1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LoNeal a No Go!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/sto...emplate=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Raiders release veteran FB Neal after youngster O'Neal impresses

NFL.com Wire Reports

The Oakland Raiders parted ways with four-time Pro Bowl fullback Lorenzo Neal on Wednesday, ending his brief stay with the team.

Neal, who signed with the Raiders in May, was expected to push second-year pro Oren O'Neal and fourth-year pro Luke Lawton for the starting fullback job. However, Neal became expendable when O'Neal impressed Oakland's coaching staff with his recovery from major knee surgery.

"I'm just preparing for where we need to be as a football team, really, and what we thought we have, and whether that was enough and all that," Raiders coach Tom Cable said of cutting Neal, a 17th-year NFL veteran. "So it was time to go in a different direction there."

O'Neal tore both the anterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments in his left knee last year on the opening kickoff of an Aug. 23 preseason game against the Arizona Cardinals. One of the hamstring muscles attached to O'Neal's knee also tore away and had to be surgically reattached.

Then-Raiders coach Lane Kiffin called the injury possibly career-threatening, but after undergoing surgery, O'Neal made remarkable progress during his rehabilitation.

O'Neal slowly walked off the practice field Wednesday, but Cable sounded optimistic that the fullback could be ready to play by the Raiders' Sept. 14 season opener against the San Diego Chargers.

"I think he's really got back out here, got back into it," Cable said of O'Neil. "He gets better and better with each day. In fact, today was probably his best day of catching and blocking and protecting, and just the whole thing. He feels great. Everything's stable."

The Raiders used Neal's old roster spot to sign safety Rashad Baker, who had a team-high-tying three interceptions for Oakland last season before signing with the Philadelphia Eagles this offseason. The Eagles cut Baker earlier this week.

Also, Raiders wide receiver Chaz Schilens underwent surgery on a broken bone in his left foot Wednesday and is expected to miss four to six weeks.

2. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I am thrilled that Lo Neal will not be making the Raiders better. I hope he lands on his feet somewhere! (...outside of the AFC West, of course)

Go Chargers!!!
    :flag:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I wasn't excited about Lorenzo being a Raider... but I was happy for the man that he had another chance to play. So sorry to hear he might not get that chance :( he's one good dude.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Some team with a power running game will pick him up by week 2, perhaps by week 1.

He won't be out of work for long. Perhaps a return to the Bengals. I could see that to help on the running game to block.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    And to think some folks still wanted him on our team, go figure. He was cut by the Raiduds.

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I'd still love to see him in a Bolts uni - its not logical at this point but I wouldn't complain if he came back for some reason. His body may be done but his football mind and his fire is still there - I wonder if he will go into coaching after he hangs it up? I really think he'd excel at it...

One of the greatest FB's to play the game that's for sure.

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    But see, it was the Raiders. Respect immediately goes up when you get cut by Oakland.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    bring him here as a quasi coach to teach Hester and Tolbert

9. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    And Moss was traded for a 4th rounder. They obviously know talent when they see it! :icon_rofl:

10. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Thank god, he's no Raidur anymore. best wishes for back up outside AFC-W, Lo

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Hey Lo........ don't become the next effin Favre!. Retire gracefully.

Oh and thanks for the memories.

:tup:

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Dump Latsko & Tolbert, sign Lo. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  13. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Is there such thing as a fullback's coach? If not, we should create one.

14. RaptorKC

RaptorKC BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Agree on the coaching angle, though he probably still wants to play!
    Assistant RB coach now! He'd do wonders for Hester, and help out the locker room in general.

15. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    QFT ^^^

It's ironic (in a very cool way) that Neal was a stud at every NFL stop he ever made in 16 seasons... but crapped out as soon as he landed on the Raiders! :icon_rofl:

How fitting! :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  16. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I was lightly watching a Raider preseason game on NFL Network last night when I remembered that Lo was a Raider and decied to take a look and boy did that guy look slow. There was a play where the running back ran him over. It wasn't because the RB was being impatient but because it took Neal FOR EVER to get to the line of scrimmage from the backfield. I felt bad for him.

With that said, I hope he comes back to the team as a coach or something.

17. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    I'm so glad I don't have to watch him in Silver and Black. That would have hurt.

That said, he had slowed up some in his last year here, was not a standout last year in Baltimore.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I wish Lo all the best, and I'm happy that I never saw him in a Raider uni.

19. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    That's for sure I didn't want to see him at either of the 2 games this year that would of just hurt seeing him in silver & black.:unsure: