1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Lorenzo Neal

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ekdog, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Ekdog

Ekdog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    I didn't pay much attention to what was happening during the off season, so please forgive me for bothering you with these questions:

Why did the Chargers release Lorenzo Neal?

He was such a powerful blocker. How much do you think his absence has contributed to LT's lackluster season?

What could they have been thinking when they let him go? Was he up for a new contract or something?

Cheers,

Ekdog

• Like Like x 2
  2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Cause AJ's a power, drunk idiot!!!

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    First of all, welcome to the forum.

Lo was let go at his request when he learned from Norv we were "phasing out" the FB and his playing time would be significantly decreased (even tho we're still using a fb fairly regularly).

4. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    That's a good question.

The better question would be- why did Norv phase him out and get rid of the fullback from a team that was one win away from the super bowl? Why re-tool and re-design a winning team?

Forrest Gump = Norv Turner

Stupid is as Stupid does.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I'll say this much... he did break his leg and at age 36, you wonder how much he has left BUT when your original plan was to have Pinnock out there, who only started a few games and rookie, Hester... YOU WANT THE VETERAN EXPERIENCE OF NEIL!!!

Norv should have let Niel start, and if he was not getting the job done, then put one of the other guys in. Norv should have said to Neil "OK, I'll let you start the season but I also want you to take the young guys under your wing and tutor them. Neil would have done it too!!!

Nice going, AJ!!!! :tdown:

6. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    It's obvious personnel decisions are not Norv's strong suit. LoNeal was not only a great blocker, he was a leader both on and off the field. There are none tougher than him and he set the tone for playing tough. I too, believe he would've schooled the younger guys as he is a total team player.

7. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    LT might have been much more successful this year had he had the benefit of a tough blocking FB like Neal.

• Like Like x 2
  8. JUGGERNAUT

JUGGERNAUT BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    i don't see the running game bein a fullback issue. most of the miscues start with the offensive line, especially old number 79. dude seriously sucks. neal would have picked up more blocks than the rookie, but it wouldn't have made much a difference.

• Like Like x 2
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Because Norv likes a one back set and almost never has used a fullback anywhere he's gone. In addition AJ has always liked moving veterans for younger (cheaper but more talented) players. So it was a combination of things and its coming back to bite us in the ***

Oh and welcome to the forum Ekdog and Juggernaut

• Like Like x 1
  10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I remember how last year when Norval would throw that swing pass to Lo in the flat on third down.

Good thing I was in the bar most of those games, cause the remote would have gone through the TV if I was at home.

I do miss Lo's attitude on the field. Dude was a BAD ***!!!

:icon_sad:

11. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +684
    1) The change in O scheme limited Lo's Role.
    2) Lo has stone hands and was not as useful due to 1.
    3) Lo Asked for his release.
    4) Pinnok was supposed to fill that sledge hammer roll, but got hurt after Lo was released and Pinnok was put on IR and then released.

Now we do not have that guy to clear the hole so LT is getting hit a lot before he passes the line of scrimmage.

12. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Slight edit...hope you don't mind :lol:

Seriously though, Neal's play as a pass catcher and runner was clearly in decline, but the guy was such a talented blocker combined with a killer's approach to the game he would have been worth his weight as a tutor to any of the kids we have now.

Dude's been the consummate professional for 16 years, and that is something that goes far deeper than stats and measurements could ever say...

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Either way you look at it... "Nice going, Norv!!!" :icon_evil:

14. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Did Lo Neal get signed this offseason? Did he have any offers?

:icon_shrug:

15. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I don't know..

Why did AJ not pick up ANY quality O-linemen in the draft? Why have we no real good WRs and rely on BUST er Davis and Busted Jackson.

Maybe we should question why AJ made his dumbest decsion fire Marty!

I know people blame him for hiring Norv, yet we fail to mention again he hired Ted who actually hurt our team worst than Norv.

• Like Like x 1
  16. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    He's playing in Baltimore. Not doing much there though, they're having great success with Flacco.

I agree with him being a great leader and all the other stuff that's been said of him. There wasn't much that I liked more than seeing him actually catch a ball, run for 3 or so yards then find someone to just hit. It just made me laugh. Placing blame on the front office for letting him go is a mistake though. The guy was unhappy here and wanted to leave, so the FO decided that they'd give him what he wanted. Sure, we miss him, but how many of you people were talking about how great we'd do even though he left? Now all of you are hating on Tolbert and Hester without really giving them a chance. :tdown: