1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Lockout: think the players are to blame?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Think again. While there may be some validity to the argument that the players would rather litigate than negotiate, you can not over look the information that the owners put money away to cover a lost 2011 season. Not the TV funds, they created a war account. Does that show them as entering the negotiations with an honest desire to meet in the middle? I think not. Check out the article below.

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Report: Owners set financially for '11

WASHINGTON, D.C.
    As NFL team owners and the players union dig in for a potentially lengthy legal battle, league officials said owners have already set aside enough money to cover them in case the 2011 season is canceled, The Wall Street Journal reported Monday.

In addition, NFL officials said there is not an immediate financial threat from the $4 billion in television-rights revenue that may be withheld because of a recent legal ruling.

According to the owners' plans, they only would need that money if the labor strife drags on to the 2012 season.

The window into the NFL's finances and the revelation that the NFL had planned to set aside emergency funds to last two seasons, provided by two officials with direct knowledge of the league's budget, came as the league and its players union begin a legal battle that will test their wills -- and cash reserves.

At issue is how to divide some $9.3 billion in annual revenue.

George Atallah, deputy executive director of the NFL Players Association, said the league's stockpiling of money shows "there was a clear and premeditated plan to lock out the players."

Bob Batterman, the lead outside counsel for the NFL, said the league expects to hold a 2011 season but the owners had prepared for the worst. "We hope and expect this will get resolved," Batterman said Sunday.

Team owners locked out the players beginning Saturday, ending all offseason workouts and offseason pay immediately. The drafting of college players will still take place next month but, without a resolution, training camps will not open in July and the season will not start on schedule in September.

After negotiations for a new collective-bargaining agreement broke off on Friday, a series of legal maneuvers began to unfold that will go a long way toward determining whether the NFL has a season in 2011.

By late Friday, the players union had been decertified. That allowed the players to file an antitrust suit against the league, which they did late Friday afternoon in federal district court in Minnesota. Several of the league's biggest stars, including quarterbacks Tom Brady and Drew Brees are the lead plaintiffs in the case.

The suit asks the court to issue an injunction prohibiting the league from locking out the players, a move owners made when the collective bargaining agreement expired Saturday morning. A ruling on that injunction is not expected for at least three weeks, though a temporary restraining order could come sooner.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    To be fair, the NFLPA was telling players to do the same thing for the last 2 years so they would be prepared for a lockout

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I agree. I am not trying to paint the players as a victim. The fans are the only victims. I dont think either side wanted to negotiate to a mutually beinificial deal.

5. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    The more I read, the more I am on the side of the owners. Something is just not right with the players being able to sue the owners. It just seems outrageous.

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am on neither side. I think both are just being greedy SOBs.

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Folks, I have had a huge change of hart...

It used to be that I was publicly supportive of subsdizing the NFL, in building stadiums ect...

I am no longer.

Why should the public pay for stadiums when the following occur?:

1) NFL blacks out games that are played in our publicly funded stadiums.
    2) The NFL owners and players can cancel seasons due to their collective greed.
    3) The NFL teams can flee a city when ever they want ALA The Raiders (Oakland to LA back to Oakland).. and other teams?
    4) The NFL always wantes bigger better things for corporate and rich sponsors, not more seats for the lil guy, even though THEY are the ones who bear the financial burden of building said stadiums in increased taxes.

Fugg the NFL! The Owners! The Players! When they give back I may reconseider.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I honestly think both sides wanted to negotiate. I just don't think either side was willing to make the concessions the other side wanted. The owners wanted a bigger piece of the pie, and the players wanted to see the books before giving in. The players were not willing to give the owners what they wanted without their demands being met, and the owners were not willing to open the book for any reason.

I think they are just at an impasse and the court system will help the process

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That brings up the question I brought up in a different tread (or maybe a different site). With the Billion dollars that the owners get every year, they could pay for a new stadium every year without a dime of public money. So where is that money going?

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It is called US labor laws and is the only play they had remaining to avoid being locked out, bent over, and butt raped

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I think both realize that the fans are the ones being harmed and I think neither side wants a lockout but when all you see in front of you is the chance to get more money both sides ignore the more rational sides of their brains and become spoiled children demanding more. Frankly I blame the players more because I find their demands (yes in many cases just outright demands) to be more ludicrous then the owners' demands - but not by much

12. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I've already gone there. I will not spend any money at all on the NFL. If there is a game on my regular local channel I might watch or I might do something else. I might even look into watching a game on the internet if I can find a suitable place. But, they get no more money from me.

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Well I cant really argue your perception. But the owners builind their war funds, the players setting up decertification all lead me to believe they were both of the mind "If I dont get what I want, scorched earth!" Which while understandable does not make for the best negotiating environment.

14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Or it could just be smart business planning.

Don't you have a savings/retirement acct?

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You could choose to look at it that way... Clearly I dont! :icon_tease:

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    For the record, I hate all of them and think this whole mess is gay as f*ck.

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Right there with you Brocephus! Have more SWBFDs!