1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Looking ahead..

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Nov 10, 2013.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    To 2014-2015..

This team may finish 9-7 at best, may sneak into the playoffs if we're lucky. But, I'm already looking forward to 2014-2015, and I may be too early, but its Week 11 after the Monday night game tomorrow.

Again, I know I'm early, but let's take a look at the roster.
    Untitled.png
    It's very likely this team gets a bit of a turnover next year. Here are the contracts for 2014-15.
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-diego-chargers/cap-hit/2014/
    Likely that guys like Royal, McClain, Clary and we might even want to look into Jarret Johnson are released to clear up some space. Dunlap, if he suffered a concussion, might be done, so we must look into a LT as well.

My roster without draft picks and free agency signings would look like this,
    QB -- Rivers, Sorensen
    RB -- Mathews, Woodhead, K. Williams
    FB -- Phillips
    WR -- Allen, Brown
    TE -- Gates, Green, Otten
    LT -- Harris, Becton
    LG -- Rinehart
    C -- Hardwick
    RG -- Troutman, Schilling
    RT -- Fluker
    • Big decision in the off season is what we do with our DC and the defense. I personally think we should switch to a 4-3, but I'm assuming we stick with the 3-4.
    LDE -- Liuget, Guy
    RDE -- Reyes, Lissemore
    NT -- Geathers, Jerideau
    LOLB -- Ingram, Williams
    LILB -- Te'o, Manning
    RILB -- Butler, Gachkar
    ROLB -- Freeney, Johnson*
    LCB -- Cox, Williams
    RCB -- Gilchrist, Wright
    SS -- Taylor, Stuckey
    FS -- Weddle, Addae

K -- Novak
    P -- Scifres
    LS -- Windt

Lot can happen, but I'm going off what I've seen so far and what makes sense right now. Want to hear your thoughts and opinions and more.

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Well we've lost 5 games all by 1 score or less this year, (2 by just inches!) so I wouldn't be shocked to see a quick turn around next year to maybe 10-11 wins, as long as we figure out how to start scoring in the redzone and on final drives.

We need to go balls out looking for pass rushers and CBs in the offseason, and probably LT because Dunlap just can't stay healthy.

3. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    This defense just isn't good at all. Cam Thomas still doesn't know how to play NT. I'm hoping we can find a true NT in the draft/free agency or switch over to a 4-3. We get washed out on running plays, last week @ WAS and today against Denver, even though they didn't rush much, they get a solid 4-5 yards on crucial carries even more.

We need a pass rush for our DB's to effective also, so I would say a pass rusher is pretty damn important this offseason. Though Tourek Williams showed some bend and speed off the edge, don't know if he's consistent just yet, and with Ingram and Freeney coming back next year at 100 % should be a boost, but also you need another OLB to replace Freeney and Johnson and also depth.

I think we need to get rid of guys like Clary and McClain at least, Royal is pretty ineffective since his hot start to the season. I think Woodhead and Green could feature in his slot spot.

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +475
    I would also just keep two qbs, Rivers and Sorensen

Draft LT, OLB, CB, WR, RB, BPA in basically that order

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I would go RB, LT, C, WR, NT, OLB, CB - not in order but BPA.

Sorensen and Becton look like nice projects by Reich and Joe D.

6. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +294
    Que the mock drafts......this season is done.

7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Oh god…here comes the mocking :rolleyes:…you just gave me yet one more reason to want the Chargers
    to make the playoffs. (any year…not just this one…which does appear to be d.o.a.) To delay the freakin' mocking...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Some free agents I like in 2014,

RB - Donald Brown, Alfonso Smith (RFA), James Starks (RFA)
    WR - Kris Durham (RFA), Julian Edelman, David Nelson, Andre Roberts
    OT - Charles Brown, Bruce Campbell, Anthony Collins, Will Yeatman (RFA)
    OG - Joe Reitz (RFA), Geoff Schwartz
    OLB - O'Brien Schofield, Jason Worilds
    CB - Will Blackmon, Corey Graham, Chris Owens, Walter Thurmond, Cassius Vaughn
    S - Antoine Bethea, Corey Lynch, Ryan Mundy

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  9. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +294
    LMAO.....the mockers will come out in force now.......WAY EARLY.....that's what they geek on....
    I personally HATE the whole mock talk BS.....:tdown:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Hate all you want, I think some of our mock drafters (LBC, LT Express, Ant, Duffman, SuperCharger etc...) are some of the most hardcore Charger fans. Wish we had more of them honestly, maybe half the stadium wouldn't be Orange.

That said I agree its a complete waste of time and energy until the season is over, at the earliest. I got some idea what positions we need, and there are some names I like but nothing more than that.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +441
    For me it's clear we need to look again at O line, corner, pass rusher and blocking RB/TE.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I guess we have to assess this at the end of the year. Now, seems like King Dunlap does not have a concussion. But either way, the fact we all held our breathe when they said it COULD of been a concussion tells you we can not and most importantly Dunlap can not afford another serious blow to the head.

