1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

LT and Chargers reach agreement...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'd say getting Rivers locked in should be our biggest priority.
    Do it while he doesn't have a ring!!

2. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    hallelujah!!!!!!! i'm sportin my LT jersey with a big *** smile tomorrow!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Yep. Every single one of our draft picks should be OLine or Dline. I have drank your fat boy coolaid. No doubt all our issues on D and in the running game are due to the deteriorating line play.

Bagging LT is clutch though as he has at least one or two amazing year still ahead of him if someone can throw some blocks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Finally-now lets concentrate on other things:)

Very glad LT got signed though:D

5. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    Finally! Great news nonetheless! Now time to concentrate on other aspects of the offseason.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +297
    Like others have said, we need da beef now to throw him some blocks.

I see what you did there...

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    I was glad to wake and find this great news!!!!!! Excellent team effort in getting this deal done, by ALL parties involved.:tup:

8. clontarf_bolt

clontarf_bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Been waking up every morning and waiting to see this announcement! Great to LT back for next three years, go Bolts! :bolt:

9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    Phewwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Was that the longest drawn out saga or what!?...... I got optimistic about 3/4 days ago so I'm glad. I hope LT can have a productive relatively injury free couple of years now.

Wonder what Moreno is thinking this morning?. He ain't gonna play in the sun now.

And Burnett too. Must have been the email I sent him yesterday!.

:tup:

10. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    You have a link to back that up? :icon_rofl:

11. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Word!:icon_toast:

12. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    L.T., CHARGERS DO A DEAL
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 10, 2009, 10:47 p.m.
    Less than a week ago, the Chargers’ offer to running back LaDainian Tomlinson was characterized by his mother as “crumbs.”

Apparently, the team has opted to add some crackers to those crumbs.

According to Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports, Tomlinson and the Chargers have worked out a deal that allows the 2006 NFL MVP to earn every dollar he was due to receive in 2009 — all $6.725 million of them.

The Chargers receive some cap relief, since some of that money will be converted to a signing bonus.

Tomlinson agreed to reduce his base salaries in 2010 and 2011, but he will be able to earn the money back via incentives.

Agent Tom Condon also secured a roster bonus due in March 2010, which will force the Chargers to make an early decision next year as to whether to keep L.T. for another season. (This year, he wasn’t owed a dime until the eve of the regular-season opener, since his full compensation is in the form of base salary.)

In our view, the most important term is $6.725 million. Because it’s more than $6.6 million, the salary that running back Darren Sproles will earn under the franchise tag in 2009.

There’s no way that L.T. was going to agree to take less money than a part-time player who isn’t and never will be an every-down back.

So now the challenge becomes to find a way to use L.T. and Sproles in a manner that keeps Tomlinson’s mom from complaining that the number of touches he’s getting are “crumbs.”

UPDATE: The Chargers have announced the deal. Said team president Dean Spanos: “This is a good day for the Chargers and for Chargers fans. It was important to me to get this done so L.T. could continue his career here in San Diego where he means so much to our team, our fans and our community. The alternative was just unthinkable. He belongs in San Diego.” (We find it significant that Spanos said “continue” and not “finish”; it’s still very possible that next year at this time Tomlinson will be gone.)
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

I still say we draft a RB this year.

13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    U think?.......

At #16 or later on?. I guess it depends who is there at 16. If any of the below are there no way we go RB;

Cushing, Brian
    Jackson, Tyson
    Jenkins, Malcolm (God forbid, another DB!!)
    Ray Maualuga
    BJ Raji

14. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Later on if there is someone left. I would love to get Shonne Greene as a bulldozer.

15. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Good point. And that's Dean's job! AJ is responsible for putting together a winning team and making the players salaries and bonuses work. Dean is responsible for the organization as a whole. That includes the face of the organization and how fans feel about the organization. That’s good leadership.

16. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I forgive you.

• Like Like x 1
  17. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  18. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976

I guess going through the whole Rodney and JR release years ago, I have become a little bitter towards player/management decisions.

19. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +911
    Didn't see any of this last night, and I wake up to this great news! :tup:

I just hope that he gets his injury rehabbed this off season. He elected not to have surgery, I hope it works out the way he thinks it will.

20. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Is there any point in time where Trotter has not been a complete ********?

He is becoming the TJ Simers mini-me.

21. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Yes but looking back on it do you think it was the right move?

22. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +911
    He always comes across to me as though the org wronged him at some point and he takes every opportunity to make his digs.

23. Eat My Boltage

Eat My Boltage Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41
    I think it was the right choice and the only smart one that could be made. I am tired of seeing us letting go of great talent in San Diego wether it be the Padres or the chargers.:bolt::icon_toast:

24. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Great news. Win Win for everyone. I think Sproles signs next, with a long term for something less than 4mil. :tup:

oh, and Trotter is a big ***-hat tea bagger

:icon_evil:

oh and PS

Ms. LT's Mom..... STFU!!!! :icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

25. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    more from Clayton...

LT helps on field, off field with cap relief

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3969143

In many ways, LaDainian Tomlinson's contract never had to be touched this season, but Tuesday night's restructuring of his three-year deal means that the running back should be able to finish up a Hall of Fame-caliber career in San Diego if he wishes.

Tomlinson wished to stay a Charger, which is why the two sides worked out a deal.

Tomlinson was scheduled to make $6.725 million this season. That's a fair number for a back who rushed for 1,110 yards and scored 10 touchdowns last season. It's particularly fair in the sense that his backup, franchise player Darren Sproles, is scheduled to make $6.621 million on a one-year deal. Starters should make more than backups, and there never was a thought by anyone in the organization to pay Sproles more than Tomlinson.

The crux of the problem was the final two years of Tomlinson's contract, the $17.275 million owed to him for 2010 and 2011 combined. The amount might have been a problem for the team because Tomlinson will be 30 this year and, although no back likes to admit such things, LT isn't young anymore. He has rushed for 11,760 yards and scored 126 rushing touchdowns. Even Hall of Famers -- and I believe he will be a first-ballot enshrinee -- eventually do slow down.

The twist in this story was that it was the team that was more worried about the next two seasons rather than the player. That's completely different from the usual perspective of running backs who are getting older. Unfortunately for backs, their careers tend to be shorter than those of players at other positions. Once a back reaches 29 or 30, he is targeted for replacement. For fear of being cut, older backs try to demand guarantees in future years.

That wasn't the case with Tomlinson. The team wanted to figure out its future budgets, so it wanted him to reduce his salaries for 2010 and 2011. No one likes to take a pay cut, but Tomlinson accepted the idea and tried to work with the team. The team came out ahead because it didn't rush a tricky negotiation that at times was filled with emotions and some tension.

The future reductions were important for San Diego in trying to lock up Chargers whose contracts are coming up in the next couple of years.

"LT has helped us through the years on the field, now he's helped us off the field," Chargers general manager A.J. Smith said.

LaDainian Tomlinson plays despite a groin injury and scores a TD in a 23-17 win vs. the Colts.
    Both sides worked together professionally. There were no deadlines. There were no "final" proposals. There were no threats of his being traded. It was a matter of working out a deal or parting ways.

Compromise is the key to any negotiation. Tomlinson is the highest-paid running back on the team. That's fair. Tomlinson gave the team some salary-cap room, which was needed because his old cap number would have eaten up $14.4 million of the cap. Something needed to be done.

Sure, Tomlinson could have been cut and ended up on the New Orleans Saints' roster, but it wouldn't be the same. It's like watching Emmitt Smith in a Cardinals uniform, Franco Harris in a Seahawks uniform or Eddie George in a Cowboys uniform. Tomlinson was born to be a Charger. Now, LT can stay in San Diego on more acceptable terms.

26. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I'm starting to lean the way of CoronaDoug... drafting our future franchise RB at #16 (or later in the 1st).

Sproles signs the franchise offer and stays for 1yr

Hester will be FB

Bennett and the new rookie will battle for 3rd RB slot

...and LTs status is determined immediately following the post-season - (ie, he stays if he plays)

27. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

Bennett may very well our Michael Turner this year

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

28. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,643
    Bennett is no Michael Turner
    means we could grab one of the lower level running backs (PJ Hill, Glenn Coffee) and see if they turn into a Turner. Both have his style without as much speed.

Oh and Trotter is trying to stir stuff again, he's worse then Acee.

And can AJ get SOME LOVE from all you haters who wanted to rip him to pieces for 'possibly letting LT go'?

29. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Bennett is older than LT (almost 31). I don't see him sticking around if we draft a back.

30. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I wish we had a second round pick this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.