1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LT Concerns?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Gridreaper, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...It was good to see him score a couple of times but he lacks any explosiveness when he runs. He has no burst, gets tripped up very easily and just seems like a downgrade from when Sproles is in there. Even those little flare passes to Darren turn into 10, 15 and 20 yarders. LT won't do the same with those passes right now. Why doesn't Norv just step in and state what LT himself stated in the AFC Title game last year. A 100% Sproles is more effective than a 70%-75% LT?
    Who's in charge here? 26 carries on a damaged toe for 67 yards? That's effective????

Rest him by using him as Sproles' back-up until he's healed. Hester or Tolbert can get what LT's getting. Norv probably should sit LT altogether until he's 100%. Let's face it, Hochuli or no Hochuli, if Norv had used Sproles instead of LT and his, 10 Carries/26 YDS, the Bolts would have won. This all stems back to that AFC Title game, LT is still trying to get his respect back by playing.

• Like Like x 2
  2. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    Washed up! thats his problem! Viva los Sproles!

3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I think part of it is he's still a little beat-up -- but he needs to play in games, esp if he's not going to practice in favor of treatment/rest -- I have faith that LT will continue to improve as the season progresses, which is fine by me. Our offense doesn't need LT to win right now, it's not all on his shoulders. So he can ramp up and by the time he hits his stride we'll be heading into the end of the regular season perfectly poised for a play-off run. At least, that's how I like to see it :D

4. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    LT hasn't been 100% since last year during the Titans playoff game. But for the first time in LT's career, we don't need him to carry the full work load, to win.

He's still on pace to get 10 rushing TD'S, and over 1,000 yards, and that is fine with me, because we are MORE BALANCED as a TEAM than ever before.

Mountain Dew, I mean Mrs Eric Parker, show some class, and respect for the 2nd greatest Charger in history, who will be in the HOF when he retires. It disgusts me how some people are ready to discard LT. Christ, Fouts was hurt every year for the last 4-5 years of his career, did you want to discard him to??

If LT was getting 1,800 yards, and 30 TD's, we wouldn't have a real balance to get the job done against the rest of the teams in the league.

• Like Like x 1
  5. English

English @tonywaters

Ratings:
    +92
    My view for what it is worth:

At the moment Sproles looks more dangerous than LT.

I don't care if LT will become more dynamic or more influential with more minutes. Sproles is currently the best performing RB and should start.

LT should regain his full fitness in practice and prove to Norv that he deserves to win back his place. He has the class to do so and it would be better to have a fully fit LT later in the year rather than see him struggle throughout.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    This why Norv is a much better coach than Marty. Marty put the entire load on LT. Thank god, Norv forced Rivers to grow up as a QB, take more of an offensive responsibilities, and create a more balanced offense. Can you imagine if LT played like he is 2 years ago? We'd be 8-8. AJ and Norv both saw that LT was getting older, and that we can't put both of our eggs in one basket. It seemed crazy at the time, but those first 5 loses last year were probably the most important in River's career.

The reason Sproles looks more dangerous right now than LT, is because teams stack the line when LT goes in. They expect a run, and they focus on him. With sproles, they are expecting a pass or screen (i know both passes). I think it's premature to think that sproles is truly playing better than LT right now. If he had to carry an entire game or two I don't think he'd be more productive. Let's not underestimate LT's role in Sproles' success.

One thing I will say is, if Sproles busts out a huge run and gets us with in 1st and goal he should get a chance to get the ball in the end zone. I love LT, but at least one of those tds belonged to sproles.

7. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I am legitimately concerned. I watched the Jets game again last night. There were many runs where LT had openings had he cut to the outside, but he wasn't even looking to go there. It's like he made up his mind to just run up the gut, without even looking at where the running lanes were.

On one play, the DE is falling towards LT, all LT had to do was sidestep and bounce outside, there was no containment, would've been a huge gain.

But LT was already leaning forward, preparing to wiggle under the pile up front. So the falling DE just lays one arm in front of LT's legs and down he goes.

It was worse than an arm tackle, I couldn't believe LT went down so easily.

