1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking Back on 9/11

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Deb, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255
    What were you doing when you heard?

[​IMG]

A generation ago, anyone could tell you what they were doing when they heard the news of JFK being shot.

9/11 is this generation's national tragedy. What were you doing when you heard? Where were you at? Your initial reactions?

• Like Like x 1
  2. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I was working at Caesars Palace.

My foreman walked in telling us that a plane had hit the WTC. We went to work, not knowing what was going on.
    I happened to have the only radio on the job. While listening to what little news reports that where was, and the crew starting to gather around the radio, my wife called. The 2nd. plane had just hit.

By this time, nothing was getting done. We still had no clue to the magnitude of what was happening. Then we heard about the plane hitting the Pentagon.

I got another phone call later in the day. That call told me that the WTC had collasped. I asked "How much"? When told, I said "WW3 just started".

:flag:

• Like Like x 1
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    The week before my freshman year of college, I got woken up at home, was going to take my brother to school. He woke me up early and told me a plane hit the world trade center. Now I've got alot of new york in my blood and been there a dozen times at least. And at 6am with no coffee the only thing i could think of was: "what sort of dumbass pilot would miss the WTF???"
    I went back to bed for a bit but 15 mins later he told me the second plane hit the second tower and I was up then.

Interesting note my dad was scheduled to fly into Pennsylvania to drive to a lecture, and he was going to drive right through where Flight 93 crashed. That sent chills down all our spines really quick.

4. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I turned on the TV and there it was, one stupid pilot. I thought it was interesting, even had a laugh or two. But then we all know what happened and the laughter stopped. About a few days earlier I had told some people that the president was going to be seriously tested during his term based on the world we live in, full of TERRORISTS and pure hatred towards America. I guess I was right...

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I was working as a security manager for a food distribution center here in San Antonio. Trucks delivered food products to my company, which we sold to restaurants, stores, etc, and we communicated with the drivers via CB radio.

A little after 9AM CST, there was all manner of chatter on the CB such that we couldn't conduct business. I asked the drivers to clear the channel and was told that a plane had hit the first tower. Again I asked the drivers to clear the channel, but turned on the small TV we had in the guard shack to see what the hubbub was about. That's when I heard about the second plane hitting the second tower.

We didn't conduct alotta business the rest of the day.

6. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    I was just waking up, getting ready for my second day at a new job, when my sister called me. "Turn your TV on---there have been some planes hijacked and they've hit buildings, the World Trade Center's on fire, the Pentagon's on fire......oh God, something terrible is happening!!"

So the kids and I sat in front of the TV, transfixed, as the towers burned. We were watching as first one, then the other tower collapsed; we listened as news of Flight 93's crash in a Pennsylvania field filtered in. I was two hours late getting to work, but it didn't matter; everyone at the nursing home, staff and residents alike, was glued to one of the four TVs scattered throughout the facility. One resident, a Pearl Harbor survivor upset by the news, had a heart attack that morning and had to be sent to the VA hospital. The rest of us more or less wandered around, trying to carry on with our day, but it was useless........we all felt like the world as we knew it had ceased to exist.

As indeed it had. Like LV Bolt Fan said, I too felt that the attacks were, in actuality, the first shots of WW III, and I said as much to my family that night. It still feels like that in a number of ways. And I remember 9/11 just like it was literally yesterday.:icon_sad:

NEVER FORGET

7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I was at work and just happened to be working in San Diego at the time tho it was brief. We had a job safety meeting and it was mentioned that a plane had hit the WTC but after a few Wow's here and there, nobody thought much of it.

A guy i was working with that day kept getting calls from his Wife and a short time later heard a 2nd plane had hit and then we knew we were under attack. He was getting calls back and forth and then he said " the WTC towers just collapsed" and i asked which floor and how bad and he said " all the way to the ground" and i was shocked and asked him if he was sure because those things as we know are huge.

Then he got some reports of planes missing around SD someplace and they grounded every plane in the US.

Didnt get nothing done that day and in fact, several of us just went home. We were working 12 hour days so nobody cared if they missed a day for something that was happening 3,000 miles away because this was such huge news and we wanted to know who was attacking us.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    I woke up, turned on my clock radio and was just lying there wondering "what is Peter Jennings doing on the radio?" I flew downstairs turned on the TV and saw it all happen.

