1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LT: Chargers passed on run

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

LT: Chargers passed on run

Associated Press
    April 1, 2010

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- LaDainian Tomlinson says you shouldn't believe everything you see on film when it comes to his last few seasons in San Diego.

The New York Jets' newest running back said Thursday after a team workout that several factors led to his decreased production with the Chargers.

"The things that happened in San Diego, everything was taken away from me," Tomlinson said. "There wasn't an emphasis on running the football anymore, my best fullback was gone, the linemen were pass blocking and it was a passing quarterback and a passing coach. So, the situation's kind of misleading when you look on film."

Tomlinson, who signed a two-year deal worth about $5.2 million with the Jets last month, has a point about San Diego's offensive focus. He was no longer the center of the Chargers' attack the last few seasons. Instead, coach Norv Turner increasingly allowed Philip Rivers to throw the ball down the field.

The eighth-leading rusher in NFL history was cut in February after nine seasons in San Diego and a career-low 730 yards rushing and 3.3 yards per carry. There was speculation after the 2008 season that the Chargers might try to trade or even release him, and Tomlinson said he was unhappy with the team after last season.

"To be honest with you, I felt like last year was going to be my last year in San Diego," he said. "After the problems we had the previous year with the organization, I knew it was time to leave. The transition wasn't as hard because I kind of prepared myself for it and I was ready to kind of move on to something else."

Tomlinson turns 31 in June, but insists he hasn't lost a step and can still make defensive players miss. He's also motivated by those who say he's washed up -- the 30-and-done running back rule -- and is no longer a dangerous player.

"It really doesn't bother me as much because I accept everything as a challenge and that's fine with me," he said. "I can stick that on my wall and look at it everyday and it can motivate me to go out and work hard. At this stage of my career, I've got to outwork everybody else and prove that I can still play."

That's a big reason he's participating in voluntary workouts this offseason.

"I think the most important thing is getting here and working out, having guys see how I work," Tomlinson said. "You build a chemistry through the offseason by lifting weights and running. Guys see how you work and judge it from there."

With the Jets, Tomlinson is expected to be a complement to Shonn Greene, who was promising during his rookie season. Tomlinson thinks they can help each other stay fresh by sharing carries.

"Shonn and I work well together," said Tomlinson, whose locker is next to Greene's. "Hopefully we're like Jordan and Pippen."

Tomlinson chose the Jets over the Minnesota Vikings because of his familiarity with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's system and the chance to win a championship. He also relishes the opportunity to play in the AFC East, particularly against the Patriots.

"It's going to be fun," he said. "The Patriots have always been one of them teams that, it's hard for me to swallow that pill of losing to them, so it's going to fun to play them twice a year. And, it's going to be one of my main goals to beat them twice."

The dining options have also made for a smooth adjustment from Southern California to New York.

"Well, I never was a sushi guy," he said, laughing. "I love Italian food and pizza, obviously, so it's been great. With my wife being pregnant, she loves that type of food, so all the better."

Notes

New CB Antonio Cromartie said his paternity issues are taken care of, but added that the Jets' decision to advance him $500,000 of his $1.7 million contract to help wasn't because he asked. "There was no request made at all," said Cromartie, who has fathered seven children in five states with six women. "The Jets wanted me to get all my off-the-field issues settled. It's done. That was the biggest thing for me."

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    boo hoo LT.

way to stay classy

:tdown:

3. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Tomlinson needs to focus on the future

By Bill Williamson
    ESPN
    3-1-2010

LaDainian Tomlinson has moved on after being cut from the San Diego Chargers in February.

Or has he?

It seems the New York Jets’ newest running back can’t get over his final days in San Diego.

Tomlinson said Thursday that "everything was taken away from me" in San Diego. Tomlinson’s production has declined the past couple of years. In 2009, Tomlinson, 30, had a career low 730 yards and he didn’t have a 100-yard game all season. San Diego had the 31st ranked running offense in 2009. Tomlinson had 24 yards on 12 carries in San Diego’s upset loss to the Jets in the AFC divisional playoffs.

Yet, Tomlinson said the team took the running game away from him. That is only partially true. If he was effective, he would have been given more chances. San Diego, with coach Norv Turner and quarterback Philip Rivers, are a pass-first offense. Turner clearly wanted the run game to come along and help. But it didn’t.

Tomlinson has to take some of the blame. Does he really think the Chargers didn’t want him to be a star last year?

Now that he is gone, Tomlinson should embrace the future and not rehash his failures in San Diego. He had a Hall of Fame career in San Diego. He should look back on it fondly and focus on showing he can still be a solid player for the Jets. Blaming others for his San Diego failures doesn’t help anyone.

4. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Wait wait wait .. who believes this nonsense!? The Jets, out of the goodness of their own hearts decided to front him 500k for his legal woes.. Puhhhhleez!

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    If there was ever a classy way to act like T.O, this is it. He's basically saying...."I want the ball, I want my money, I want to be the man, or I want to leave."

I'm actually losing some respect for LT. Which is something I never thought I'd say.

6. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    dancing in the streets of NY when he gets his 400 yards and 5 tds

:abq2::abq1::abq2::abq1:

7. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    And what part of this convo is UN-classy?:icon_shrug:
    It's true. This team did give up on him and the run. Turner slammed him up the middle time and time again as if just to keep the other team honest. That said, we are a successful passing team. He has always said that Lorenzo was a big part of his success. So he's talking about the Pizza in New York and stuff? Guess what, the food is better in the Big Apple! It's F'n New York people. Fish tacos and Carne asada burritos are great but not even in the ball park of that city. San Diego is my home town and I will always love it but New York is on a whole nother level. Sounds like to me he is moving on and getting excited for his new team that is very happy to have him. So again, whats the problem?:icon_huh:

8. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

:lol:

really?

LT was given the ball 200+ times in 2009. NOT INCLUDING THE PLAYOFFS!!

I don't give one damn crap about Norv and his scheme.

200 times LT.

:tdown:

edit: sorry - 220 times

• Like Like x 1
  9. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Nothing LT said is really that inaccurate in relation to the change in scheme / personnel affecting his stats. I think he took a lot of abuse (and unfairly so) for the supposed huge decline in his play, so I don't really blame him for telling it like it is.....and I do believe he is going to look a LOT different running in that Jets system behind that line. The Jets fans who are still crying about Thomas Jones won't be doing it for very long. I'm going to hate seeing LT wearing a Jets uniform and playing for that douchebag organization....but I have to admit that I will have some satisfaction watching him prove critics and some fairweather Chargers "fans" wrong. If he stays healthy, I won't be surprised at all if he ends up leapfrogging Shonn Greene as the Jets #1 by the end of the year.

That being said, at the end of the day, our offense still functioned very well with a limited dedication to the running game and we are now a completely different team. One thing that will help our next RB, is that we have at least cleared up our identity and have a little more consistency with our transitioning line and blocking. It will help that Vasquez is now in his second year and the line is hopefully healthier than it has been in 3 years. I think they will work on trying to improve the running game....but we will go about it differently, and that is hard for a guy like LT to accept as he has seen it work to near perfection in a different style of offense (ie, where he is now going).

10. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I love L.T. and all but just keepin' it real, you had your chances, and I for one watched you stumble at the line of scrimmage or fail to hit a hole with L.T. calibur explosiveness all season. 220 plus carries isn't exactly abandoning the run.

11. SDKCFAN

SDKCFAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Or you will be crying in your beer when LT shows everyone in SD that he was not washed up with over 1000 or more yards next year.

12. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :tup::tup::tup:

I don't give one damn crap about LT or the Jets.

I want a SB win for my Home Town.

The only beer crying will be if we miss that

13. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Let's see, we gave him the ball for how many years and for all those carries we gave him how many superbowls did we go to? Did he expect us to continue our ways of failure? Not saying we lost in the end because of him but seeing that in his eyes he "was" the offense, well, what can I say? So I guess that all that talk about being a team player was just that.....talk. If he was truly a teamm player then those sacrifices shouldn't have bothered him. I hope the Jets take this as a warning, he says he is willing to take a back seat roll and not be the main player but in that article it sure sounds like it does bother him. I am curious to see if the Jets don't have that winning attitude that many expect and he isn't getting the ball as much as he would like, how he reacts.

14. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    I have one reply to LT's statement: What a bunch of Garbage.
    Sour grapes sounds like to me.

15. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    I wish Tomlinson would just shut his yapper. He is gone and he has moved on he now needs to STFU about his not getting the ball in SD.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I'm sure this is the OLine/Norv/Rivers/Playcalling fault too, huh Mr. Classy?

[​IMG]

17. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    LT talks too much. It really shows how insecure he is at the twilight of his career.

18. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    HOLY CRAP!!!! LT just figured out what was wrong these past few years.....our lineman were pass blocking when they were suppose to be run blocking. :icon_eek:
    So now he is throwing the lineman under the bus that they were no good at run blocking for him. Once again....truly classy!

19. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Would you ever just STFU LT?. :icon_evil:

If you're still all that, go play, go run, go score TDs, it's put up time.

I'm tired of the whinging, your legacy in SD will only suffer the more you ***** and moan. :tdown:

STFU please.

20. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Either or. Black white. Good bad. Blah blah blah. I'm sure the truth doesn't sit somewhere between the two sides being whined about in this thread.

Did Norv b0rk the run? Yes. Has LT lost a step? Yes. Did the OLine struggle with run blocking? Yes. Did LT stumble when he had opportunities? Yes.

But America likes to vote with its hearts especially when there's a villian they can vote against. So everyone stand up for their two minutes of hate! Shake your fist! Grit your teeth! Ah... now, doesn't that feel good?

21. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I second this.:tup:

Charger fan first.

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I personally think LT was 100% correct, but I also think he should have kept his mouth shut. Not point in bashing the Org on your way out the door

23. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Agreed! Especially when it was rather considerate for the Bolts to let him walk and then have the pick of the litter on where he wants to play. The Bolts could have traded his *** and gotten something for him. So that is the thanks they get for trying to be nice.

24. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    It's sad but we gotta get used to it... between the NY media and Hard Knocks there is going to be a lot of LT/Cro coverage. I'm sure LT will have better numbers in NY than he did in SD last year, I wouldn't be surprised at a 900-1000yd season based soley on the line he's running behind and the additional opportunities he will be given. That said, he didn't make the most of the opportunities he did get in SD in the last few years either and that's on him, not the Chargers.

25. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Whether or not the statement is true is irrelevant.

The fact that he's complaining to the media and citing it (not getting the ball enough) as his reason for leaving the team he's spent his entire career on is what's being complained about.

26. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    The part where he blames everyone and everything else for his lack of production is what I'm railing on him for, as if tripping over his own shoes half the time didn't play into it.

Take some responsibility instead of playing the "WASN'T ME" game.

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    There is no way he was being traded. The Chargers and he knew that no one was going to take on his contract. No team was going to pay him $6 mil next year

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sticks and stones .... :lol:

He's in a different uniform now. Eff him just like the rest of our opponents.

When he sheds his uniform for the last time, I'll consider how he acted & make a personal decision about my feelings for LT. But for right now, he can shove it because he's a JET. :icon_evil:

29. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Of course, never mind the fact that he's pretty much telling the truth. If we're going to rail on him for the couple of times he has actually "tripped over his own feet"...which not coincidentally came on runs where he had to juke several players in his own backfield just to find a rare running lane.....then a lot more of our players need to be held to a higher level of accounability.....Even Rivers who has yet to really step up in the playoffs and lead this team to the promised land himself like other "great" QB's have done with less talent around them.

IMO LT is responding more to the general criticism of the decline of his stats which he is probably asked about every 5 minutes in the NY media circus. I don't blame him one bit for saying what has been true about the change in our scheme. This team and coaching staff really didn't do a hell of a lot to defend his play or the fact that he constantly played through pain the last 3 years when a lot of other backs woudn't.

30. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Straight-talking LT irks Chargers brass

By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER Friday, April 2, 2010 at 2:52 p.m.
    [​IMG] John R. McCutchen / Union-Tribune
    LaDainian Tomlinson departs San Diego as the only Charger to be named the NFL's MVP, winning the award in 2006.

The Chargers maintain their respectful silence regarding the demise and departure of LaDainian Tomlinson.
    But it goes without saying they are not pleased with what he has been saying about why his statistics dropped so precipitously in recent years.

After a handful of indirect shots that began in 2007 about a change in the offense and personnel, Tomlinson has been more straightforward since signing with the New York Jets last month. And comments to the New York media Thursday crossed the line, according to some in the organization.
    “The things that happened in San Diego, everything was taken away from me,” Tomlinson said. “There wasn’t an emphasis on running the football anymore, my best fullback was gone, the linemen were pass blocking and it was a passing quarterback and a passing coach. So, the situation’s kind of misleading when you look on film.”

Tomlinson had his numbers decline in each of the past three seasons under head coach Norv Turner. Last season, behind a patchwork offensive line, he gained 730 yards on 223 carries, both career lows by far.

Only General Manager A.J. Smith was talking for the record Friday, and he did not specifically address Tomlinson’s comments. He said he had heard the quotes, and while he did not sound pleased, he declined to comment.

However, asked about his level of concern given the departure of high-profile starters and the state of the running game, Smith did fire a shot across the bow — presumably of Tomlinson and perhaps others.

“I’m not concerned,” Smith said. “I’m just excited about the upcoming year and looking forward. Having outstanding players throughout your team is vital to winning a championship, no doubt about that. But having the right team and trying to put that team together is the ultimate challenge and it’s a yearly challenge. Because it’s the team that will win a world championship — not a bunch of individuals who happen to be extremely talented and focused on themselves first.

“We are looking to build that ultimate team, and will continue to do so until we get it right.”