 9 weeks has been Pro Bowl Caliber. His team is feeding off his play and his energy. He is a direct reflection of this team's attitude in the second half of the season.

That said, I do wish he would cool it just a bit... but only because this story is spinning out of control and really becoming annoying. The kid can handle it, though.

If he wins this weekend, the media will be compelled to STFU... right after they offer their apologies for questioning his dedication, ability, maturity and leadership.

3. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192
    This is a team. Hearing Neal and Phillips stand up for Rivers is awesome, and it will only solidify the us against the world mentality. They will go into New England as a team, and they will leave as a team.

4. Jmurns

Jmurns BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    After the Chargers beat Indy last week, I said "I don't care if we win next week, it was just enough to get to the AFC Championship game". But with all this crap in the media this week, I want the Chargers to win more than ever. And if I feel this way, just imagine how the team feels. I want them to look at every single ****ing neagtive article written them this week. I want them pissed. I want them dissed. Then I want them to take it out on the mother****ing Patriots. I want Rivers to **** all over that ***** Colin Cowherds microphone. I want those ****nuts Faggy and Faggier In The Morning to suck Charger ****. I want this win.
    The national sports media has really turned to ****. It's more sensational and biased than I've ever seen it. The John Clayton's of the world are far and few between. Now ESPN hires people such as Marwaan Maalouf, who was "was the special teams quality control coach for the Cleveland Browns for two years and the scouting administrator also assisting with the offense the previous year.". I kid you ****ing not. This dude was a freaking secretary for the Browns and now he's calling out PR in an ESPN chat. Anyways, **** everyone, go Chargers.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I love the things Rivers does. Especially when he taunted the Raiders fans because they cheered when the thought he was hurt and talked back to the Pony fans because they though he might not return to the game!!!

Let Rivers be Rivers!!!:bolt:

If other fans don't like it... Fuc Em'!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. WeStrikeSunday

WeStrikeSunday BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    This is great, people in the media finally speaking up ( Jamie Dukes, and Phil Simms) And now Teammates this is what i wanted to hear for the past weeks. Now i truely can say confidently that Skip and that jerk agreeing with him that rivers team doesnt like him or isnt behind him . can shove that up his *** . :abq1: EMBRACE THE RIVERS!

7. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    I SECOND THAT SCREW EM ALL LET THE BOLTS SORT EM OUT ILL BE AT THE GAME REPRESENTING YOU KNOW HOW I DO ILL BE WEARIN MY YANKEE WINTER HAT AND MY CHARGERS GEAR FK NEW ENGLAND I BLEED BLUE AND GOLD ,AND THIS TIME I AM YELLING CAUSE IM PUMPED THE FK UP GO CHARGERS!!!!!!

8. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40

It reminded me of:

[​IMG]
    Are you not entertained? Is this not what you came for?

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,139
    Russel Crow in a semi bondage dress?:icon_huh:

10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,338
    The media compelled to STFU? Never. This story will not die, no matter how many Lombardis we win. Once the media creates a story they don't let it go, but that would mean they'd have to work to create a new one. It's easier just to regurgitate the old one.

11. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    something like that:unsure:

12. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194
    :tounge::tup:

RIVERS JUST STARTING YET

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,556
    You know all this crap about everyone hating the QB and thinking LT is a whining beyatch and whatnot, isn't that the sort of things that (when it happens to the patriots) it brings the team together and makes them stronger??

14. WeStrikeSunday

WeStrikeSunday BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Hard times make teams, familys and groups come together... Just always seems to be that way.