1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a new HDTV. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ray Dahayder, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I was thinking of bringing my Sony plasma to my mom's in san diego and hooking her up to HD and tivo.... I'd like to get a 50-52" size screen.... of course, top of the line, 1080i. I've always liked sony's but do you all have suggestions as to a great tv and somewhat cheap ($500) receiver for sound? I don't have a big room and I really don't need to blast the neighbors out with the soundtrack from star wars. Just something "good". The TV is a "money is no object" however. Receiver should be around the $500 range. speakers? Again, just a small, 20 x 15 ' room. The surround sound isn't as important to me as the TV quality.

Also, I just got a new directv receiver to get more HD channels and it takes like 2 whole seconds to change channels. Anyone else experience a longer delay time with their new receivers?

2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    definetly go 1080p. And sony is a very safe bet.

I have a 60 inch and its too big. YOu actually have to sit away to take it all in. Go 50 inches or less.

3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    There are Panasonic plasma's, and then everything else.

LCD's suck unless you are directly in front of them.

4. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Check out COSTCO... they extend the warranty 2yrs beyond the manufacturer warranty...

5. ghost

ghost BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm a Panasonic plasma man myself. I do not like the looks of an LCD monitor, they look like they have a chroma push.

Panasonic has the best deep black detail, with Pioneer and Hitachi next.

As far as receiver, check out the Onkyo TX-SR705. It has three HDMI inputs, and it can be had for as low as $609.00 bucks. It's getting rave reviews.

The model below it (Onkyo TX-SR605) converts an 1080i signal to 720P if you are running an HDMI connection through to your TV, but it runs only $425.00. That's the only difference.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?class=Receiver&m=TX-SR605&p=i

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR705&class=Receiver&p=i

6. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Huh? :icon_huh:

I think you are talking about Plasma's, especially when there is too much light in a room. I have the Sony XBR LCD and can sit way off to the side with no issues at all. Our seating curves around to either side and I've never had anyone complain about it.

Top of the line today:

Pioneer Kudro
    New Samsung F series
    XBR5 from Sony

Can't go wrong with those listed above. I've always been biased towards LCD's, especially as the technology has gotten better. TV's above give you good contrast/deep blacks, 120hz on the motion in case you watch a lot of sports, etc....can't go wrong. If you are going with more of a home theater set-up and you can control the lighting in the room really well, then Plasma is definitely a good way to go, otherwise go with one of the new LCD's on the market.
    There are other's but I have to go and that's all I can think of for now.

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Which D* receiver do you have? If it is one of the HD DVR's (HR20, HR21), make sure that the "Native" is set to OFF. Long story as to why, but just try that. I've read where that can cause slow channel changing.

As for Plasma vs. LCD, plasmas have a much wider viewing angle. But LCD's are better for brightly lit rooms. LCD's cost less and most are now 1080p (better than 1080i) and also weigh less.

I like the Samsung & Sharp (Aquos) for LCD, Panasonic for plasma.

One very important thing:
    If the TV is going into a entertainment center or wall unit, make sure you measure the space for the TV. I've got a 50'' Samsung DLP. It's actually 46" wide, and the opening for my wall unit is 48". In my case the TV just fit. If I want to get a new TV I have to make sure that it isnt' wider than 48". Some TV's have a thick bezel or have speakers on the right & left sides, so look out for that.

8. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Did you play "Magic: The Gathering" in the corner of the lunchroom in high school?

9. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I think the newer Samsung LCDs have an amazing picture...

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,584
    So you're saying I should apologize for having better grasp of technology than you do? :icon_shrug:

Jealousy really doesn't become you MTL.

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,584
    They really do. If I had a choice, I think I'd lean toward Samsung for an LCD TV.

12. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    [​IMG]

13. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Having been into HT (home theater) for a long time, the old technology is still the best, however CRT is more of a hobbyist thing now, the DLP's, Plasma's and LCD's are for mass consumption.
    For many DLP is out of the question, because even at these high color wheel speeds, with extended viewing, some still get eye strain, which leads to head aches.
    The good thing about this type display is that you can overdrive them (high contrast settings) and other than a light bulb, they don't wear of burn. The bulb can be changed and the rest of the display is not wasted.

LCD technology has come a long way in the last couple years, but some newer sets still have motion issues.
    The big thing to realize about LCD is that this is an organic display system, the liquid crystals are grown, and are prone to wear and burn if over driven (as in high contrast settings)

If I were to buy a digital display it would be a plasma, the blacks are deeper (as in close to black and not a sick shade of gray, but still not close to CRT black) When the human eye preceives depth in a displayed image, it does so through black and what's called "shadow detail"...the deeper the blacks, and better the shadow detail, the more 3-D the preception.
    Plasmas do wear and burn just like a LCD, but not as bad.
    Right now the new Pioneer Kuro is considered the best plasma. I haven't seen one yet, but have read about the much lower exitation floor which creates these "CRT type" blacks...very good news if true. However to buy this new Pioneer plasma technology you'll pay through the nose, I believe it's only in their Elite series.

You can buy a Samsung LCD for about 2/5 the price of a Pioneer, and for the average eye, you'll never know the difference.
    A couple years ago ISF guru Joe Kane was hired by Samsung, and he really stepped in a made a big difference in the quality of their displays. If I were recommending a display to a friend who didn't need, or couldn't afford the best, then this is my recommendation...great bang for the buck.

With anything below approx 48-50" your not going to see the difference between a display that's doing 1080p, 1080i, or 720p and all your high Def sources can be set for any of these frequencies. So for smaller displays 1080p just isn't that important...unless it's important to you.

The problem with all these technologies is that to keep your display looking good for several years, it needs to be calibrated by someone who knows what they are doing...and once calibrated most displays will look terrible in strong sun lit areas...you would need a certain amount of light control, NOT total control, just a way to "dim down" the room. The dimmer it gets, the better the picture looks.
    My HT room has walls and ceiling paint 18% black...and that's not 18% down from white, that's 18% up from black! So when the lights go out in that room, you can't see your hand in front of your face...even in the daylight hours. You don't need to do anything like this, just control window/room light.

These days you can step up to a really big display (like 100") for not much more than the cost of a decent 60" flat panel...but that's a whole different system, and doesn't really have a high SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor)

14. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    A good choice (the picture is so crisp, to me anyway but I'm far from an expert) and a cute avatar...I just went to my little nephew's 4th birthday party and they grow up so fast...he is into dinosaurs, play dough, Bob the Builder and Star Wars so it was kind of fun to shop for him...he is my only nephew and I have no nieces so I kind of like to spoil him. But yikes, give him back to his mom (my sister) when he is crabby :icon_eek:

15. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    I beg to differ on the point about 720 versus 1080 not making a big difference givent he screen sizes you mentioned. For the most part, ESPN broadcasts in 720 (motion, etc). If you ever tune to CBS during their telecast of a football game and compare two tv's (a 720 and 1080 screen) in that 36-50" range, you can tell a difference. I get the NFL ticket HD package, so on sundays, games are on most of the tv's in the house. Except for the 36" tv, all of my tvs are 1080. I'm telling you, you can see the difference. Now, if I switch to ESPN and try to watch a basketball game or Monday night football, you can see the difference in quality there too. Right now, both NBC and CBS are putting out the best quality out there in that they are broadcasting sports in 1080. Maybe it's just me, but I see a big noticeable difference.......maybe it's because I'm anal. :unsure:
    As for the samsung, the new F series is supposed to be incredible. It's also tough to beat the new Sony XBR's.