1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

LT and Rivers fighting at the side line...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Sep 26, 2007.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I don't know if this topic was discussed. I saw it brought up in a few posts but not really discussed.

Anyway...
    Reporters said stuff like "it's all good, no reason for concern".

I say "BULLSH**!!!!"
    Especially when Gates had to break them up.
    That is a sure sign on poor coaching and no discipline!
    Later on, we saw Rivers and LT shake hands at the side lines.
    Well that's great but what's going to happen when another miscommunication happens between the two of them on the field?

I just hope we don't see any finger pointing as the season continues!!
    That's a sure end of your season. Just ask Dennis Green!!

That's my .02!

• Like Like x 1
  2. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I never saw this when Marty was coaching. (I know, I know we're not going to rehire him, and I don't expect them to) but really even during the bad seasons we had with him, none of this happened. I think this reflects on the head coach. We all know that Norv isn't much of a leader. He's a good qb/offensive coach but he's not a leader and it is showing.

I trully hope that Norv nuts up and gets this team going in the right direction. I'm really rooting for him to prove all of us wrong. I need to see the team come out on Sunday and just want to rip the heads off the chiefs. I want to see good execution on both sides of the ball. But most of all I want to see a good strategy on Sunday. I want this team to be able to exploit the Chiefs (and the rest of the teams from here on out) the way teams have exploited us so far.

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Yup. AJ didn't want a leader. He wanted a "yes man."

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Teammates fight all the time...
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RKAr1vwYJTA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RKAr1vwYJTA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    No big deal. :icon_shrug:

5. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194
    I saw the fight on nfl.com about the game.
    Philip threw an incomplete pass wide left to Gates on a 3rd and 3
    while LT was just 3 yards right from Rivers free and overseen.

When things don't get right, player should talk and even shout to each other to get the bad things out. Later they can calm down
    and try to fix the problem.

6. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +911
    Yeah, T.O. and McNabb got into on the sidelines, so Andy Reid is is a bad coach. And Vince Young got into it with a guy at training camp, so Jeff Fisher is a bad coach. And Carlos Zambrano got into it with Michael Barrett, so Lou Pinella is a bad manager. And guys on all kinds of teams get into it with each other, so all of those coaches suck.

You really are just grasping at straws to find any little thing you can blame on Norv to perpetuate your whole Norv Sucks Dead Horse Beating Society.

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    And where did the TO/McNabb feud lead to?
    After losing the Super Bowl, it set them back a year.
    Andy Reid is a good coach but he made a very poor decision. He let TO push him around.
    BUT, now that TO is gone, the team seems to be back in order.
    INVALID COMPARISON!!!

As you said "Vince Young got into it with a guy at training camp."
    At training camp!!! Not during a game.
    INVALID COMPARISON!!!

As for Pinella... Don't know, I don't follow baseball. That's a different sport.
    INVALID COMPARISON!!!

Another thing...
    Both Andy Reid and Jeff Fisher have winning records and have got their teams to the Super Bowl. Norv has neither!!!
    INVALID COMPARISON!!!

8. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +911
    Nice try, but your assertion was that fighting teammates=bad coaching. You can start bringing in a bunch of other **** after the fact to try to make your lame argument look better, but anyone who follows sports at all knows that **** like that has happened many times over the years in every sport.

Athletes are grown men, and sometimes they have disagreements. I'm sure it has way more to do with frustration than anything else. Norv may or may not suck, but trying to use this as another plank in your Norv Sucks platform is ridiculous, and most people realize that, just not you.

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Dear Clueless,

A certain poster brought up some great points for this discussion. I suggest you read.
    And don't start comparing this to baseball!!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    What's the difference between baseball teammates arguing and football teammates arguing? :icon_shrug:

11. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    CDE (Competitive Desire Exchange?) per Philip. It's a really good interview. :tup:

Click on the interview half way down.

http://www.xxsportsradio.com/

Philip Rivers joined Scott and BR to say that losing in the fashion they have may be the wake up call the team needs and downplayed the incident with LaDainian Tomlinson. Listen here.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,642
    at least this team on hte whole seems to be waking out of the daze they've been in

you know what it kinda reminds me of? The 'daze' a super bowl champ is supposed to be in. The feeling after reaching the pinacle of success that you truly are the best and you can just run through people without a second thought.

Ironically we get that hangover without being in a super bowl

13. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Ant... that's a great fuc'ing point, man. We look like the 2006 Steelers!

