1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Lt-Express/Matilack/Buck Melanoma Mock Draft Version 1.0 2 Rounds

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Mar 8, 2010.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Hey guys this is a mock draft that Buck Melanoma/Matilack/and myself put together last night. We did 2 rounds for fun so that everyone would have something to chat about for the next week or so.

This was not the site mock. Just something I had them come in and put together with me.

1) Stl- Sam Bradford QB/Oklahoma

2) Det- Ndamukong Suh DT/Nebraska

3) TBay- Gerald McCoy DT/Oklahoma

4) Wash- Russell Okung OT/Oklahoma St

5) KC- Eric Berry S/Tennessee

6) Sea- Jimmy Clausen QB/Notre Dame

7) Clev- Joe Haden CB/Florida

8) Oak- Bruce Campbell OT/Maryland

9) Buff- Anthony Davis OT/Rutgers

10) Jax- Derrick Morgan DE/Georgia Tech

11) Den- Rolando McClain LB/Alabama

12) Miami- Dan Williams NT/Tennessee

13) SF- Trent Williams OT/Oklahoma

14) Sea- Bryan Bulaga OT/Iowa

15) NYG- Earl Thomas S/Texas

16) Tenn- Jason Pierre-Paul DE/South Florida

17) SF- CJ Spiller RB/Clemson

18) Pitt- Mike Iupati/OG Idaho

19) Atl- Everson Griffen DE/USC

20) Hou- Kyle Wilson CB/Boise St

21) Cin- Dez Bryant WR/Oklahoma St

22) NE- Jermaine Gresham TE/Oklahoma

23) GB- Taylor Mays S/USC

24) Phil- Sean Weatherspoon LB/Missouri

25) Balt- Kareem Jackson CB/Alabama

26) Ariz- Charles Brown OT/USC

27) Dal- Golden Tate WR/Notre Dame

28) SD- Ryan Matthews RB/Fresno St

29) NYJ- Jared Odrick DE/Penn St

30) Minn- Brian Price DT/UCLA

31) Indy- Brandon Graham DE/OLB Michigan

32) NO- Carlos Dunlap DE/OLB Florida

Round 2

33) Stl- Arrellious Benn WR/Illinois

34) Det- Patrick Robinson CB/Florida St

35) TB- Demaryius Thomas WR/Georgia Tech

36) KC- Terrance Cody DT Alabama

37) Wash- Jahvid Best RB California

38) Clev- Jerry Hughes OLB/DE TCU

39) Oak- Lamarr Houston DT/Texas

40) Sea- Jonathon Dwyer RB/Georgia Tech

41) Buf- Colt McCoy QB/Texas

42) TB- Devin McCourty CB/Rutgers

43) Mia- Sergio Kindle LB/Texas

44) NE- Corey Wooten DE/Northwestern

45) Den- Damian Williams WR/USC

46) NYG- Navarro Bowman LB/Penn St

47) Caro- Dan Lefevour QB/Central Michigan

48) NE- Ricky Sapp LB/Clemson

49) SF- Brandon Ghee CB/Wake Forest

50) Hou- Toby Gerhart RB/Stanford

51) KC- Maurkice Pouncey C/Florida

52) Pitt- Nate Allen FS/South Florida

53) NE- Tyson Alualu DT/California

54) Cin- Aaron Hernandez TE/Florida

55) Phil- Chad Jones S/LSU

56) GB- Vladimir Ducasse OG/Massachusets

57) Balt- Brandon Spikes/LB Florida

58) Ariz- Perrish Cox CB/Oklahoma St

59) Dal- Rodger Saffold OT/Indiana

60) SD- Cam Thomas DT/North Carolina

61) NYJ- Brandon Lafell WR/LSU

62) Minn- Dominique Franks CB/Oklahoma

63) Ind- Jared Veldheer OT/Hillsdale

64) NO- Pat Angerer LB/Iowa

2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    One or two things have changed. The big one is cb hayden only ran a 4.6 so his draft value dropped. Possibly alot. My fear is my guy kyle wilson will then move up to be the #1 cb.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yeah it was tough, not every pick was unanimous. But Hadens does play fast in pads, and I think the official time was closer to 4.5 actually.

4. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Cam as our R2 pick...did Buck influence you guys, there? I still have yet to see enough of the guy, but I hear nothing but good things.

I saw him once, and he was a monster in the middle for that game.

5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    That was me and buck.:yes: I liked how he collapsed the pocket and sacked Jarrett Brown. I liked his leverage and pop at the point of attack. I liked how the 330lbs he's carrying is more in his trunk than in his gut like Terrance Cody.

But your right I havn't seen much video other than a couple highlight reels and the senior bowl. But the scouts rave about him, and most credible ones have him ranked as a mid-late 2nd rounder.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Honestly - I'm not a big fan of Thomas, but he can fill a need. With us re-signing both Boone & Garay, I'm not sure that we'll target many DL's. And with Cody & Williams gone, Thomas becomes the next guy who looks to be a true NT.

I must make a disclaimer - I deferred to Matilack on our 1st pick. We differ in our approach to the RB situation. Either could be right - he feels we need to address early while I'm a later round guy. I think LT-Express falls somewhere in the middle on that issue. He's a Dwyer fan - me & matilack, not so much.

It was fun to do this. We actually agreed on a lot more picks than we disagreed. For me, the draft is an exciting time of the year - a chance to see who the next crop of NFL stars will be. Some of these guys I've watched for 3-4 yrs., others not as much. What we did here is a somewhat educated guess. Please pick & pull at it - we did this to generate interest & healthy debate. Hope you all have as much fun dissecting it as we had doing it.

7. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    I beg to differ a bit here. lol. I play the percentages on AJ Smith on this subject. I do not think that we will draft Dwyer. I just am backing up a guy who often gets bashed on this site, that I think will surprise many of you.

I play the percentages with AJ meaning, that with his success of finding 4-7 round RB gems *cough* Sproles/Turner etc...*cough* I think that he will be more inclined to take someone like Anthony Dixon, Montario Hardesty (if he is there late) etc.

And for the record I was also one that likes Cam Thomas. I lived in South Carolina for the past 3 years. Living 2 hours from Chapel Hill tends to get you a lot of Duke, UNC, Clemson, and South Carolina games.

Look out for Eric Norwood...

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I stand corrected. :yes:

Cam Thomas is a fallback position at NT for me, behind Cody & Williams who were off the board at 60.

9. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Thomas is definetly behind Williams.

And if Cody continues to get his work ethic in order, he has the talent to be a serious space eater and a potential Vince Wilfork clone.

I always said if Cody could play consistently around 330 and in good shape he would be dominant. We shall see if he can keep up the good work. But his effort so far may have landed him back in the first round.

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I remember when I was up for drafting, boy was I sweating bullets.:icon_eek:

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm not knocking Williams - he's a good athlete for a man of his size. What I don't see is where he brings what Cody has the potential to bring. Cody's big knock is the weight issue.

I'm serious when I say draft him & hire a FT trainer/nutritionist to keep him on target for staying in shape. He may never be more than a 2-down guy, but what he can bring on those 2 downs is pretty rare.

If he survived & played in the drill sgt. Saban environment, he can make it in the NFL. :yes:

12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Potential is a dangerous word.:yes: And if Saban couldn't get the guy in shape what makes you think anyone else can? And if he did weigh 330 and played like he did this last year we wouldn't be talking about this guy for the first 4 rounds, right now his massive size is all he's got going for him to keep teams interested.

I think he's a mid 2nd round guy, if AJ wants him at proper value he's going to have to move up in the 2nd round. Otherwise this turns into a Buster Davis like pick where we reach to fill a need.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Saban kept him in playing shape. And I would prefer him in the 2nd, but doubt he lasts until 60 & have no way of knowing if AJ will move around. The fact that Cody came to the combine 16 lbs. lighter shows me an interest in making the right moves. I doubt that he'll ever play at 330 - that's lighter than Jamal or Wilfork, only 5 lbs. more than Martin.