Anyways, I think this is more than just a toe injury, or how the O-line is blocking. It has to do with lack of vision, lack of an attacking mentality, and being too willing to settle for two yard gains.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Exactly. No one is saying that LT is done (except maybe Poof), it's just that anyone, even a layperson can see the difference when you compare these two at THIS PRESENT TIME. LT has no prolonged burst right now. You can see the frustration on his face when Darren fills in for him. LT goes down with finger and foot tackles. He trips over almost everything because he's leaning forward so hard trying to compensate for his injury and has no real power in his step. Herein lies my biggest beef with Norv or player's coaches like him. Play your best man, whoever that may be, whenever that may be. LT will still get some reps, it's just that Sproles needs to start and get the brunt of the action right now. I'd love to hear someone interview LT or NORV right and just ask them. Be the HEAD COACH NORV...make the right call!

So many people were complaining about LT stting in the AFC Title game last year. After seeing the striking difference in these two right now...just as many people should be begging for him to step down for the time being. :bolt:

9. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Sold analysis Grid. I, personally, put most of it on his toe at this point. But I didn't notice that particular play that TK was talking about. I do specifically remember an arm tackle bringing LT down, and a play where LT clearly took about six steps to get close to what I remember his full speed being, both of which sucked.

One of LTs strongest qualities is the way he hits the line of scrimmage. Like in years past he is already at full speed (and hauling ***) by the time he takes the ball... and he does NOT have that so far this year. But I largely attribute that to the toe. He can't push off as hard, so he can't accelerate as fast. As a consequence, I think he's overcompensating. He's running to avoid losing yards rather than running to break out. I think this is the reason that it may seem like he's lacking the 'vision' department this season. Hopefully his toe will get better as will LT's play.

And Grid, while I agree with the idea that we need to play our best guy... if putting LT in the backfield means that the other team stacks the box to stop the run... play LT every down and throw the ball 60 ****ing times as far as I'm concerned. If LTs presence is going to mean single coverage somewhere, I don't care if he ever gets a touch. I agree that right now Sproles is playing like the better back, and given the same number of caries Sproles might even be more productive right now. But I almost like LT as a decoy more than Sproles as a back (and I really like Sproles, so that's not a dis).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Oh man, I'd love to have an attitude like yours working as our offensive coordinator :yes: This team is built to take whatever someone gives them. Hell, they'll even take more than they're supposed to. Look at what the stinkin Donkies did when they played the Bolts. The Chargers had been looking VERY vulnerable agaisnt the run. So does Shanarat come out running? Hell no! He saw an even bigger weakness in Cottrell's 10 yard, give em space pass defense. Norv needs to adjust, to deviate away from what they're trying to take away. Phuck em up!!!!

11. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I'm right there with ya buddy. :icon_toast:

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Folks need to get off LT's ***, last year he was a puss because he couldn't play in the Championship game. Now folks are biotching because he's playing through and injury.

Give the dude a break, none of us know exactly how he feels other than what we read. :icon_evil:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Agree with much above.

Get sproles the ball more - especially in open field.
    He aint a workhorse though.

14. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I knew exactly why he sat out last year's game and never dissed him...it was the RIGHT thing to do. Even my girlfriend, who knows little about the ins and outs of football, kept saying "why don't they put that 43 guy in there more instead of 21", during both of the last two games. It's plain for anyone to see, NO ONE is picking on him, he should just evaluate his performance level and do the right thing. Better yet, Norv should! Your toe doesn't get better carrying a football 26 times. As for those 26 carries..how far do you think 26 for 67 will take the Bolts against a stiffer opponent! He needs to get better first. The Chargers will need him a lot more later than they do now. Let him rest and recover.

15. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Very well said!!!!!!!!!:tup: I don't think LT needs to prove himself he just needs to allow himself to get well ie pain free.:yes:

16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    LT needs reps, sitting on the bench won't help him. He needs to get into game shape. If you think LT is hurting our offensive output then please prove it. Don't we lead the league in scoring?
    :icon_huh:

17. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Hmmm, well no, actually the Donkies do. Hey, I'm not arguing with you HEXEDBOLT and it's not that LT is hurting our offense exactly. It's just that Sproles is more effective right now..you won't find very many people on this forum who would disagree with that. LT could go through this offense in his sleep without the reps you spoke of. He didn't play any pre-season games, hit 97 YDs. on 22 carries against a strong Carolina defense, then hurt his toe on the last run he made. Since then it's been 10-26 and 26-67, against weak defenses while Sproles has run wild! I don't understand your reasoning honestly.

18. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Simple, it's called game shape. LT, isn't 22 anymore.

19. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Thinking back to the Jet game, I don't remember seeing the offense run the same plays for LT as they did For Sproles. It seemed to me that every running play to LT was the basic Marty off tackle play where LT has to hit whatever hole gets created by the line pulling to one side or the other.

