1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking like AJ Smith will be shown the door

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Looking more like Smith will join Turner out the door
    Written by
    Kevin Acee

As the winds blowing through San Diego seem intent on whisking Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith out of town along with head coach Norv Turner, league sources made it clear this week that Smith will at least be a candidate for other GM jobs expected to open around the league.

Chargers President Dean Spanos, according to those around the team and around the league, feels he has “no choice” but to go in another direction at head coach and that Turner will be fired at season’s end.

Sources close to Spanos say the boss is still grappling with whether to fire Smith. But league sources familiar with Spanos’ thinking contend the GM will almost certainly be fired due to the owner’s concern over the maelstrom that has taken hold of the fan base, essentially demanding the owner lop off the top of his football operation management.

“The decisions are not made,” said one team source, “but everything is lined up.”

Optimism is almost nonexistent that the Chargers will salvage the season, but it is believed a miracle run to the playoffs would save the jobs of Turner and Smith.

One source, who like the rest was speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly, said “The needle on (Smith’s possible firing) has moved from 50/50 to 75/25.”

Smith, who would come at a bargain basement price due to the fact the Chargers will owe him $6 million over the next three years, might not land far from San Diego.

Those fans who believe Smith has sunk the Chargers might get a chance to watch him work with another team near and dear to their hearts.

The early developing denouement of the Chargers’ season has given the rest of the league ample time to evaluate the situation, watching from afar and gathering intelligence. While at this point it can be difficult to cull reality from mere chatter, several people connected to the Chargers and other organizations have indicated Turner and Smith will be fired and will be considered for jobs elsewhere.

And Smith, according to league sources, will be on the list of candidates to become the Oakland Raiders general manager in 2012.

Too many questions about the Raiders GM position remain to accurately estimate Smith’s chances, but one source assured “he will be on the consideration list for sure.”

It is possible that Raiders head coach Hue Jackson could retain the personnel role he assumed as late owner Al Davis’ health deteriorated. Former Raiders coach and iconic broadcaster John Madden will be one of the advisors to Mark Davis, Al Davis’ son, and could join Raiders CEO Amy Trask in favoring bringing in a general manager with decision-making power regarding personnel versus entrusting it all to Jackson.

While Smith had an excellent professional relationship with Al Davis and has long-term ties to multiple people in the Raiders organization, it is not known how Mark Davis or Trask would feel about Smith as GM. And the current coaching staff, which includes Smith cronies, is expected to endorse Jackson remaining in both roles.

Smith has not been seen watching practice this week and has declined to speak about the team’s performance or about his job status.

However, it is known he wasn’t even certain about retiring when his contract runs out in San Diego following the 2014 season. So he will certainly want to continue working in the league, and word is that he will be considered by at least two teams who are likely to be among those in the market for a personnel chief.

Sources said that St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke has all but made up his mind to part ways with his coach and general manager at season’s end and that Smith will be on the list of potential replacements if Kroenke is looking for a new GM.

The irony in that is that current Rams GM Billy Devaney could be a candidate in San Diego. Devaney was the Chargers director of player personnel from 1990-2000, and his amicability with the media and public would certainly fit the revamped front office image Spanos is said to be exploring.

Devaney coming back to town is nothing more than speculation at this point, but it time to start thinking about what direction Spanos will go as he inches toward the decision to part ways with Smith.

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Good article. Didn't expect it coming from Accee though. If AJ is leaving only for Devaney to come here than I'd rather have AJ. What has Devaney done for the Rams that makes Spanos thinks he'd do better than AJ(I mean that's the only reason and goal after AJ is gone)?

3. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    too late, windows are closed. keep drafting 'football players' that are barely cfl starters

4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Gimme Steve Spagnuolo as DC now. Dunno enough about Devaney but it's not like the Rams are stacked with talent. Having said that his first round picks are playing unlike ours.

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    What will I use as my signature picture then? :mad:

6. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814

Devaney began his career serving as the director of pro personnel under Bobby Beathard from 1990 to 2000. Do we really need someone with the Beathard influence again? I agree that I would stick with AJ before Devaney.

7. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Acee is finally catching up...

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'll believe that there's gonna be a change when it's proven by action.

9. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I'm finally starting to believe that Norv will be fired, call me skeptical, but it'd take somethign big to get both of them canned.

If we were to lose all of our remaining games and the season ticket holders and fans were to go crazy then probably Smith gets canned too.

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Both AJ and Turner should go if this transpires and become reality. I just hope the next HC builds his own staff and one isn't implored on him, Dean and AJ should have been a wee bit smarter than to push that on Norv. when you dance, someone has to pay the piper.

11. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Listen guys..... My father in-law is a Lions fan. Most likely he will not see a SB before he dies. I wondwer if I am on the same track? :unsure:

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Lets hope they both go packing.

I worry the money they are owed will make it so they will stay.

13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I have no idea how old the man is, but I don't think you'll see a Lions SB win before he dies, so yeah, you're probably in the same boat. [/horrible humor]

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Wouldn't the money owed by the Chargers be in part mitigated by them getting a new job elsewhere? I've never been fully clear on that

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No. Their next job has no impact on what the Chargers owe them, unless you subscribe to the word according to Acee...

16. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Depends on the contract. Money owed to Shanny by the Donks would have been negated had he grabbed that job a year earlier (hence he took a paid year off and let the Donks spend $$$ on nothing).

I'm guessing you guys are debating the nature of AJs contract specifically. I'd read back, but **** it....

• Like Like x 1
  17. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Exactly. I think the above is the only logical answer one could give without the benefit of actually knowing the specific details of each man's contract. I can't understand why Conc is so sure that the Chargers on on the hook for the salaries regardless of future employment.

18. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    but than again, who would have thought the New Orleans and Tampa Bay would have won the SB before the Chargers. So yes it is possible. I just do not think JS is the right coach to take them there. He kinda looked like a little brat with that jm Harbaugh hand shake....

19. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I think, not sure, but I think because a former Chargers exec told him the specifics for Norv's contract.

20. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Yeah, I was gonna say, the man turned the Lions around pretty damn quick. Much like Peyton did with the Saints. Biggest weakness of the Lions that I see is Stafford. Not sure he'll ever kick the injuries.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Not specifics, merely told me generalities. He said in the 90's 1 year was guaranteed was common, later up yo 4-6 years became common. I have only seen objective evidence say that most assistant coaches had language written into their contracts to mitigate the amount owed if they took a job with another team. It is not current practice that execs and head coaches have that language worked into their contracts based on who I talked to and what I have read. So you guys make your own call on it, time will tell. Maybe ETicket can figure out why I think what I think if AJ and Norv are retained after the season, or if the media states what the Chargers will be on the hook for once they are let go.

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Dean needs to make this decision, pull the trigger on AJ and Norv and count your blessings. Hiring Khan and Cowher in a sense, may prove his commitment to winning and gain a new stadium. Saving a few million for the sake of keeping AJ and Norv over the prospect of a new krib for his team don't float.

23. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Did anybody else catch this?

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yeah I did.

Hope it happens. Smug bastard deserves being sentenced to that shyte-hole.

25. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Careful what you wish for.

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'll gladly watch him take his arrogant attitude to Oakland & watch him ruin that roster & staff.

I hear what you're saying. I just don't think that AJ can help but continue to stroke himself to the detriment of an organization.

27. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I don't hate A.J. as much as everyone else seems to, and I DO NOT want him to go to Oakland.

28. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    It seems that so many of us are so sure these two will be shown the door. Some questions. Where will this team play next year? Do the Spanos have the nuts to fire AJ? Why so many expectations that Coaches like Cower or Gruden would want to even come in here and start over? This is not the same "attractive" team with most of the parts just short of being a super bowl contender. No No. This team will need some major re building on the lines and the starting players that make a difference may not be back next year. So why the expectations that the Chargers will have all these great coaches and managers just waiting to be the next one to take us to the promise land?

29. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,737
    And the team doctor needs to go as well. Just saying...

• Like Like x 1
  30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hell, a RICO case could probably be built against that hack.