Called my wife (then girlfriend) and told her what happened. She had to drive into Coronado at the Hotel Del for a conference she was taking part in. She got there and everyone was just in front of TV's. Some who flew in couldn't leave that day.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I was awake sitting on the couch when I heard that the first plane had crashed into the world trade center. I had severely broken my foot about a week before and just got home from the hospital after having surgery the day before. I was in a lot of pain that night and couldn't sleep, so I set up on the couch with a bunch of pillows keeping my foot elevated. I planned to just sleep on the couch, but couldn't sleep all night. I remember being completely bored because not much was on TV. I remember watching the old Maverick TV show staring James Garner on nick at night.

Then, when I'm finally getting tired and about to fall asleep, I heard about the first plane crashing. I'm thinking, what the hell, how could you miss the world trade center. Then the second plane hit and I was like oh ****, this is not good. I watched for and hour or two. Until after the towers came down.

Finally, I grabbed the crutches, took some pain killers and made it back to my bedroom to go to sleep. I had a roommate at the time and contemplated waking him up to let him know, but then thought he'll find out soon enough. I let him sleep. I remember thinking that he was lucky to have a few more hours before having to know what happened.

10. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    I was at Middle school half way through my day then we were told that we should go home immediatly and got home both my mum and dad had the news on the TV with them reporting on 9/11 and showing replays when the planes crashed

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I was teaching a web development class when the news broke. Like many others, my first thought was horrible accident until the second plane hit, then news of the Pentagon. Between watching the TV & internet news, no more class was taught that day. Spent a fair amount of time walking outside & looking up. Being between DC & the Tidewater area (naval bases, etc.), I was afraid we might see something closer to home.

12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    They're doing the memorial services at Ground Zero, The Pentagon, and Shanksville, PA now :icon_sad:

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    seven years without an attack
    that's got to count for something

• Like Like x 1
  14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    At that time I was living in Mission Valley and working in Encinitas. So I was going about my daily routine in getting ready for work. With that, I'd always turn on the TV for traffic updates.

First thing I saw was the hole in one of the towers (not sure which one at the time.) I was thinking to myself "how could this have happened?"
    That's when I noticed the text at the bottom that read "America Under Attack." Then coverage went right to the Pentagon and they had mentioned that another hijacked plane is flying over Pennsylvania.

On my way to work, they had mentioned that two hijacked planes were headed for LA, but as it turned out, those were the ones that went into the towers.

A real alarm went off in my head when I arrived at work. A coworker from New York was calling his family to make sure everyone was OK.
    That's when I thought about my Uncle. He lives in Manhatten. I didn't know his number by heart so I called my grandmother's house to see if she had heard from him (she lives in New Jersey.)
    I was very relieved when my uncle answered the phone. I asked what he was doing there. Apparently, he went there for the weekend and decided to stay a couple days longer. He was suppose to have a business meeting in one of those towers that morning but he had got a call on Sunday (9/9/01) that it was postponed.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    DON'T **** WITH US!!! :flag:

16. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255
    Click on the pic for full size:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312

This really gets to me.

18. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I was laying in bed with my girlfriend in San Diego (Palm Avenue (the one that goes from IB to Chula) and Holister) when my buddy from back east called me and told me to turn on the TV.

My initial reaction, more thank shock or horror, was awe. It was just so intensely real that my reaction was to consider it more in historic than human terms.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    It's good to see sane, compassionate people. Everytime I've brought it up recently I've had at least one person that claimed it was a "false-flag terror attck perpetrated by the neoconservative government to justify a war in the middle east" or someone who says, "you know the govenment knew full well and just allowed it to happen." The nerve of some people, to disgrace the people that lost thier lives that day with such nonsense. I have so many things I can say to point out how absolutely stupid they are but just telling them that usually shuts them up.

20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    This is an account I read on that day from a friend of mine who was there-

Guys,

In response to a B/C from Toby I am recounting what I can remember of that trip. If I get the names people, places and streets screwed up, well, I'm a FOG and it was seven years ago.

Background:

My then 19 year-old daughter Jessica was about to start her senior year in college, working on a BA in pre-law. It was time for her to apply for law school so she and I planned a cross-country trip with her to visit 50 law schools to assist her in deciding where to apply. One problem was that she was only 19, so we wanted to visit the schools to get a feel for how they would react to someone that young applying as well as prvide her with an oppertunity to see if she liked the campus and the community. From this trip she would decide to which schools she would apply.

Because there had to be something in it besides strictly business, we decided that we would link up with various members of the SF-List, teammates from Viet Nam, see plenty of tourist sites and allow Jessica to see the last of the USA. There were still eight states to which he had not been in her life so we included them in our Itinerary.