But yes CB and OLB have to be addressed. Our CB's can not perform to their ability if there is no pass rush. Either in the draft or free agency.

Not sure about the blocking RB/TE though. We have John Philips, he can act as a FB and blocking TE but also capable of catching a pass or two.

13. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    With such a deep class of LT free agents hitting the market, do you think the Chargers will sign a guy who is not at the top but his play suggests it? Guys like Brandon Albert, Jared Veldheer, Eugene Monroe and possibly Jordan Gross may get those bigger salary numbers. Two guys that intrigue me,

Charles Brown - Has played extremely well for the Saints this year at LT, filling Jermon Bushrod's void. Very similar to King Dunlap, great pass protector, not a great run blocker.

Will Yeatman - Has made the transition from TE to LT. Extremely athletic, and I'm sure with the shuffling going on with the OL in Miami, we will see him soon. Played 12 snaps against the Bengals last game and looked good. He's a project player, but don't be surprised if he sneaks up on the league.

14. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +162
    2008 was my favorite season as a Chargers fan by far! It was the year when more Chargers fans were upset than they were happy that the Chargers made it to the playoffs. Hating Norv is one thing but hating being wrong seemed to hurt worse. GO CHARGERS!

15. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    Having said that...
    Royal will stay and him not doing what he did after the hot start is, I think, from him being accounted for...keep that!

Clary stays, solid and plays multiple spots.

need 2 corners, a safety, a left tackle and an edge rusher. time to get a center too

16. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +221
    Who's to say that next season the chargers don't suffer some huge injury or two, or we draft busts all cross. The team needs to WIN now and only now, loser teams like the Jags think for the future. I hope this team isn't looking at anything less then bringing home the Lombardi.

17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Silly Cybin.png

18. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +221
    What does that picture mean? In any case it's the truth, the same stuff was said back in 2008 and how our future looked bright. The team constantly eat up the press about being great team and look where that got them. All this talk about looking to the future would be all good and dandy if were really young team but when you have All Pro QB and HOF QB and a decent defense making noise in the playoffs is the only thing to focused on by this team. No more next year B.S

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,178
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Haha yeah I remember we were so wrong about Norv, that's why he's still here....;)

2008 was fun, it was great to watch Cutler choke....but it was lucky that we played in such a weak division. Falling to 4-8 with that roster was just ridiculous, like 99% of teams miss the playoffs at that point. So let's not forget to give some credit to Jay Cutler for a 4 game collapse.

We a had fun in the moment, but I doubt any coaches look back at 8-8 with that roster and says "I rocked it that year."

21. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Both guys will be making $4.5M+. If we cut them both, we save $9M towards the cap.

Royal had a hot start, but nothing worth $4.5M for. Also, Clary or Rinehart for $4.5M? Think I'm sold on Rinehart even though he has had turf toe, him missing time will make him come cheaper at the end of the year. Also, Troutman developing real nicely, no spot to keep Clary, let him go save some $ towards the cap because we're carrying lot of dead money into 2014.

I say we need a CB, NT, OLB, and LT. CB and LT can be found in free agency with both of those positions being deep and knocking quality players prices down due to the "big names" getting the big money. Focusing on NT and OLB in the draft will be nice, and also like you said, a safety if we decide to let Stuckey walk.

22. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    You're still upset about it! How did the win against Indy in the playoffs make you feel?

23. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +221
    I loved that year too but boy did I yell at the t.v a lot that year. Especially consective games losing to feild goal. That team just reeked of bad coaching that is until the team had December to remember.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    beat the best team in the NFL in the playoffs=great coaching. The next year the team was worse and went 13-3. They did that despite the coach though, right?

25. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +221
    The best team that year was the Steelers and we laid a egg in Heinz feld. I give the Colts win alot to sproles and his great performance. I agree that Norv was good coach in December but honestly with the talent his had you're expected to do that. He never should have been given that extension after losing to the Jets lead by Rookie HC and QB tandem. That is beside the point Norv wasn't a good coach here and anywhere else his been.

26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,601
    We got blown out a couple times too, then something clicked in December and it was like watching a new team. Or a train wreck of your a Denver fan.

27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Upset over what? We defeated monster odds (self inflicted of course but...) Just making it too the playoffs much less to win a game.

But again I don't think it's a regular season a big boy head coach hangs his hat on. It was exciting ending because massively underachieved early on.

28. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    So regular season wins are all important unless it was 2009. You Marty lovers can hold onto conflicting data and still smile and eat breakfast..It's fascinating

29. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +208
    Why do you assume that if someone didn't like Norv as a coach then they are automatically Marty lovers?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  30. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162
    There are a few people out there who were swept up in the general hate parade of Norv, but from studying this phenomenon since it started, I've found that even if there is genuine Marty dislike, it isn't based on the same criteria for hating Norv and is usually apathetic at best (worst). The vast majority of Norv haters though are out of the closet Marty lovers.