1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Lottery system in the NFL?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thomas, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Thomas

Thomas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Do you guys think it would be a good idea to have a lottery system like the NBA to chose draft order. I know the NFL has done things like back loading the schedule with divisional games to try to keep the competitive balance going throughout the season, but it never fails every year the discussion comes up if so and so team loses this game their a lock for #1. Maybe a 4 team lottery would fix this?

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Absolutely in favor of this.

The thing is the NBA draft nearly always falls as projected, and you never get to see the balls come out of the machine...suspicious.

3. Las Vegas Charger fan

Las Vegas Charger fan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +35
    Yes, lottery for 1st pick then rest according to record. So Colts would've had 2nd pick. I wonder what would've happened if the Giants got that first pick?

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Thats not exactly how it works, only the first 15 are in the lottery, and if you're not in the top 3 you have almost ZERO chance to get the 1st overall pick. Unless your the Blazers and Greg Oden is in the draft.

5. Las Vegas Charger fan

Ratings:
    +35
    Change it!! Everyone equal in the lottery!! Even if you have the worst record (Colts) you should still be in the lottery. If you end up with a 1st and 2nd then so be it! Haha I just love what that would do to mock drafts.

6. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I like it the way it is as it allows the worst team to make the biggest turnaround. Also, there's a huge difference between the NBA and the NFL in terms of number of games played. More or less, if it's week 13, and you don't have at least 4 wins, your season is over. However, that only impacts a total of 4 games in the season where a team is definitely out. In the NBA, that would be 20 games instead of 4, which is why they have a lottery. Having people show up to 20 games worth of bad basketball isn't good for the league.

7. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Comparing an NFL lottery-style draft against the NBA isn't really necessary.

Focusing on just the NFL, I would like something like this:
    1.Only teams that did NOT make the playoffs the previous year, are in the draft.
    The playoff teams draft as before, in order of how they ended the season.
    2. The 20 teams that did not make the playoffs are obviously now, in the lottery.
    3. Worst records (1-5) get 4 ping pong balls (with team logos of course).
    4. (6-10) get 3 ping pong balls.
    5. (11-15) get 2 "
    6. (16-20) get 1 "

This eliminates teams trying to "Suck for Luck", etc., even though teams claim
    that they would never intentionally lose a game for the 1st overall pick (yeah right).

It's not perfect but hey, I just came up with it in the last 5 minutes.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Nope.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    The point of a lottery is to keep teams playing competitively, even after they've been eliminated from the post season, since no HC would ever throw an entire season.

Indy was eliminated from playoff contention after week 7, but we only know this because we know how many total games were required to get into the playoffs. After week 8, the 0-8 Colts went 2-6, beating the Titans and Texans, and costing the Titans a playoff berth.

The Vikings went 2-6 to open last season, finishing 1-7. Their week 16 victory cost them the #1 overall pick.

The Rams went 1-7, then finished 1-7. There's literally no need to institute a lottery to keep teams from throwing games, because the coaches have no incentive to do so, and the players have no incentive to do so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    That's about all that needs to be said.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Las Vegas Charger fan

Ratings:
    +35
    The draft, I think is not about the current players but more about the fans. It's about having hope (selling hope) to the fans in the way of a draft. I live in Vegas, the draft, lottery, are all selling hope to the fans. It's a gamble. The lottery will add to this excitement. I don't think HC will throw games but certain players may "let up on the gas" knowing they may get a better opportunity in the draft.
    It will be interesting to see if "suck for luck" will pay off. I also am not convinced a number 1 draft pick is really excited about going to the last place team, it's bitter sweet.

12. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I say no. It would just lead to assumptions of fixing the lotto and beating Jim Rome's wife.

13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    and to make it fun have the lottery a couple of hours before the actual draft :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Screw that. We finally have it set up so that the team picking #1 isn't scared to take the best pick in the draft due to the pending contract and now you want to take away the consolation of being the worst team in the league?

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Because the lottery is so much fairer - i mean a team with the fewest losses in NBA history doesn't get the first pick, instead a team the NBA is trying to get sold gets it. Yeah that is so much fairer

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    That's another problem with the lottery system.

I'm not going to be a conspiracy nut and say the NBA is rigging it, but it sets you up for that perception amongst the fans.

17. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Players don't get a better opportunity in the draft. In fact, if a really good player comes onto the team, it means that people are losing their jobs. Curtis Painter wasn't trying to suck for Luck, he was trying (and admittedly failing) to win. There is literally no advantage whatsoever for players to "let up on the gas", as giving up when things go poorly can negatively impact their earning potential.

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am 100% against that. It leads to questions about if the draft is rigged like it is this with this years NBA draft, and won't results in teams not tanking in the end, since the worst you do the better odds you still have of having your ball pulled. So teams will not tank the end of the season knowing they will get the #1 pick, but will do it knowing they will increase their odds of getting the #1 pick. And will likely result in more teams tanking since they will still have a chance, and could still get that pick even without the worst record.

I say keep it the way it is. The NFL draft is AWESOME, and I don't think they need to change anything other than moving it back to the weekend, so people can have draft parties like "the good ol' days"

• Agree Agree x 1