1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LoNeil going?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltsFanUK, Feb 16, 2008.

1. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Looks like it, very unfortunate though :no:

• Like Like x 1
  3. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    I really hope he does not leave but if he does then its unfortunate

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I hope they choose to sign him. He needs to be able to share in the success this team will experience the next couple of years. Lo is the poster boy for what we are. BAD ASSES!!

:tup::tup::tup:

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Lorenzo has a chance to go out on top, since his career IS winding down. His effectiveness as a receiver has diminished below what I wanted to see at the beginning of the season and he has begun to slow up significantly. He has a chance to go out with his dignity intact. Will definitely miss him. There might be a chance for a low draft choice from one of the teams cleaning house, but I doubt it. He is savvy and smart enough to begin coaching somewhere.

6. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    They talked about this in the SDUT after the Pro Bowl as well. Doesn't seem like Lorenzo to demand to be cut because he doesn't feel like he's getting enough playing time, but if that is the case, than it does indeed suck. I don't know anybody who doesn't like LoNeal. In the same token though, Norv's system is changing, and if Lorenzo won't take a reduced role, than I guess he won't be a part of our championship run:no:

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Neal has a few things negatively going for him

1. He's definitely slowing down
    2. He's even more now then before strictly a blocking FB and can't catch or run
    3. Turner has never liked using FBs
    4. We have two guys (Pinnock as a runner/blocker and Naane as a pass catching FB) who are younger, cheaper and can do the job.
    5. Defenses cue in on Neal knowing that when he is in, its likely a run play

8. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    He is signed already for two more years

9. twilight15

twilight15 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I believe Lo can still play...Sure, he's slowed down a bit, but this man is a big key with the Chargers and I know every single charger fan would be heart-broken if he does decide to leave...

10. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Yep, this is Lorenzo saying that he wants to be released rather than take a reduced role in the offense.

11. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    He always has been strickly a blocking FB and never could catch well.

Turner seems to favor not having a FB but he had one in Dallas in Moose Johnson.

If a FB is not what Turner wants to use very often then why waste a roster spot on Pinnock? He is NOT a HB and is horrible when he has been put in that spot. We could just put Manu or Naanee there at times if he wanted to use that formation.

• Like Like x 1
  12. twilight15

twilight15 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I'd like to see Manu for that formation :yes:

13. Boltage Bimbo

Boltage Bimbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I read an interview with LoNeal in SI and he said if he didn't get more play time he was going to retire after this year when his contract ended. Where did you hear that he already resigned?

14. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Chargers soon to bid Neal farewell?

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

February 6, 2008

KAPOLEI, Hawaii – After the AFC squad worked out here this morning, Lorenzo Neal walked off the practice field carrying his white helmet with the gold lightning bolts.

AdvertisementThis week at the Pro Bowl could well be the last time Neal wears the Chargers colors, and he knows it.
    The 15-year veteran plans on speaking with coach Norv Turner next week about his future with the team.

“I don't want it to be uncomfortable here,” he said, referring to the fact the Chargers' staff is here coaching the AFC team.

Neal is careful not to make it appear he is demanding assurances or trying to make it all about him. But the four-time Pro Bowl fullback does not want to be a role player.

“I'm a starter,” he said. “I understand they've got plays and maybe I can't be out there all the time. But I want to be a starter in this league. I am a starter – if not (in San Diego), then somewhere.

“I'm going to talk to Norv. Whatever direction they want to go, I wish him well. He's a great coach. He's shown he can win. He knows I want to play.”

Neal signed a three-year extension last March that paid him $770,000 in a roster bonus and was set to pay him another $4.75 million between 2008 and '10.

But, at the advanced age of 37, he is playing in an offense that no longer requires his services as often as it did his first four seasons in San Diego.

Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith declined comment yesterday. He plans to publicly address offseason moves later this month. Those moves will include the releasing of free safety Marlon McCree as well.

Turner values Neal and would like him to remain a Charger. But Neal generally played about half as many snaps this season as in 2006. In addition to Turner's offense not being the ideal place for a fullback to get 50 plays, the emergence of Andrew Pinnock further makes Neal expendable.

Neal's return likely would be based on his acceptance of a lesser role.

“A lot of it depends on who we're playing, how we're playing,” Turner said. “ . . . He's here at the Pro Bowl. He's a good player.”

And Neal agreeing with that assessment is why he is unlikely to want to be in a lesser role.

“I'm going to play somewhere,” he said. “I'm not worried.”

15. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

wow

well, good on him then!!

:tup::tup:

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I kind of thought that this might be his last season after his injury in Tennassee. Especially at age 37.
    Then I saw him playing in the Pro Bowl and was glad to see him out there. Then I thought, "We need him back!!!" I sure hope he'll be back!!

With that said, I've really liked what I've seen from Pinnock but we STILL need Neil!!!

17. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

See ya Lo. That bullshit "me first" attitude got Donnie run out of here. It's not about you and the amount of snaps you get.

I used to like the guy, now I just want him gone.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I'd hate to see him go, he is without a doubt one of my favorite players on the team, I love his fire and tenacity, especially as a ballcarrier seeking out guys to hit. It would be a shame to see him go, but at his age, if he thinks he can be useful elsewhere, I guess I understand his logic, we are definately swithching towards a more spread, pass oriented offense. It would be nice to see him stick it out and hopefully cash in on a ring here before retirement/moving to another team.

best part of the article
    Thank Christ Almighty.

19. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Dittoid on the releasing of McCree. He looked awful so many times this year. My feelings on LoNeal are mixed. I love the guy as a person and a leader. On offense however, his prescence seems to make us more predictable. He's slowed considerably, and isn't much of a threat either running or catching anymore. I'd personally love to throw as many athletes out there as possible in different formations. Nanee as an H-Back or even two back sets with LT and Sproles, maybe one of them in the slot. Hell I'm even all for throwing Cro out there every once in awhile and catch them in some no huddle situations, without enough DBs to compensate. I'm from the old school Sid G. style of innovation and do whatever it takes to catch them off guard. It's just been too predictable which mainly falls on Marty, Cam and now Norv. If Norv is the offensive genious he's said to be, then maybe he needs more offensive weapons on the field at the same time.

By the way, how much of LoNeal's potential future salary would go against the cap if he were released?

20. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Lo...no...don't go...

21. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    THIS IS SAD SAD SAD BUT TRUE

22. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    btw...who's LoNeil?

23. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    he could stick around for one more year in a reduced role, sorta the Junior Seau "Win one to end my career" charge? He's going to retire anyway after this year so why not keep him on even in a reduced role and let him win one big one

24. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Well, Lo has said that he doesn't want to be a roll player. And I don't want a malcontent in the locker room. So I can't see anything positive about basically forcing him to stay in San Diego for another season.

Anybody wanna bet he's a Dolphin next year?

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'd like to see that but as in_a_days said, it doesn't seem like he's willing.

26. Burley

Burley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    if lo Neal goes do we need to draft or get a FB via FA for depth???