1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Locker room chemistry

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by 17Rocks, Aug 1, 2010.

1. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    SOSD article

Says a lot about what people thought of LT, I for one am thankful for what he did while he was here but at the same time I'm glad he's gone...

• Like Like x 2
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Same here. I'll always love the LT that helped to bring the Chargers back to respectability, but apparently there was a lot more negativity in this locker room than any outsider knew. Big surprise, huh? :no:

Kinda makes you wonder even more about other egos that aren't in camp right now ....

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Damn, I called this three plus years ago and now it's coming to light. Tomlinson was a great back for the Bolt's and gave this team some respectability which I will always cherish. Now, I firmly believe he was in part the reason under Marty, Brees never blossomed in San Diego.

I don't feel any better for thinking that way or even saying it back then, there is still a part of me that wanted Tomlinson to hang em up in San Diego.

4. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Clearly, the time had come where something had to give... and that 'something' was L.T.

Sad to have things conclude on some sour notes, but L.T. was the one, by-and-large, driving that Sour Note Bus.

It's not that difficult to understand that when a player carries a team on his back from mediocrity (or worse) to respectability (or better), he feels some entitlement that the offense should center on, and around *him*.

Equally clearly, such a plan was no longer in the best interest of the TEAM.

This is P.R.'s team now, and his intangibles are such that I trust him to handle the job extremely well.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I wonder if Rivers leaves in his twilight years and tries to hang on to his career with another team if Chargers fans will start painting him in a bad light and talking about how glad they are that he's gone.

6. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Won't that depend on the Whine/Sulk/Complain Factor?

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    LT had "daddy" issues. None of us knew it until Marty left. We all knew his talent was for real, but we had no idea the guy would crack when we needed him most.

Rivers is simply built different. The only thing he has seated deeply within him... is a desire to be a leader.

Remember when he was signed and all the Wolfpack fanatics came to Bolt Land and professed their love for the guy? They told us what would happen... and we're seeing it.

I don't give a shiit how he goes out... as long as he leads this team to a Lombardi before his time is up.

• Like Like x 1
  8. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I know that both River's and Gate's are Charger fan's as well as player's. I reckon their words carry a bit more weight on inside issues than yours or mine. If the truth about Tonlinson hurt's you that deeply, maybe it's time you took the homer vision glasses off.

9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    :yes:
    Dude became a wet blanket once Marty got fired. No question who "the man" is on this team now. LT was a great talent and an amazing player, but he was not a great leader.

• Like Like x 1
  10. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Word! :tup::tup: Brees left SD with "class".

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    He's always been known as a trash talker who has a brash attitude.

Something tells me these characteristics will be highlighted in a negative tone by many Chargers fans if/when he leaves near the end of his career.

Much like most all Chargers fans didn't care about LT's "whining" until he left.

12. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    It's Rivers' fieriness that makes him a leader. LT was not the same kind of vocal leader that Rivers is.

13. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I reckon Tomlinson was shooting his mouth off after signing with the Jet's in hopes of warding off the truth. There isn't a whole lot he can say now. Gate's and River's have let the cat out of the bag, with class I might add.

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I agree, but my point isn't really about Rivers. I'm just using Rivers to make a point regarding the fickleness I've been witnessing from Chargers fans regarding LT. It's the same fickleness I saw with Junior and now LT's being painted in the same bad light.

I guarantee if/when Rivers leaves at the end of his career to play his last years in another uniform Chargers fans will suddenly be talking about his fiery attitude not that it makes him a good leader but that it makes him a loudmouth.

Sports fans are funny, though. I'm not trying to insinuate that this is unique to the Chargers fan base. Red Sox fans suddenly hated Manny Ramirez after he went to LA for instance.

15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Rivers has actually toned it down from how he was in college. Too many folks already have complained about him both nationally and locally. Big difference in being a vocal leader out on the field or a silent cancer in the locker room.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    :yes:

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to HEXEDBOLT again"

17. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    LT was/is a Chargers legend. Perhaps we're reading a bit too much into a comment regarding about "not having to wonder what he thinks".

That could mean nothing more than just that now that LT is out Rivers doesn't have to worry about the local legend's opinion.

But it's easier to draw the conclusion that it means that LT was a locker room cancer because it suits the negative opinions.

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    LT was never a 'leader' but it was always his clubhouse because he was the big superstar. LT never was vocal or really fiery in his actions and was content to just be the big man on campus so long as he didn't have to get involved in leading. That's not a bad thing, if anything that's knowing who you are and not doing what your not meant to do. Unfortunately I don't think he could take the fact that there was another guy who had those qualities he didn't have in leadership and insisted on taking command (Rivers). Made it even worse when Rivers started earning and getting the leadership that LT never had wanted in the first place.

That's my dime store psychology on the matter

19. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    My take on it: Rivers can be a leader the way he wants without having to appease the man who got them there in the first place. He has a lot more leeway to do what he feels he needs to do.

20. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    I think that Rivers meant exactly that. He is now the clear cut leader and does not have to worry about stepping on LT's toes. I don't think LT was a locker room cancer, those guys are always the vocal type and LT always tried to lead by example not by vocalizing. I am only glad that LT is gone for the reason that everyone can now look in one direction instead of worrying about what the "future hall of famer" thinks. LT didn't start his whining about the team's direction until he was gone. He never demanded that the team build an offense around him or anything like that...

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Back when Jack Clark I believe it was "allegedly" hung a Tony Gwynn doll in the dugout, I was furious. Tony handled it with class and he never once promoted himself as such. If Tomlinson was all that he told us he was, he'd still be in Bolt's.

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Again. I don't think Rivers' attitude is a problem.

But... if 6-8 years from now he decides he wants to keep playing but the Chargers want to move on so he signs elsewhere I will still not think his attitude is a problem.

What I've been saying is I don't think many Chargers fans will still share the same opinion.

This is evidenced by the way Chargers fans have talked about Junior Seau for the past half decade and are now talking about Tomlinson.

23. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    If he wasn't regressing to 3.3 ypc and still insisting on being the frontline starter he'd be in a Chargers uniform.

And most Chargers fans would precariously not care about his "whining".

24. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I never cared for Jr while he was a Bolt, I said it then and I've maintained my stance. He wasn't that great of a player in my opinion, which really doesn't mean ****.

25. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    there are some HUGE leaps being made here. Fans choosing to think the worst of Tomlinson. Your right, but it is a huge leap to go from someone worrying about what a team leader thinks to a locker room cancer.

Did Tomlinson burn bridges on his way out of town? Yeah. Did he and Rivers butt heads before, yeah. A lot of you backed Tomlinson when he was telling Rivers not to trash talk. But now, Tomlinson is a cancer.

I think you guys are just too caught up in the tar pit of drama where Tomlinson is concerned. You all want to villify one of the greatest Chargers ever. Maybe that helps you cope with his leaving or his frustrations with the team. What ever works for you. I imagine like Fouts, you will all love him again in a few years once everything blows over and stop putting everything under a microscope, and in the worst light.

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I'm just saying that I'm seeing a general pattern even if it may or may not pertain specifically to you.

We saw it with Junior, we saw it with Brees, and now we're seeing it with LT.

They're heroes until they take off the Chargers uniform then they're villains.

I have no doubt we'll see it with Rivers as well unless he retires a Charger.

27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I've been talking about it since his famous melt down after the Pat's game. I do believe you told me then I was wrong and it turns out I wasn't. I believed then as I do now, Tomlinson while great also held this team back. It seems both Gate's and River's have confirmed that. This whole thing is a drag, just think what could have been if all the player's were on the same page.

28. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    More assumptions. Perhaps you equate leading the league in rushing or breaking TD records as holding the team back. I dont. His last two seasons were sub par, no arguing that, especially after his injuries. But that happens, players are good, then decline. An injury here, year there etc..

Rivers and Gates have confirmed nothing, unless again you make HUGE jumps of logic as you have. To say 'I can do a little more without wondering what he thinks.’ does not mean Tomlinson held the team back, was a cancer or anything. It could mean that when they did say things they considered what team mates might consider or how they might take that. It happens in my work place all the time and not because someone is a cancer. It has happened in this very forum.

You choose to take it to mean Tomlinson held the team back, or is a cancer. That is your opinion and you are welcome to it. I can not, and will not agree with such rhetoric that I cant help but think as superficial at best.

You bringing up the Pats game is nice, so there were a few times he got emotional. I was happy to see him willing to defend the teams pride. Guess you felt that one outbreak made him into some sort of villain. Well again lets agree to disagree.

Do what ever you have to, to be able to deal with his leaving. Just don't look too silly when you are cheering for him when his number is retired, or when he goes into the HOF as a Charger, ok?

29. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    When LT left he ripped the whole team and complained about the guys in the locker room. Stop and think- maybe his whining (geez I am using that word to describe him more and more) was an indicator that he was no longer relevant and no one was listening to him anymore. That's what I think was the problem. The "emperor" had no clothes on and no one in the locker room was big enough or man enough to tell LT that.

I mean how do you tell Mister-future-hall-of-famer that he doesn't have it anymore? LT is in there probably cursing at the line for not opening holes for him... Hell he did that on the way out of town!

Seems like LT wasn't a good teammate anymore and we're starting to hear that now from guys like Rivers and Gates. They're being subtle but I expect that to change as time goes on. It's tough to burst everyone's bubble that LT wasn't the perfect teammate- but I agree that it was when he hurt his knee, pulled himself out and then sulked for the rest of the game... that told me right there what he was made of and his attitude and performance from that day on confirmed it to me.... he wasn't happy with the way the team was going and didn't do too much to hide it... some teammate!

That's my two cents/

30. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Leo his own teammates are saying it and whatever Chargers fans think doesn't mean ****.

This was in the locker room. They know and I'm willing to bet there's a helluva lot more not being said by the players.

I love it when people start judging other fans loyalty; it's a bunch of crap.