1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Lots of POSITIVES today...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I'm not going to spend much time talking about the anxiety of watching the Eagles play catch up a little bit....Bottom line is we got it done...and it was a team effort.

-LT still has it. This game should have reaffirmed this for any of the doubters. He doesn't need to be a superstar anymore..but if you give him holes...he'll do damage....Also, it didn't hurt that this was one of the first games in a while that a team said "we're not going to let the Chargers' WR's beat us"....If teams lay off the 8 men in the box....we can still gash you for running plays. Welcome back running attack...Hopefully his injury isn't serious. He is still a weapon for us....especially when he gets going.

-Props to Norv for the playcalling early in the game....I unload on Turner a lot....so it's only fair that I give him credit...Most of all that he hasn't just ABANDONED the run game....as it has been suggested by people who post here that we should....He did what some of us have been screaming for....add some more creativity other than run it up the gut....I'll gladly take this kind of production in the running game....When we get something out of our rushing attack...it makes PR even more lethal in the clutch when he doesn't have to carry the weight of the offense the entire game. Well done on the playcalling.

-Red Zone defense was amazing...we gave up a lot of passing yards...so what? I'll state again...It is among the single most overrated statistics in sports....When they shorten the field, if you can keep it out of the end zone, you win. Great job...We should have had a couple of INTs at the end, but I'll gladly take this performance.

-Defense looked like a cohesive unit...I loved it...The Eagles were making quick reads with McNabb firing the ball out.....so you can't expect a huge pass rush...but we were making TACKLES!...you can't underestimate what limiting the YAC stat can do to the end result....I saw lots of communication out there and a very serious approach.

-PR was clutch once again...great job.

-Great team win! Fired up for next week already!

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    good post thanks! I wish I could have seen the game.

3. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    One of my pregame keys was to keep the mental errors and penalties to a minimum. They did that, I do forgive Nanees penalty after his first career TD. :abq1::abq2:

And about LT being injured, even though he limped off, he did come back and play in the last drive. I think he will be fine and hope to see him running even better in Denver next week.

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Lots of positives today indeed. The Eagles are a good team, and they really needed this one after losing to the Cowpokes last week. If Cooper had managed to hold onto the INT in the end zone when it was 28-9, the final score would have been alot prettier, but we showed alot today. Rivers was very efficient. LT was solid, and the O-line had a good game. Defensively, we gave up alot of yards, but managed to stiffen when it counted. A 2nd straight win over a quality opponent. That's all that matters. Bring on the Donks.

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I agree except for our red zone defense.

Philly sucked more than we shined.

But I'll take it!!!

:tup:

6. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Eagles run game was NON-EXISTANT today....29 yards rushing for the entire team...That's why they "sucked" in the red zone. Props to the D for completely eliminating Brian Westbrook et al from Philly's offense.

7. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    BTW, we aren't going to lose a lot of games when Philip's passer rating is 131.8......When we get some sort of balance on offense, he can just lay back and throw darts when he needs to.

8. BoltWash

BoltWash BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    No turnovers always makes me happy!

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I think the folks on the Eagle's board would disagree

Truer words were never spoken!!

:tup:

10. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Another positive, Nate kicked a pressure FG today. :yes:

11. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Legedu and Tolbert contributed today, and they can both be excellent extra weapons when teams try and take VJ, Gates and LT away.

For me THE most positive vibe was #21...LT showed his tank ain't empty.

12. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    AWESOME win! I was cheering the whole game, we played some pretty good defense (although that little rout in the 4th gave me a lil scare) and we didnt turn it over. We have a lot of weapons on this team, more than I realized. VJax had one catch yet Rivers still had 2 TDs and LT!!! LT!!!! LT!!!!! Holy ****, that drive where he scored on 20 yards was awesome, he looked the way I remember him. 10 yards here, 9 yards there, then BAM!!! Great win, props to the Foreskins for handling Denver, now it's time to make them our B!TCH!!!

13. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Just need to tell Ron Rivera to not go into a prevent in the 3rd. quarter. :yes:

14. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Yeah, I wanted to see us punch Philly in the mouth all day.

15. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    He's aggressive and we like him for that but when the pass rush isn't getting it done, he is still a student of the prevent defense mindset. Thankfully, we bend and bend a lot, but we haven't been breaking. The Eagles picked up on the scheme there in the last quarter and made it count in the end zone though. Sometimes, you just get out-foxed, especially if you're playing with that many back-ups late in the game.

16. GM_085120

GM_085120 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Very well said...what a day.
    I think the offense did a great job of converting when they needed to and having the confidence to run the ball against a stingy run defense. Rivers continues to impress me; icewater runs through his veins when the rest of us are ready to throw objects at the TV in our (or just my own) frustrated pessimism. There are few QBs in the league that can do what he does in tenuous situations and we are fortunate to have him. As I see it, as long as he's on this team they will be contenders.

On the Defensive side, this scheme was not for the weary. This 'keep-it-all-in-front-of-us' tactic lets the other team chew up the yardage in scary fashion. Although the D held up today when it needed to, inside the redzone, taking those chances can burn you in the long run specially in the playoffs when the truly good teams won't be kicking many FGs inside the 10.

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Positives
    1) First real establishment of the running game
    2) Taking away of the Philly Running Game
    3) Not falling for the trick plays Philly tried to run
    4) Contribution by guys (3rd WR, TE, RB) when we knew their top two guys would be covered.
    5) Norv Turner (with the exception of some very obvious occurrences) outcoached Andy Reid

18. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    welcome to the board. good 1st post:tup: