1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a reason VJ not made available to all

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006

By Kevin Acee , UNION-TRIBUNE
    Friday, August 27, 2010 at 1:14 p.m.

We all know AJ Smith is not above putting the screws to Vincent Jackson and his agents.
    Confident his team can win a Super Bowl without Jackson and knowing the Chargers would receive a third-round draft pick if Jackson does eventually sign a mega contract, Smith could essentially force Jackson to sit out this season.
    Don't think it wouldn't be punishment for trying to force Smith's hand. But, moreover, it might be done as a powerful message to the rest of the Chargers players and every agent around the NFL.
    I know Smith doesn't mind the John Wayne references and other, sometimes bad words used to desrcibe him. I think he might even fancy himself the John McClane of NFL General Managers.
    So, as Darwin the hamster said in the action classic G-Force
    I can't say that's the course of action I'd take. Or that very many others in Smith's position would take.
    And if this is what Smith is doing, he hasn't shared it with me. I purposely did not talk to him before ripping off this blog at 30,000 feet between DFW and New Orleans.
    I'm just saying Smith is not above doing such a thing.
    I've spent a fair amount of time observing him, as well as talking to him and others about how he operates.
    You can rip me for being Smith's publicist, as some have done, or you can read on and learn a little something about the possible method behind Smith's maddening madness.
    His tough-guy image (usually described in more colorful terms by agents) is important to him. He believes it helps him doing business.
    Among the quotes Smith has printed out in large bold type on plain white paper and framed in his office is one from Abraham Lincoln that reads:
    "It’s important that people know you walk among them without fear."
    Smith is not his players' friend. He very much likes many of them and enjoys talking to some more than others. But he is highly satisfied holding himself apart from them too.
    Smith is not interested in helping players or their agents. I don't believe he spoke to Jackson's agent when he called the Chargers to try to get them to help facilitate a trade. But a conversation would have gone something like this:
    "Hey, AJ. Neil Schwartz here. How about we --"
    "Whoa! Neil, there's no 'we' here."
    Sure, Smith has an ego. The difference between him and a lot of people in the NFL is that Smith doesn't try to hide it.
    I have a theory. It is proffered not just by me but derived as I spoke to people around the league as I try to understand why Smith won't have right-hand man Ed McGuire call up at least the NFC teams and tell them Jackson is on the block.
    I've made it clear in many forums I think he should do that. I've also made clear that unless Jackson and his agents come down on their price, it doesn't matter. Every team in the league knows what Jackson is asking for, and none of them are going to pay it.
    Anyway, the theory offered here is that Smith is trying to preserve Jackson's trade value.
    I've had several people say that once teams perceive a team is motivated (desperate) to trade a player, the potential value is greatly diminished.
    It is possible, numerous people concur, that Smith sees a live one on the line in Seattle, which has a passionate new coach who covets big receivers. Maybe, the thinking goes, Smith wants to see what happens there before allowing others into the frenzy.
    See, Schwartz and partner Jonathan Feinsod need multiple teams bidding against each other. Smith does not, not at this point.
    Now, should the Chargers suffer an injury between now and October, maybe Smith will need a card to play.
    Or maybe he won't.
    Remember, he's Captain Compensatory. I can see him having no problem letting Jackson go as a free agent and collecting a compensatory draft pick.
    Smith is clearly stockpiling picks for 2011 and would love to start working on '12.
    Jackson is not in the Chargers' long-term plans. I think they should unload him now as long as they get a reasonable price -- say a second-rounder in 2011 and third- or fourth-rounder in 2012.
    But as was pointed out to me by one well-respected, long-time and big-time agent as I sat waiting for my plane in Dallas, trades in the NFL are rarely done for the price that "makes sense." It's usually for much less.
    Maybe Smith is playing hardball in order to try to get his price.
    Whatever, it's awfully easy (and completely inaccurate), to say it's simply Smith's ego keeping Jackson here.
  2. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

May 22, 2006
    Well, duh. I don't think that anyone that has actually looked at -- and learned from -- AJ's history discovered anything new from that article.

This situation is vintage 100% prime AJ Smith.

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Jul 11, 2006
    Why is it that some folks just don't understand, there is no big hurry for the Chargers to dump VJ? If another GM wants him bad enough he'll make the offer to AJ and then AJ can then cause prison **** on said team. It all makes perfect sense to me, VJ ain't going anywhere soon unless a team like the pathetic Foreskin's ante up and pay the price. No hurry, no worry.
  4. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Aug 1, 2010
    Yeah, Smith can sit on Jackson, forego his services and any compensation beyond another compensatory pick. But that's not in the team's best interest. I mean geezus, Jackson doesn't want to play there, so fuq'n what!? Move the guy and get some compensation, sh!+.

It's my understanding that the more successful executives establish and build a positive rapport with as many executives, scouts, agents, coaches and owners as possible. It would seem to me that if every negotiation Smith is involved in is nothing more than my way or hell to pay, that can't possibly lead to an extensive network of contacts and information. Perhaps, this is a reflection of not having any partners? Denver was in a similar situation, realized Marshall's demands were more than they were going to pay, so they moved the guy and rec'd considerable compensation. It's all behind them.

Clearly, having to reach in the draft like he did for Matthews is a reflection of not having enough information about the teams picking in front of him. In at least one respect Acee is making the same contradiction he made the other day. Only this time he notes that there are a number of executives and/or personnel people who believe it's in the Chargers interest to allow access to Jackson. But like the last article, he then says unless Jackson's asking price comes down, it doesn't matter. How does he know that? That can only mean there has been extensive discussion between Jackson's camp and other teams. The part suggesting there's still a possibility with Seattle just doesn't look the part, I'm sorry.
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Jan 19, 2006
    The only thing that would make any sense in this situation is what I mentioned on the podcast; that while teams ARE interested in VJ, as soon as he announced his price, those teams scattered. That would at least explain why a team like the Seahawks, upon hearing his terms, shut down negotiations. Teams aren't stupid, if the price is out of their range and the player has red flags, you won't bother with the action of actually asking for permission to negotiate. Hence you have one team, the Seahawks, who asked for permission before VJ and his agent announced his price.

If that's the case then I question if this is at all AJ's fault or whether its Vincent Jackson's for asking for an absurd amount of money.
  6. Johnny Lightning

Feb 7, 2006
    Vincent Jackson speaks; was too expensive for Vikings

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 27, 2010 6:54 PM ET

Chargers wideout Vincent Jackson says he wants to remain in San Diego, but that he's fully prepared to sit out the 2010 season.

Those were the somewhat predictable highlights of an interview he conducted with Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network on Friday. They were the first on-the-record comments from Jackson in quite some time. He admits he doesn't know what's going to happen.

"We've been trying to figure that out," Jackson said via the San Diego Union-Tribune. "Again, I trust my agents, they've been doing a great job for me, but we really don't have an idea right now. We're not being granted permission to speak to other teams and we're not even sure if they want to trade me. I would love to stay in San Diego.

"That's where I've been and I have a good relationship with the guys that are there. I miss being around my teammates, but again I understand the beast of the business. We're just controlling everything we can right now."

One thing they can control is Jackson's pricetag. Kevin Acee of the San Diego-Union Tribune reports that the Vikings, in addition to the Seahawks, balked at Jackson's agents request for a five-year, $50 million contract.

It's been a busy week in Jackson news and we don't expect it to slow down anytime soon.

By stepping in front of a camera, Jackson is reminding the 31 other teams that he's still out there, hopeful for a contract offer that may not arrive his season
  7. Johnny Lightning

Feb 7, 2006
    Jackson speaks

By Kevin Acee , UNION-TRIBUNE
    Friday, August 27, 2010 at 2:39 p.m.
    Nelvin C. Cepeda / Union-Tribune

Vincent Jackson scores a touchdown last December against the Bengals.

Vincent Jackson appeared on NFL Network’s Total Access today.
    In the interview, which took place in Phoenix, where Jackson has been training, Jackson said a lot of things that have previously only been attributed to those close to him.
    The most definitive answer came when he was asked whether he is prepared to sit out the entire 2010 season.
    “Absolutely,” Jackson replied. “We’re prepared for that. The union comes and talks to us about the lockout possibly next year and I’ve been financially smart. I’m ready for the long haul, but again I miss football. I’m passionate about the game. I wouldn’t be out here training and working as hard as I am if I wasn’t. I’m hoping everything works out, but I’m not holding my breath for anything."
    Jackson, unhappy with being a restricted free agent and not getting a long-term contract from the Chargers, has not signed his one-year tender, which was originally for $3.268 million.
    On June 15, the Chargers slashed the tender to $583,000, which is 110 percent of his 2009 salary. When Jackson did not report on Aug. 20, he was placed on the Roster Exempt List. That precludes him from playing in three games after the date he signs and reports.
    Additionally, Jackson faces a three-game suspension as a result of his January 2009 DUI arrest, his second such arrest since 2006.
    Since he can not report to a team during his suspension, he needs to sign by the time rosters are cut down on Sept. 4 or he will miss at least six games.
    Jackson told the network he has not personally spoken to anyone in the Chargers’ front office.
    “I trust my agents,” he said. “They’re doing all they can to handle that situation and I’m doing everything I can control as far as being the best receiver I can be by staying physically ready to go.
    He also said he doesn’t know what the Chargers plan to do with him.
    “We’ve been trying to figure that out," Jackson said. "Again, I trust my agents, they’ve been doing a great job for me, but we really don’t have an idea right now. We’re not being granted permission to speak to other teams and we’re not even sure if they want to trade me. I would love to stay in San Diego. That’s where I’ve been and I have a good relationship with the guys that are there. I miss being around my teammates, but again I understand the beast of the business. We’re just controlling everything we can right now."
    The Chargers have removed Jackson from their long-term plans, the final straw coming when he was cited the morning of their Jan. 17 playoff game for driving with a suspended license. They gave permission for the Seattle Seahawks to negotiate with Jackson's agents, but those talks went nowhere due to the agents' demands for a five-year, $50 million deal with $30 million guaranteed.
    League sources also said the Minnesota Vikings balked at that price as well.
    Jackson's agents have expressed frustration over the Chargers being unwilling to allow them to officially speak to more teams. However, league sources have indicated that each of the half-dozen teams that have expressed interest in Jackson are aware of the contract Jackson is seeking and none is interested in that price.
    One NFC team official put Jackson's worth at $35 million over five years with about $15 million guaranteed.
    In saying the sides have never talked about a multi-year contract, Jackson invoked a marriage theme that people close to him have sounded for some time, referring to Jackson having played out his rookie contract and wanting to stay a Charger with a long-term commitment.
    “We had a five-year deal, and I completed my five-year engagement and there has been no proposal," Jackson said. "… My job is to play football. I’ve always been told that you take care of stuff on the football field and the rest will take care of itself. That’s where I continue to put my focus. I think that I belong [in San Diego], I think I’m a good fit there, but this league is a fly-by-night type of thing and I’m willing to go to wherever fits best."