On this trip we got to meet with and coin the following SFers and their LYBs: Dan P, John N, Gary L, Mike C, Reg M, Bob J, Mark A, Jack T, Greg H, John H, Don V, Woody W, Carl C and Dan D Many guys on the SF-List knew our itenerary and new that we were in NYC that fateful day.

As I said, we also did some tourist activities, especially on the weekends. For example we went to New London, Ontario Canada just so Jessica could legally drink. Another thing that we did was visit tall buildings with an observation decks. For example, we went up the Sears Tower in Chicago.

9/11 ~

Jessica and I arriver in NYC on September 10th after visiting Harvard and Yale earlier that day. By the way, Jessica hated those two schools. Anyway, once we got to NYC late that afternoon we did a little touristing, to include to taking a beautiful picture of evening setting on the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center. Little did we know at that moment that it was the last time anyone would ever be able take a picture of the Twin Towers at sunset.

We spent the night at the Navy Lodge on Staten Island.

On the morning of September 11th we got up early as we had a big day scheduled. We were going to go visit the World Trade Center, the Empire State building, check out Times Square then visit some Law School (CRS) that afternoon. We would then RON with Reg M in Doylestown, PA that evening.

Jessica was driving for the entire trip and I served as her navigator. We left the Navy Lodge, headed for Manhattan. We crossed the Verrazano Narrows Bridge into Brooklyn. From there we took the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel over to Manhattan. Then we went up Church Street or Trinity Place or whatever it was for a few blocks past the World Trade Center and turned left towards the water. We had hoped to park at one of those parks (Esplanade, Battery or whatever) and walk over to the World Trade Center.

Poor Jessica wound up with a piss-poor navigator that morning. For whatever reason, before I could see the parking lot entrances we were past both of them. I had Jessica turn left (east) and we would go around and try again. I am not sure what all streets we were on but we stumbled upon Rector Street so I had her take it over to Wall Street, figuring that we would find a parking garage there. By this time it must have been about 20 or 30 minutes before the first plane hit.

The New York City parking Gods were looking out for us and we found what must have been the only available parking spot in Lower Manhattan right there on Wall Street and it was only a few blocks from the WTC. Jessica parked and we headed off to go check out the observation deck at the WTC. Then things started to happen that, looking back, might want you to cue in "The Twilight Zone" music at this point. Neither Jessica nor I could ever remember just what happened or who said what, but it happened something like this.

After walking about three blocks towards the WTC for some unknown reason we both stopped at the exact same moment and faced one another. One of us spoke, and we don't know who said it, but who ever it was said, "Why are we going to The World Trade Center? We saw it last night and besides, we already went to the top of the Sears Tower, which is taller."

Without any further discussion we turned and headed back to her car. We got in and drove up to Times Square, the second stop on that day's itinerary. By the time we got there, perhaps 20 minutes after we mysteriously stopped and changed our plans, they were showing WTC in flames on that big screen at Times Square and broadway. All of the folks were just standing around in shock. We asked a guy standing on the sidewalk what was up. He said that "They attacked the World Trace Center." We turned on the radio and only then discovered what was going on and how close we had come.

Then the second airliner hit. We could see smoke and flames looking down Broadway. When the second one hit the guy on the radio called them "Mother ****ers." I guess that FCC regulations were set aside that day.

I knew at that point that I had only one objective and that was to get my daughter off of Manhattan Island. They announced that all bridges and tunnels on and off of Manhattan were closed to vehicle traffic. This was only about my third trip to NYC in my entire life so I did not know my way around too well, but I knew that if we headed north that we would at least escape the canyons of tall buildings. But I also was afraid that the attacks might include nuclear or biological components.

Jessica and I were headed south on Broadway at this point, towards the WTC, and the cops had taken control of all intersections. They were not letting people turn off of Broadway. We could only park and walk or continue southwards towards the WTC. We got down to about 32nd Street (perhaps ten blocks) and the cop there was a bit bewildered by all that was happening. I seized the opportunity to have Jessica turn left, which she did, listening to her dad rather than the cop. The cop was far too busy to give a **** about us anyway.

Then we got to Madison Avenue, where I told her to turn left again and start heading away from the WTC. I said earlier that I thought that it might have been Fifth Avenue, but I am sure it was Madison Avenue.

We fought gridlock for a long time, but slowly the traffic moved and once we got up in the vicinity of Central Park it opened up a bit. The further we got away the more comfortable I felt about my obligation to protect my daughter. As it turned out, she was never in immanent danger, but I did not know that at the time.

It took us several days to get back on our original plans. Many universities closed down that day and remained closed for a few days. By eliminating whatever law school we were supposed to visit that day, Jessica headed out to Reg's place. But without an adequate map of just how one gets to Doylestown, PA from NYC without taking a freeway. The only thing I had to guide me was an Email from Reg telling me how to get to his house once we got to Doylestown.

I have a good sense of direction but did not own a GPS unit at that time. I knew that Doylestown was generally southwest of NYC, so I kept Jessica heading in that general direction. I figured that we would eventually see a sign that said Doylestown. Once I got to town I could use Reg's Email to guide me the rest of the way. Reg was out committing golf so there was no way I could lean on him to guide us there.

All of the streets that we traveled were just small two lane county roads. We were driving down some country lane but still with no idea of where we were or how far we were yet to go. Suddenly I yelled at Jessica, "Turn left here!" She jacked on the brakes and made her left turn at the last possible moment. There was no traffic on that country road, so no harm done. I guess everyone was glued to their teevee sets.

I had recognized the name of the street on which Jessica turned left as one of the streets named in Reg's Email. After only a few blocks we came to another street from his E-mail. She turned right on it and within a few black we came upon the street where Reg lived. We turned in, found his house and made it to his house about an hour and a half ahead of schedule. He'd have been there earlier but I guess he went to the club house to see what was happening on the teevee...

Other than a few colleges being closed that week because of the attacks, the only other problem we had on that trip was the security at the JAG school in Virginia. But our own Jim P took care of that little problem for us. He had a friend of his meet us at the gate and he personally gave us the grand tour. I think that the guy's name was Mark, but CRS is a *****.

As for my daughter, she picked twenty of the original law schools to which she would apply. Ten accepted her and ten sent her "**** you very much" letters. Of the ten that accepted her, the one that gave her the most money to attend was Gonzaga, so that was where she decided to attend. But just like her older sister who also went to law school, the first thing she learned there was to do what many lawyers do best to other folks -- Both of them got pregnant. Jessica got married and never went back to school. Tracy, my oldest daughter, never went back to law school either, but is getting her PhD next month.

By the way, you might ask who I was the angriest with on 9/11. It was George Bush. I was pissed that by sunset that evening Afghanistan still existed and was not just a glass parking lot. Had I been POTUS I would have launched our nuclear arsenal on those rag headed SOBs and I would not have stopped with Afghanistan. I guess that is one of many reasons that I am not POTUS. Just don't mess with my family – God forgives, P's don't.

Robert P

21. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
  22. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
  23. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    my wife had fell asleep on the couch w/ the TV on. I came downstairs in the morning to the site of smoke coming from the first tower. I remember thinking 'what crappy movie is this' and picking up the remote. a second later i'm wondering why the crappy movie is on every channel. then it started to dawn on me.

on a more upbeat note my wife and son got back awhile ago from delivering a giant tray of 4 types of homemade cookies to our local fire station as our family's way of saying thanks to our local heros on a day when they lost so many of their own. they also delivered cookies to the other fire station and the police station theis morning. this is her third year doing this and i'm very proud of her.

they swept her and my son up and took them on a tour of the station and truck. he got to sit behind the wheel of the truck and turn on the flashing lights. he got to hold an axe and even got dressed up in the protective gear. he was digging it as you expect any little boy would.

since he has autism this is our way of making sure he knows who the good guys are and to go to them in an emergency situation if we aren't there or are incapacitated.

a little off topic, but I thought it was appropriate to the spirit of the thread:flag:

• Like Like x 1
  24. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    I turned on the TV right after the first tower was hit... Was thinking to myself that the pilot must have had a heart attack or something.... Started thinking that he should have just dumped it in the Hudson rather than taking out a whole building... Didn't have long to dwell on that thought before the second building was hit. I was in my bedroom getting dressed and had to grab on to my dresser because I almost fell over then when second tower was hit.

We had a no brainer by that time.... we were under attack. I remember thinking that they have to get all planes out of the air NOW..... It seemed to me to take forever to get that accomplished.. but when you think of how big a task it was.... it was probably done with "lightning speed"

I remember going in to wake my son up for school. My voice was shaking as I explained that I thought our country might be at war soon. He didn't really understand but seemed more concerned for me because I was visibly shaken and in tears. At the time I remembered thinking that this is what his memory of 911 is going to be.... as my first recollection of the JFK assassination was that of waking up from a nap and seeing my mother crying and not understanding what was going on.

The day was a lost day for me... Got nothing accomplished... Was in a fog. The skies were so quiet for two or three days... Very noticeable.

• Like Like x 1