1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Lo Neal on 1090

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Oct 20, 2009.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Darren Smith interviewing him right now (2:15pm Tuesday). Darren just asked him "Is Norv a good coach?". He's dancing around the question but basically saying he's not. He said look at the record the past few years. Said he's a great "football mind" but the record speaks for himself. Sounds to me like a vote of no confidence.....

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    LoNeal was cut by Norv, do you believe he'd have a Christmas card ready for Norv??????? :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

3. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Lo was cut more than once. This is the first I've heard of any implied bad opinion he has had over a previous team/coach.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He is at least somewhat biased

5. S.D.Love

S.D.Love Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7
  6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Straight talk from Lorenzo Neal...

Damn good interview.

Accountability has been lacking since Don Coryell.

Even under Boss Ross the players were getting drunk the night before the Super Bowl. Under Marty it was the same **** with players getting killed shot or whatever and choking at the worst time possible.

Under Norv the players are not afraid of getting their ***** slapped.

**** like Tila Tequila and players getting f'd up causing problems goes away real quickly if a coach gets in a players *** and wallet.

Do you think any of these fucs would pull **** if Bill Parcells were coaching here ?

The loss of respect for the game and what it means to be a team has been ruined by the money.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334

!!!!!!!!!!!!!BINGO!!!!!!!!!

8. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205

One day after San Diego coach Norv Turner lifted LaDainian Tomlinson on a key red-zone play in a loss to the Broncos, former Chargers fullback Lorenzo Neal raised questions about Turner's leadership. "Yeah, L.T.'s lost a step," Neal acknowledged to a San Diego radio station (via PFT). "But losing a step for L.T. is still as good as anybody in the league." Neal, who's not currently with a team, told the station that Turner risks losing the Chargers by alienating Tomlinson. Turner dismissed concerns that he was losing confidence in Tomlinson. "The play we originally were going to call, Darren runs," Turner told reporters. "We changed the call to a check, run and a pass. There was nothing significant in terms that we were not going to run the play with L.T. It was just the way it came up."

Source: USA Today

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

Turner lost LT the day he was hired.

and as far as the 3rd and goal play goes, LT most likely wouldn't have scored either because Norv is so damn predictable. Now I know everyone hates the 'what if' play, but...

what if they run that play, fake the handoff, PR keeps it rolls right, the TE releases, and PR either walks in the end zone or he tosses it to the TE.

Are those kind of plays just to hard for these nimrods to learn?

:icon_huh:

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886

My wife and I were talking about this after our visit this year for the Baltimore game. Imagine being 20-something and making all that jack in a town where all of the hot tail is served up to you on a silver platter? The weather is beautiful year round, the food is unbelievable, and there are so many extracurricular activities that you can't possibly find the time (or money) to do them all... unless you're a wealthy, unattached, irresponsible 20-or-30-something making millions.

Sure, there are exceptions (like Rivers, LT, and others)... but for the most part these guys just don't feel that the Lombardi Trophy is as important as making sure their bank accounts are fully funded and their iPhones are loaded with phone numbers and emails from all the pvssy that's fit to fvck.

It is what it is... and it ain't changing any time soon.

Sucks for us.

11. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82

You know, I've wondered about that as well. When Cam was calling the plays you would see a lot more of what you described. LT was used correctly and even though we didn't pass as much as we do now, we did it efficiently by using play action.

For being such a great offensive mind, Turner is very predictable if you ask me. The reason why the Bolts were so good inside the gold zone before was because the opposing team didn't know what was coming. Now they pretty much know what to expect. Run, Run, 7 step drop back pass (usually for a sack or an imcompletion).

12. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807

That's not true - they knew what was coming but it didn't matter they coudln't stop us. Dielman/Hardwick have talked about it numerous times. I mean, Turner and Cam weren't that much different when it comes to 1st down plays - it's usually a run somewhat up the middle, slightly to the left :p

Difference is now our line cannot impose it's will on opposing defenses like it used to. The decline/loss of Mike Goff and Lorenzo Neal have had a greater impact on the red zone efficiency than the offensive minds of Cam or Norv.

I would like to see more creativity but we also need to be realistic about who we're working with out there and what we really did in the past. With Cam, the trick plays didn't usually happen right away, it was like an evolution throughout the game.

13. creeboltz

creeboltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2

This is the entire key to our redzone problems. A good coach, a coach in control of his team, a coach with a great offensive mind doesn't have things just come up that way....the good coach controls the play, the good coach dictates the action, the good coach has defenses guessing (mostly in the wrong). NORV is not a good coach!!!
    And... don't get me started on our clock problems in previous games.

14. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194

Syd hit the nail on the head. The offensive line is not as physical and not able to open up the gaps at all which is having more of an impact then the play calling. But that still falls on the coach. If all game running up the middle keeps failing because no one can open a running lane, then don't run up the middle on 3rd and goal.

15. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    right or wrong norvy tries to set up opponents with predictable tendancies and then go against them in the late season/playoffs. he realizes everyone is a film nut and watches every play so he spends the early part of the season trying to become predictable so he can be unpredictable in the latter part of the year.
    as earlier mentioned it would be fine if we could impose our will but we can't.
    it all leads to slow starting games and seasons...

16. creeboltz

creeboltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2

:bolt:
    He has more success in this and less in all the rest!
    :bolt:

17. creeboltz

creeboltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    However I do appreciate your point. I just don't think his strategy is viable especially this season. When he was with the C-Boys... they were also predictable... Run-Throw-Catch
    but that was followed by WIN-WIN-WIN.

18. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82

I agree to some point, but Cam and Norv are not even close to being the same type of playcallers. When was the last time you saw a halfback pass? a reverse? flea flicker? There is no creativity with Norv. Not even on short yardage situations can he dial up something nice. It's nothing but 7 step drop backs on 3rd and 3 for a sack or an incompletion due to the fact that the opposing team knows they have time to get to Rivers.

Cam's plays didn't take that long to develop mainly because there was a lack of trust in Brees and then Rivers at the time. But still, the bolts could benefit from a stronger short passing game. Norv has no intentions of doing that. Why do you think this team is so bad on 3rd downs and goal line situations? Sure some of it is the line but I think a lot of it has to do with Norv as well.

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

Rivers was doing 3 step drops and the WR's ran 20 yard patterns (on one play I noticed). That **** does not work and looked pretty freaking bad.

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If LT can't come out and say what's on his mind he shouldn't talk to others that will bring it up. All this does is make Lo look like a pouting 6 year old, unless LT comes clean and admits he told him that.

21. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Harley was the first to annoint Norv the "Idiot Savant".

Everything he said was true.

22. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

I have noticed that as well. It would seem that we only have one or two short patterns on those three step drops, and if they are covered, than PR either has to throw it away or hope one of the deep passes opens up before he gets nailed.

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'll rep you for content but slap you for telling the hurtful truth. :icon_evil: :icon_toast:

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

It has been this way since Day One. Back in the day players would play drunk, on coke, speed - you name it and the pay was ****. Most of the players had second jobs so as fans, we really did not care or at least I didn't.

I had said that there was no accountability since Coryell and even that was not entirely true. I remember partying at the Posidon in La Jolla the night before a Chargers game and Hank Bauer was there getting hammered. It puts things into perspective and made me realize that indeed the tailgaters were the event and not necessarily the games.

I still remember the days when we used to say "just beat the Raiders" and the season would be good no matter our record and then we would party all night in the parking lot.

Anyway, LoNeal is right on the money.