Maybe we need to start finding different ways of using him. There's no question he's not the same, toe or not.

:icon_shrug:

20. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I disagree HEXED. I trust LTs judgment when it comes to his own health. If he says his toe is hurt, I'm inclined to believe him. Not to mention that he's playing like he's hurt, not like he's rusty. I agree that he needs reps, but I think he shouldn't be taking more than 1/2 the touches from the RB position right now.

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I don't think we can judge whether or not he is the same "toe or not" until and unless the toe is completely healed. No one in the league will be as spry as they were as a rookie, but the difference is in experience and quick recognition of patterns. Right now I'd use LT situationally until the toe is healthy. Reports say it's getting better and we'll get a read on it Sunday. Our offense has been scoring regardless, and right now our major problem has been an inconsistent defense and now ST's. So far LT has been looking terribly average, but that is due to the toe, from what I can see. It's in his stride and his inability to shift his weight like he can when he's healthy. He's running a little flat footed. When he tries to shift his weight he brings himself up short and runs vertical. He's not running with his weight forward enough because he can't yet flex the toe far enough.

• Like Like x 1
  22. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I watched the game again tonight and that really stood out. He's not on his toes at all and looks like a different runner. We need to do whatever it takes to get him well.

23. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

Spot on, right now we don't need a 100% LT. If however he can be used as more of a decoy and possibly get him in some situations that don't require him to bounce around, then do it. Unless it hampers the healing process.

In that case rest up, LT!! We need you in January !!!

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

24. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    IAD, I didn't have time to isolate the "arm tackle" play, but there are two others worth noting.

2nd qtr, 11:56 on the clock, the play right before the TD to Chambers. LT takes the handoff, there's a HUGE gap on the left, it is wide open, LT had a 35 yard touchdown if he'd just cut, didn't have to even be a sharp cut either. But as he did all game, LT was already leaning forward, both hands covering up the ball, trying to get his 2-4 yards. I don't put that on one his damn toe.

The other play I noticed was right before Gates' TD. Another run up the middle, LT actually has a nice hole, but again he is leaning forward, almost falling through the hole. If he ran hard with his knees high, it is a nice gain.

I am not a fan of this falling forward ****. :no:

• Like Like x 1
  25. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Certainly everyone is going to evaluate what they see in their own way. I however, do put it on his toe. When LT is on, he reminds me of Barry Sanders. He can start and stop and change direction, bounce around in the backfield and turn a 5 yard loss into a 3 yard gain. But that has totally not been his style so far this season. Like you observe he's leaning forward and seemingly lunging for short gains rather than looking for the home run. And like I said previously, I think it's a matter of over compensating. All that cutting, shifting, and stopping and starting demands that he literally be running on his toes. Hell sprint down the street and it's easy to feel that your toes and the front of your feet are really about the only thing touching the ground. And if LTs toe is ****ed up there is no way he can explode or accelerate in the typical fashion. If you watch him run he is very flat footed and literally not running on his toes.

I think he still sees all the lanes and knows where the big play is, but I think he's playing timid because he doesn't have confidence in his ability to get to full speed after changing direction. But that opinion is definitely colored by the fact that I don't WANT to believe that he's on the decline, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for as long as I possibly can. :yes: :bolt:

26. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    has anyone called anyone else a poopy head in this thread yet? I dont want to be the first....

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You're a poopy head. :lol:

There, now the pressure is off. :yes:

LT gets healthy this weekend against the Turds.

28. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I do believe Norv said in one of his conferences that LT isn't seeing some of the holes that are open. He needs more rep's, LT even said not playing during preseason huers him a bit at the start of the year. So, if they both agree then I would be lead to belive they are right and you are just giving us your opinion.

It's on Chargers.com, so you can go over there and find out. All's cool, I just want him in game shape and it should be soon, same with Jamal.

29. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    last year at this point L.T had almost the same exact numbers as this year and he went on to gain his second straight rushing title look forward to seeing him have a huge game against the faiders ,what we need to watch for this week is the new trend direct snap to te running back for the faiders . The raiders have a new owner >>>>>>L.T i bleed blue and gold

30. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

At it again TK? I think I heard the same thing back in 06......

Haven't you learned to not question LT yet? I have never seen a player that produces year in and year out as consistently as LT has throughout his career. He's getting older, absolutely. He's lost some speed, and some burst, but I still have no doubts about his ability. He usually starts slow, and this year is no exception. LT's ability as a football player is the least of my concern right now.