Cody has much more of shot at really helping this defense, even at 28, than Buster ever had at making a big impact. I think you're underestimating the value of a guy who can consistently tie up 2 blockers & allow our linebackers to make plays.

14. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I would rather take a shot on that huge OL from hillsdale (???) to replace clary but would be happy with Thomas

Like Buck, im not that high on thomas, but we do need a NT and hes the best available

15. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Thomas comes with pros and cons.....

He has great burst, and a really good push up front....

However, his footwork isn't the best, and lacks some of the more dominant techniques that a 3-4 NT should have. Both which can be corrected at the next level.

The massive OT from Hillsdale you were referring to is Jared Veldheer....and he is a beast but also comes with some areas he needs to improve drastically on.

16. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    The thing I hate about mocks this year is that we all know it's not going to look anything like this on draft day. :no:

I don't think the Raiders will go with Cambell. I think they'll go with either McClain or even Dez Bryant. Trying to predict what Al Davis is going to do is an exercise in futility, but I think Cambell will drop in the draft. (I wonder if he could play DE or TE?)
    The Broncos will get another first for Marshall.
    The Rams signed DT Fred Robbins, so I doubt they go with Suh.
    The 49ers will probably go OT and S or trade down.

I look at my own mock draft now and I feel like I'm completely wrong on at least half my choices. So are you. :yes:

17. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    lol, thx captain obvious for sharing with us that every single one of these picks will NOT BE RIGHT.

I am sure that all three of us will sleep better tonight not having to worry about any of us being wrong here. This is just something that we did because FA is boring for SD fans because we do little to nothing in it. So I asked for the help of Matilack, and Buck Melanoma to put out a mock for everyone to play around with.

The object of putting out mocks is to SEE HOW CLOSE YOU GET, not be right on every pick.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Wanna place a little bet on whether we draft Best or not? :lol:

19. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    LMFAO!! Ya that's not going to happen either.

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I don't think Thomas isn't anywhere near as dominant as Cody is as an NT BUT Thomas carries ALOT less risk of failure.

Even when he was overweight at the senior bowl, Cody looked unblockable at times and constantly took up double teams. With a good pro day and coming into that day weighing a little less, he could seriously be in contention for the Chargers at 28.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Exactly, Ant. Thomas will be a consolation prize compared to Cody. With a guy like him eating up blockers, our ILB's are free to make plays & our OLB's get more 1-on-1 matchups.

22. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    I'm not sure anywhere on this thread anyone said anything about Thomas being as dominant as Cody?

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    With all the talk about acquiring another NT besides Williams (who will be gone) and Cody, I just wanted to add my $0.02. I wasn't being specifically critical to anyone but wanted to note that with most other players you might be less of a risk but far less of a reward.

24. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    What about Lamarr Houston or Geno Atkins who beasted at the Senior Bowl and beat Mike Iupati many times in round 2?

25. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    I am not so sure Lamarr Houston will be there at #60. And I am 100% sure I wouldn't want to trade up for him.

As far as Geno Atkins...ehh I not all that high on him.

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Both of these guys are 3 tech DT's, not NT's. If Rivera wants to move towards more of a base 4-3 look, then either could get attention from the Chargers. Otherwise, not so much.

Iupati has a lot of upside, but he also committed a lot more holding penalties than he got called for. He needs to learn to bend his knees more, keep his feet moving, strengthen his initial punch, & stop getting over-extended which leads to his grabbing the defender. All correctable faults with good coaching. Love his nasty mauler attitude.

27. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    If your looking for an under ther radar NT, look up Torrell Troup. Only weighs about 315-320, but he crushed out 34 reps at the combine, and scouts say he could make the transition.

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I know that he's a new popular flavor for some at NT, but I honestly haven't checked him out other than a glimpse at the combine.

What's your take on him?

29. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I think he's too slow to be a 4-3 DT and he has trouble getting pressure, but he's too small (at the moment) to be a legit NT. If the guy can gain some lean weight without sacrificing too much mobility, I can see him being a solid 2nd round pick for us. Right now most have him in the 3-4 range.

30. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    With Cody losing the weight he has, he is looking better and better as a possible #1.