1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LT doutbful, confirms injury

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    January 7, 2009

Associated Press

SAN DIEGO -- LaDainian Tomlinson confirmed Wednesday that he has a torn tendon in his groin and listed himself as doubtful for the San Diego Chargers' playoff game at Pittsburgh on Sunday.

It's definitely torn," Tomlinson said after sitting out Wednesday's practice. "I can't really elaborate on it because I don't want to give too much information away."

Tomlinson was hurt in a 52-21 rout of the Denver Broncos in the regular-season finale on Dec. 28 that clinched the AFC West title. The team has listed him as having a strained groin.

"If it was a strain I'd be able to play with it, trust me," Tomlinson said. "A lot of guys have strains."

Reports surfaced prior to Saturday's wild-card win against the Indianapolis Colts that Tomlinson has a detached tendon that connects one of his groin muscles to his pubic bone.

Tomlinson started against the Colts but came out after scoring on a 3-yard run early in the second quarter. With Darren Sproles filling in, the Chargers won 23-17 in overtime.

Tomlinson said this injury has been tougher than any he's had during his brilliant eight-year career.

"It feels like something is tearing away from my leg. That's how I know that it's messed up because before, when I've had groin injuries, I haven't felt that," said Tomlinson, the NFL MVP in 2006 who set league records that year with 31 touchdowns and 186 points. "Whenever you feel a popping or like it's tearing, that's usually not good."

NFL teams don't give an injured player's status until Friday. But Tomlinson said his status is doubtful, meaning there's a 75 percent chance he won't play.

"That's pretty much what I feel like I'm at," said Tomlinson, the franchise's most brutally honest employee.

Has he been ruled out of the game?
    "No. Not yet," he added.

If the Chargers keep winning, there might be a chance Tomlinson could return.

"I think it's possible," he said. "I'm never going to rule it out. I'll have to start to feel much better, though."

Tomlinson said there's a chance he could make the injury worse if he continued to play "and do some of the things I have to do. Who knows how much? Once again, I don't even know if it's going to require surgery."

Tomlinson had a 13-yard gain on the first play from scrimmage Saturday night but said his leg was dragging.

"That's why I said earlier that that game was just all pure determination of trying to just push it and trying to do as much as I could and go," he said. "But it was clear from the first carry that I couldn't pick my leg up and explode and it did feel like it was dragging."

While happy with the team's success, Tomlinson said it's frustrating dealing with another injury in the playoffs.

Last year he sprained his left knee in a divisional game against the Colts and then aggravated it and missed the final 3½ quarters of the AFC Championship Game loss to the New England Patriots.

"I don't think anybody can know the frustration, to be honest with you," he said. "It's tough dealing with it. I really sometimes just want to go home and just stay at home and lock myself up and not even go into public, just because all my life, all I've ever wanted to do is play football and, you know, win a championship. And to feel so helpless, to be at this point where we have a chance to do it and again, I can't do anything about it, I can't play, it's like I'm being punished for something. It's tough to deal with."

Limited early in the season by a toe injury, Tomlinson gained a career-low 1,110 yards this season.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Someone please hide his uniform this week and tie him to the bench.

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I don't think how any of us can know just how helpless LT feels.

4. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Gates spilled the beans on PTI this afternoon.

5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    :sad:

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    church

7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I had a feeling this was going to be officially announced. I myself am feeling we have to go into Sundays game thinking LT absolutely cannot play. I know this is a big blow to the offense, but I have a feeling this team is going to respond and pull out a victory. We've played all year without our big gun on Defense (Lights) and now we won't have our big gun on offense. It's up to the rest of the guys we have left to man up Sunday! Sproles, Bennett, Hester, and mix in some Tolbert. Guys are going to have to MAN UP on this team to get it done and I think they will. Someone you least expect like a Bennett, Hester or Legado will have a great day and do some great things I feel. The odds are against us, we're the underdog in a hostile environment going against the No. 1 defense. But you know what? I think this team bands together and finds a way to get the W.

In the famous words of John "Bluto" Blutarsky on Animal House:

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"