Edit: OK, that sucks...

14. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    LT should have said something.

Rivers needs to scan the field better, as he's locking on to his primary receiver too often, and not seeing other guys open. On that particular play the replay showed the Packers had four guys rushing, and six guys from the middle of the field and over to the left near Gates.

That means there was only one defender on the side of the field where LT was open in the flat. The TV didn't show where he was, but he wasn't between LT and the first down yard sticks.

The "fight" itself is just emotion, adrenalin, testosterone and pride. It's nothing IMO. Just two guys competing who want the most from the other in order to win football games.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Chemistry is not as vital in baseball as it is in football.

Besides, it's a different sport so no use discussing it.

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Yes, I saw that it could have been a good play had he thrown to LT and LT should have said something but the fight was frustration!!!

Emotion, adrenalin, testosterone, what ever you want to call it... I still don't believe it's nothing!!!
    Why else did Gates need to break them up?!!!!

17. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    There were no fists - no punches thrown. It wasn't like they were getting ready to come to blows. Mountains and molehills.

18. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Actually, I think Rivers accidently stepped on LT's fingers and didn't know it and LT just got mad. :icon_eek:

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    GOOD TO SEE YOU BACK, CL!!!! :tup: :flag:

20. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Did any of you guys hear Philip Rivers on 1090 on yesterday morning?

It was no big deal, two competitors reacting in the moment. Philip says that he and Gates go at it all the time. Gates will say “Dude, get the ball out there!”. Philip will say “I’m TRYING to!”.

IMO, a big part of it is, Rivers is firmly established now, so LT feels comfortable being hanest in the heat of battle. Last year, LT probably went out of his way to keep Philip’s confidence up.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    As I said "I just hope we don't see any finger pointing as the season continues." More heated arguments COULD lead to that!!!
    Keep piling on a molehill, it could create a mountain.

22. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    It's funny that people are all up in arms because Norv doesn't show any emotion, but when two of our stars show that emotion - challenging each other to be better - some people want to make it out to be a problem.

I want to see some fire and desire out of our players. I want them to challenge each other to be better. They need to be better .....

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

That is what the coach is for!!!

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763

You are absolutely right, how many times have you seen a great QB and a WR go at it after a failed play?, I've seen it on many occasions.
    It's very important to call each other out, this can only make Rivers more aware of what needs to be done. It also lays responsibility on LT to make a play when PR goes to him in that situation in the future.

As far as B4L goes, he's more full of **** than a Port-A-Potty in a diarrhea ward.:bolt:

25. twilight15

twilight15 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    :bolt: !Exactly! :bolt:

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Yes, QB's and WR's have had exchanges but they can't get too heated (especially to the point where another team mate has to jump in and divide the two). SL mentioned TO and McNabb... well we all know where that went!
    Regardless, my biggest point is that you don't want it to escalate!! If this leads to finger pointing, we're done!!! Just look at the Dolphins (at Shula's last season), Vikings (at Green's last season) and Falcons (at June's last season).

Fact is, that heated argument showed that there is absolutely NO leadership on our coach's part!!! Stay in denial if that makes you feel better but like LT said "I'm lost."
    LT has also expressed concern about a possible downward spiral. Why do you think that is, Einstein?!!!!!!

27. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Word. I have seen nastier confrontations in faculty department meetings among supposedly mature intellectuals while they are sipping tea. It gets even worse when they're at the booze around one another. Boys will be boys, especially when they want the rock and know that they can finally do something with it besides run into a wall. What's a little constructive criticism among team mates? It gets more intense than this in a Philly sandwich line, when the debate is over cheez whiz or provolone.

28. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    How convenient some overlook this part as if it were nothing. You nailed it.

Challenging each other is one thing but for a teammate to intercede means one or both were way out of line. That **** does not bring teams together, it rips them apart.

Merriman gets in an expletive laced tirade against Cottrell and it is played off as sportsmanship (sound familiar?).

That is a crock of ****. No fuc-king player should be disrespecting a coach (this is not the Raiders).

Remember, you can lead a horse to water but you can not make it drink.

29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763

Well coach, which team do you or did you coach in the NFL?, like I said you are more full of **** than a Port-A-Potty in a diarrhea ward. Either that or you just like talking out your ***. Hell, you might just be in the wrong business, maybe you and Trumpie should be knocking down AJ's door so you both can turn this team into a dynasty.:bolt:

30. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +322
    What are you referring to here trumpie? :icon_huh: