1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking into this years RB crop.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Mar 24, 2008.

?

Who do you like from this short list?

1. Felix Jones

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Jonathan Stewart

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  3. Ray Rice

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. Tashard Choice

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. Kevin Smith

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  6. Chauncy Washington

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Cory Boyd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Benjarvis Green-Ellis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Ryan Torain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Keon Lattimore

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    With the help of ESPN insider and Sporting News draft guide here are some known and some relatively anonymous Running backs in the draft that AJ could snag in the later rounds. (Excludes McFadden and Mendenhall who have little or no chance of being drafted by the Chargers)

Some power RB's you may not have heard of.

Benjarvus Green-Ellis (Miss)- 5'10, 225, 4.5) Possesses good bulk, appears to get stronger with each carry and can carry a heavy workload. Has adequate initial quickness, reads blocks well and hits holes hard. Shows good lower body strength and can push the pile in short-yardage situations.
    Negative is he doesnt have that 2nd gear for big explosive runs.

Allen Patrick (OU) (6'0", 197, 4.5) Shows above-average vision for a back and has the lateral mobility to cut back when sees defenders overrunning the play. Runs with good forward lean, can bounce off arm tackles and fights for yards after contact. Reaches top speed quickly and shows good burst around the corner.
    Negatives- Footwork is inconsistent and takes some false steps. Hesitates too long when the blocking isn't there and gets brought down behind the line of scrimmage a little too much. While can make first defender miss, lacks elite elusiveness and loses balance at times.

Matt Forte(TUL) (6'1", 221, 4.58) A compact runner who displays good burst through the line of scrimmage and enough strength to push the pile as an inside runner. Very instinctive runner with vision and patience to set up his blocks. Runs with solid pad-level and will lower his shoulder to deliver the blow. Churns out a good amount of yards after contact by staying low and driving his legs.
    Negatives- Lacks explosive burst. Is quick to and through the hole but will struggle to consistently bounce runs outside in the NFL. Lacks a second gear and will get tracked down from behind by faster defenders.

Cory Boyd (SC) - 6'1 212, 4.5) Possesses good height and size potential. Runs hard and with good pad-level. Shifty back that shows the ability to plant and quickly change directions to hit the cutback lane.
    Negative is he doesnt seem to have that 2nd gear. And has had some minor character issues.

Ryan Torain (AZST)- (6'0", 214, 4.58). Reads blocks well and makes sharp first cut. Runs north-south and hits the hole hard. Drives though arm tacklers, keeps driving legs and picks up yards after contact. Keeps head up, has adequate foot speed and exploits cutback lanes.
    Negatives are he's bad pass blocker, and runs a little too high.

Jehuu Caulcrick (MSU) (5'11", 253, 4.6). Is patient, has adequate vision and lets blockers get into position. Moves well enough laterally and can cut back. Runs hard, flashes the ability to bounce off arm tackles and flashes the ability to pick up yards after contact.
    Neagives is he runs too high and doesnt push the pile well.

Keon Lattimore (Mary) (5'10", 228, 4.5) Possesses good size for position and shows adequate burst through the hole. Is patient and waits for blockers to get into position.
    Negatives is his top end speed, and fumbles a bit too much.

Xavier Omon (MIA) (5'11", 219, 4.5) Thickly built and powerful back with adequate height and very good bulk. A one-cut downhill runner with adequate-to-good straight-line speed.
    Negatives are acceleration, and will not be the homerun threat that Turner was.

Slightly more known RB possibilities.

Felix Jones (ARK) (6'0", 205, 4.4) Versatile back with world-class speed. Exceptional when he can get the ball in space. Displays rare initial burst through the line of scrimmage and around the corner as an outside runner. Actually a great short yardage guy.
    Negatives are he's not quite big enough for what we're looking for, and he's not a load carrier.

Jonathan Stewart (5'11", 233, 4.5) Is a compactly built back with excellent body control. Shifty and quick; he runs low to the ground and has good change-of-direction skills. Shows very good initial quickness and also displays a second-gear when he gets through the line of scrimmage.
    Negatives is he's not a pure power back, and injury has been a major concern.

Ray Rice (RUT) (5'9", 197, 4.5) Has thick legs, has a strong lower body and excels at picking up yards after contact. Reads blocks well, shows good patience and explodes through seams as they open. Can also hit another level and go for the long TD.
    Negatives are he is vastly undersized and not very durable.

Kevin Smith (UCF)(6'1", 213, 4.5) Patient and makes the most of his blockers. Has above-average lower body strength, instinctively turns pads when trying to squeeze through tight spaces and can pick up tough yards in short-yardage situations.
    Negatives is his acceleration and tries to do too much.

Chauncey Washington (USC) (5'11", 215, 4.5) A one-cut downhill runner with good size, quickness and power Displays very good vision. Runs under control. He is a shifty and slippery runner that finds ways to slip into small holes for a bigger back.
    Negatives is obviously the top end speed, and agility is in question. Duribility is also a question.

Tashard Choice (GTech) (5'10", 210, 4.5) A workhorse back with natural running skills and excellent competitiveness. Reads blocks well, doesn't waste motion and gets through holes quicker than people seem to think. Bounces off armtackles a lot like MT.
    Negatives are he lacks any elite physical qualities. Is quicker than fast. Lacks breakaway speed and isn't much of a threat to go the distance when gets a seam.

Jamaal Charles (TEX) (6'1", 205, 4.37) Reads blocks well and shows adequate patience. Explosive, turns corner quickly and turns on the jets when gets into space. Moves well laterally and is capable of exploiting cutback lanes. Shows good balance, flashes a strong stiff arm and can pick up yards after contact.
    Negatives- Lacks elite size, relatively high center of gravity makes him vulnerable to big hits and there are concerns about ability to hold up as the primary ball carrier over the course of a 16-game season.

Mike Hart (MICH)(5'9", 200, 4.5) A gifted natural runner. One of the most competitive prospects in this class, regardless of position. Is patient but doesn't dance. Once he finds the crease he shows adequate initial burst and is very aggressive.
    Negatives- Lack of size is his biggest weakness. He lacks ideal height and bulk, especially in his lower-body. Runs hard but lacks the size and power to push the pile on short-yardage runs. Does not appear on film to be as fast as his 40-time might indicate.

So who catches your guy's eye the most?
    Do you think we need a power runner? Or just someone to give LT a break without losing much versitility?

2. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    What about Chris Johnson?

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Of the guys we have a legit shot at, I like Ray Rice. Chris Johnson is a classic slot guy. Matt Forte┬┤intrigues me as a guy who might be a terrific second day choice. Over all, I've seen better depth before.

4. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Yeah baby, he's a 2 for 1 potential RB and WR, like James Brooks!

But with Deion Sanders type breakaway speed.

Stan :rivers17:

5. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Is he as durable as Brooks? I think Brooks was sturdier and tougher. Talent up the gumpstump but not as strong as Brooks was.

6. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I would love to land Jonathan Stewart but he might not be there at 27 so I say we go defense DT or RT. If he is there when we pick I say we snag him.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h2yKRVAHItU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h2yKRVAHItU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

7. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    If we decide to use a #1, which im perfectly happy with, i would hope it would be Jon Stewart
    The guy is a beast

1st round
    1. Jonathan Stewart
    2. Chris Johnson
    3. Felix Jones

4th-7th round
    1. Kevin Smith
    2. Matt Forte
    3. Mike Hart
    4. Cory Boyd
    5. Xavier Omon

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I can't even legitimize why we'd waste a 1st round pick on a scatback like Chris Johnson when we already have his clone in Daren Sproles, who may not be as fast, but has definantly earned a spot on our roster as a spot back.

I'm going to add more players and their info to the list up there, but the poll only allows 10 names, so I chose the top 10 possibilities in my opinion given the rounds we're drafting in, and possible comp picks.

9. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Johnson is 20lbs bigger and much faster than Sproles and is a better receiver. Hes probably the best pass catching RB in this years draft

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555

I've watched J-Stew play for the last 2 years at Oregon, and let me tell you he is not the power runner his size and weight would make you think.
    He's more like a Shaun Alexander, not too powerfull, not too fast, just slippery and has a nose for the endzone.

11. BrOnCoS/32/33

BrOnCoS/32/33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Jonathan Stewart is the best RB on that list with the Toe Injury,Felix Jones in my point of view is the next Tatum Bell..Does anyone know what happened to Michael Bush the man looked like a beast coming out of college too bad that injury messed up his career :unsure:

12. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Michael Bush is a Raider and Felix Jones does'nt fumble like Tatem Bell

13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    So?

14. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Agree, So?

I havent seen him play but his physical statue and accomplishments are similar to Reggie Bush who as a RB hasnt cut it. Cant say anything bad tho. I dont do that to players i havent seen. Im just not sold on a RB for our first rounder. Particularly an undersized one.

15. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I would say GT's Tashard Choice would be a good pickup at RB. He's a good back, not the fastest though but he does read blocks well. I watched him all season with my brother in law (he's a big Tech fan) and i liked what i saw. Def a Turner style RB.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8CIJNPWsGN4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8CIJNPWsGN4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Gotta agree. I think he'll be the best that may still be available to us in a later round. Just don't see AJ using #27 for a RB. :no:

17. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I sometimes can't decide whether I'd rather see a change of pace big back or someone who can truly fill in for LT when he's out. I like to think keeping them guessing is better than...oh now they're going to run. Darren Sproles showed some real positive glimpses, especially in that Detroit blow-out but can he withstand a pounding if LT is hurt. We do have to remember he IS coming off of a fairly severe knee injury so someone needs to be able to actually step in if needed. This draft is so running back deep though...we should find help in any of the first few rounds. We just don't have many picks.

18. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Problem with choice is hes not a first round pick, but i dont see him being there in the 5th (or even 4th if we get that comp pick for DD)

19. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    That will be the problem with virtually all the backs mentioned by posters, including me. Unless we trade out of the 1st round for 2nd and 3rd rounders through whatever we offer that makes sense to AJ, I anticipate a lineman at #1. We drafted a DB in Oliver with a supplemental and traded a choice for the WR in Chambers, so those positions have been addressed in whatever scenario plays out in this draft. We have running backs on the roster who are just a legit as any second day draft choice and I doubt that the RB's available in the draft will assure us of a legit replacement come late April in the late rounds. AJ may have some sleeper in mind, but who that is will be a surprise come draft days. This is draft for need and our most pressing need is for line depth on both sides of the ball. So we can take the best lineman available, regardless of whether he plays defense or offense. My druthers right now are a DE if one worth a lst round choice is still on the board. If not, a guard, then a tackle.

20. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Yeah but i didnt think Turner would be there in the 5th either. I had him going in the mid 3rd that year in my mock and i thought i had him slipping a bit going there. You never know where the later round RB's will go in a draft that is deep.

As for the poll, i havent voted because i dont want a RB in the first round so it makes the choices moot since nothing is broken down in the poll.

If it said " if we pick one in the firsrt" and "if we pick one one day two" then that would have been better.

And, who is Keon Lattimore? I assume he will be a UDFA like Green-Ellis

21. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    just my guess. But since A.j. went himself to see and probably meet mike hart of michigan. That might be a hint. Alots gonna depend on just where our next picks are gonna land after the 1st pick.

So far reports are the chargers are looking at later round o-tackles, running backs, and cb's. Which leaves d-tackle as the possibilty with the first pick.

And it gets more confusing after that. The d-tackles we could use to backup and maybe be jamalls replacement will all be in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

22. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I don't see that either....maybe he'll be available in the later rounds but i doubt he'll be low enough to where we see him.

23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Matt Forte and Kevin Smith intrigue me the most, but I think they'll both be taken too early for us to snag one.