1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Looks like Pagano is still our DC

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Feb 9, 2016.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    And no announcement? What the heck?

3. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Hopefully this offseason will net Pagano a few new parts on the defense to take it up a notch next season.

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Tom Telesco also said he doesn't believe you can get impact players in free agency in his latest presser. This off-season is already starting off on the wrong foot.

5. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    "Mr. Telesco, there's a Mister 'Ware' for you on line two..."

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I wouldn't have minded a change but I don't hate this either.

7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    He said most clubs tend to sign their own players before they even hit the market, so it is harder to find impact players. He actually has been very active in free agency, Last year he reached out to Suh's agent to express interest, but at that point we knew he wasn't going to match top dollar, and it was also clear he wasn't leaving Miami without a deal, He reached out to Cobb, but before FA started Cobb signed back with Green Bay. He brought over the highest graded guard in Free Agency, He brought over Stevie Johnson, after The Cobb and Johnson deals were turned down.

He was brought here with us having a lot of bad over priced contracts, if he really meant what he said (about the draft filling needs and FA is to fill depth) really remains to be seen, because I doubt he would open his first hire presser by saying, " I don't have squat to work with over here" He didn't have much to work with in the past, and was focused on the likes of his own guys first, Liuget, Rivers, Flowers, Butler (who was the most popular signing in some time that year)
    But he still did bring in some players.

Now that he has money to spend, I still think he'll take care of his guys first, while figuring future contracts for guys like Allen and Ingram. But I don't think he's an idiot or stubborn enough to believe " nope were still not going to try to improve through Free Agency, because thats how I think" John Spanos is also in on those decisions and he said they're going to go through free agency and the draft, to try to get better in all areas of the team.

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I also looked all over to try to see Paganos contract extension and I saw no years anywhere which tells me this might be his last year from the renewal. The team, players and league are very high on Pagano, I also think the team knows he wasn't playing with a full deck of cards but utilized what he had to the best of their ability.

Coach D was a great coach but I think a lot of the injuries on the O line had to do with his way of coaching, Formations etc. I believe his release had to do with that.

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/14/chargers-re-sign-defensive-coordinator-john-pagano/

Says very explicitly there that his 2-year contract he signed when he was first made DC under Norf expired in January 2014 and that he'd get two more shots at it (the '14-15 season and the '15-16 season).

Honestly can't say I know what's going on, but by all accounts his contract expired last month. Whether or not the team has re-upped him I don't know.

Also, I'm not sure how the logic fits that the FO decided he (Pagano) wasn't playing with a full deck of cards and gave him a pass, but canned Joe D and Fred Graves - much less let Mike Nolan walk for a different gig - who were working with far less of a deck... unless of course it's just standard Spanos nepotism in full effect.

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Even though none were completely great, when injuries occurred Pagano still put players in an opportunity to still make plays and steadily improve as the season went on (granted he made chicken @#$% out of Chicken @#$%)

Coach D was hired to coach what on paper, looked to be the best O line this team has had in recent years. He failed to help get the running game going, the line also gave up 40 sacks (or something along the line of that) I didn't like the Coach D firing personally but I believe the team feels maybe it was the technique and form he taught that led to so many injuries (that's just my speculation)

I think Nolan is looking for a HC or Assistant gig which was probably denied because they were in talks with Whiz to get him back in his old position as ***. HC/ OC

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    We should have at least offered Nolan the DC gig. There were games this year where the defense was nearly 100% healthy and we still got completely run through.

The Browns game where Josh McCown smoked us.
    The Steelers game where (without Roethlisberger) they buckled in crunch time, AGAIN.
    The first Chiefs game where we got completely embarrassed 33-3.
    The first Raiders game where we gave up 37 points, and it could have been worse! If I remember correctly Te'o was the only starter on defense to miss that game. And he was replaced by Perryman... so there's that.

And that was the healthier portion of the schedule. After losing Liuget and Flowers you could argue we improved a little, which is completely counter intuitive. I really don't know what's going on around here, other than maybe the Spanai were just too sidetracked by all the LA bull**** to put real effort in a coaching search.

• Agree Agree x 1