1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LONDON IN OCTOBER

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by English, Feb 6, 2008.

1. English

English @tonywaters

Ratings:
    +92
    So, who's travelling over for the game at Wembley in October? My wife and I are hoping to take some time from work and have a week in the capital leading up to the game and would love to meet any of you guys who travel over this way. I'll introduce you to Real Ale!

We're flying over to Boston on Friday for a few days break and have just checked the weather forecast. I guess I can unpack my bathing trunks!

2. Fire & Ice

Fire & Ice BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    I am already prioritizing and planning on how I can make the trip a reality. :tup:

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    i'm thinking about it but i doubt it

4. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    If any of you are planning of coming out..You have gotta meet us for some pre-game partying:)

Also i have Corona Extra as well

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    I'm coming, booked my flights as soon as the news broke on the UT. I get in sat morn, return home monday afternoon. Hope to see u and your wife and anyone else that makes it. I might skip the real ale though. :unsure:

Nice cold lager for me else a pint of Magners. :icon_toast:

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,415
    I was going to go to the Chargers/Saints game but then they moved it to London. :mad:

(Don't mind me, I'm still sore)

7. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I love the overseas support! :tup: :bolt:

Before you guys start inviting Bolttalk be prepared for what we did in San Francisco in 2006. We took over a whole back section of the parking lot and it got pretty wild. :yes: :icon_eek: :icon_rofl:

8. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I will try to get tickets for the London game, too. We just have to see, if it's easier to get it by bolttalk-ticketsholders or via internet sport center. someone said not possible until April or May.
    We'll wait and see.

9. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    Now your talking DB..Love magners:tup::tup:

10. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    His Lordship Rule12b and the Lady Rule12b shall be in attendance.:flag:

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    My wife and I am gonna try to make the trip.

12. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I'm in the same boat as Leo.

:no: I won't be there.

13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    My wife says I can go...IF I take both of our kids (one's 3, the other is 5 months old now). Maybe Prince William will be available to babysit? :lol:

14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    Fantastic!!, hopefully we can meet up. I owe u a beer for the Malcom sig last year!. Great that some native Bolttalkers are gonna try and make it. I will leave it up to English/BFUK to coordinate meeting points and possible accomodations. :tup:

While I have been to London a few times and the old Wembley twice I am not too good on where is best to stay/drink in the city. :unsure:

15. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    Bolttalkers are the master tailgaters..we do need teaching in the art

Also i will try and organise the meeting points and stuff..just let me know where your staying and we can get pubs and stuff

16. Boltzzz

Boltzzz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    same boat as leo and LV, was looking forward to the road trip to New Orleans, now I will have to wait for a long time to tear up Bourbon Street :no:

17. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I'm itching for the season already.

18. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    In no way does that imply crabs :icon_tease:

I wish I could make this trip.

19. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
  20. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    We've booked this hotel to make sure we have 'somewhere' booked. It is literally a stones throw from the stadium. It means we can walk out from the game and have a pint in our hand in our own hotel in minutes. Don't have to worry about trying to get back into the city with the masses. :tup:

The downside ofcourse is that it is a bit out of town. So if we are raising hell in the city on saturday it might be a pain to get back to. :tdown:

Anyhows, v early days. Alot to do before then. Now... what about them tickets!?. :icon_huh:

21. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    This is the first step of many steps needed

22. twilight15

twilight15 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    This is great experience for the Chargers and the city. I'm very excited that we will be able to play in London (Though the field will be hell to play on) but it'll still be awesome.

23. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    I assume they will have learned how to get the field ready for a 'football' game this time. However if the monsoon rains arrive I'm not sure there is much they can do. It is pretty amazing that what was to be the best stadium in the world did not come with a roof ala the Millenium in Cardiff (another potential venue for the game).

The interesting thing is how few games are played in Wembley that time of year. England might have a soccer international and that is about it. There might be a gig or 2 aswell.

I don't expect there to be a repeat of the mudbath of the Giants Dolphins game. :tup:

24. English

English @tonywaters

Ratings:
    +92
    I've just booked the same hotel as Dublin and UK. Mrs English and I will be there for the Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

Wembley may be a bit 'out of town' but the public transport is great for getting between the 2 places on the Friday and Saturday. HOWEVER, using public transport on the day of the game will be frustrating and time consuming. Much better to stay close to Wembley and have less travelling on the day of the match.

Maybe closer to the time we could block book the top deck of one of the open-topped sightseeing bus tours for those who have not done the obligatory tourist trek round town. Maybe Queen Liz is a closet Chargers fan and may don a shirt on the balcony of Buck House for us!

I've registered with NFLUK for 4 tickets so if I get them all, I'll have a couple of spares for anybody unable to get any. Will know better closer to the time.

If anybody needs any specific arrangements making, let me know and I'll do my best to help.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    Great!, looking forward to meeting u and the missus!. Do u know when the last tube/train out to wembley is on a sat nite?. I know I could probably find this on the web somewhere but maybe u know the time?. :icon_huh:

Ur right about day of the game, best to be close by and not have to contend with getting there. I'm really looking forward to being able to walk out of the stadium into our hotel bar and having a pint in my hand in time to watch the 9pm game live on Sky with fellow Charger fans, roll on. :icon_toast:

I get in early saturday to LGW. Travel home monday afternoon via LHR.

26. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    Nice one mate..can't wait too meet you guys:abq1::abq2:

Me and Dad have regestered interest as we both have seperate nfluk.com accounts

27. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    DB..we defo gonna party after the game back at the hotle with 9pm games:icon_party::icon_party::icon_party:

28. English

English @tonywaters

Ratings:
    +92
    Not sure exactly but there are plenty of tube services leaving at or around pub closing times (11PMish). Journey time from The Waterloo area is about 25-30 minutes with either one or two interchanges depending which route is quickest at the time.

There's a good website for travel around London called TFL (Transport for London) which covers buses, trains, trams and underground services. I think this is the correct web address:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk

29. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    For those of you wanting to fly from San Diego, there is a new airline starting soon called Zoom. They fly directly to London's Gatwick airport. Right now, their prices are $365 each way for an economy seat; $565 each way for a "Premium Economy" seat which gives you more leg room.

Check them out at:

www.flyzoom.com.

30. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    Awesome CBF:tup::tup: