1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Los Angeles & Anaheim tell the NFL to KMA & SMD

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3143775

Bringing NFL team to Anaheim ``dead issue'' councilman says

Associated Press

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The hope of an NFL team returning to the Los Angeles area seems to be fading after city officials in Anaheim said they plan to sell a potential stadium site to a developer who plans to build shops and office towers.

"The NFL's train has left," councilwoman Lucille Kring said Wednesday. "It would cost the taxpayers too much money, and the return on the investment does not warrant it."

Anaheim is expected to officially end its chase of an NFL team in a few months when it sells the 53-acre stadium site to Archstone-Smith and Hines.

And, with Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa saying last week that the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum is no longer a viable option, NFL fans may have another season without a hometown team.

"It's a completely dead issue with us," Anaheim councilman Harry Sidhu said. "If there's any chance of this coming back, it'll have to be in discussions with Archstone and the NFL."

Archstone officials declined to say whether they would be interested in continuing to negotiate with the NFL once they purchase the land, but one of the company's plans incorporates an NFL stadium.

There have been discussions about an NFL team playing in Anaheim but when the estimate to build a stadium topped $1 billion, city officials shied away from the project.

The city gave exclusive development rights to Archstone in May.

****** >>>>>>> Can anyone say the Toronto or maybe even the San Antonio Chargers ? Puerto Rico needs a team. Maybe nobody wants the Chargers? :lol:

2. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Mission Valley, please...
    VOTE mfers...

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The state of the economy and the credit crash are going to put a crimp on new stadium plans just about everywhere in the country. Municipal bonds will take a beating because the firms that underwrite them hold hundreds of billions of dollars in bad real estate loans and bad credit card debt-in addition to the rather historic beating being taken by the dollar. The financial corporations tried laying the debt off like bookies but the goose is laying fools gold eggs. If the situation affects Chula Vista, you can probably count on the Chargers finding an alternative to Qualcomm in the near future a tough sled.

4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Oh well LA sucks anyways. :bolt:

5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    one of the two Chula Vista sites will be picked this month, it will be that site for San Diego county or bust

6. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Don't count out Mission Valley yet, there's still a chance.

7. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Keep them north of TJ and South of Mo Valley and San Juan Capistrano and they're still the San Diego Chargers IMO...

8. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    San Diego and Mission Valley ftw.

9. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Stop being such a pessimist!

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  11. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I don't remember reading anything about taxpayer money being part of the Anaheim deal. Did I miss something?

That is a tragedy. I think Orange County was the last best hope for keeping the team in SoCal.

12. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Agree.

I still think it's going to get built at the Qualcomm site. :yes:

13. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    We need to run Aguirre out of town.

That leaves Donna Frey to deal with, I nominate you for a little hard duty. Time to take one for the team.

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    SUN CITY CHARGERS

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm not trying to be pessimistic. My point is that if something isn't done in Chula Vista, a lot of other places that would have courted an NFL team may not be in a position to do so. This is a huge project and right now the people who front these kind of bucks are in deep doo doo. So are the state, county and local governments that invested funds with them. Stadiums aren't going to be just public or private enterprises and the public and private ends of such partnerships are both going to be in tight straights. Interest rates on all kinds of credit are climbing, cars et al. I'm getting suspicious that the Chargers are going to have to bide their time in Mission Valley if they don't get something done in Chula Vista. LA is out. The Vegas housing market is crashing big time and they are running out of water. There aren't too many places for them but here for a while-unless someone out there knows a bit city flush with money.

16. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Me too. It should be complete some time after we all die with all the lawsuits that are sure to follow it's approval.

17. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Qualcomm or Chula Vista - no other site !

18. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    lol

There is that empty field off Encanto behind the motel... think a stadium will fit? :lol:

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    SURE!

20. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I'm not onboard that the "economy" is so out of sorts. There is a lot of political spin out there regarding this subject and you don't know who to believe .. Because the housing market is going through a correction doesn't mean that the bubble is going to burst. We'll see what happens and I'm going to try and continue to be optimistic.