1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

LT - I'm Confused

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Sep 18, 2008.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Read full article.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    No... I'm confused.

1500 yards rushing last season even with questionable O-line play and offensive production at the beginning of the season.

Then he gets injured. Since, 97 yards against the Panthers. Respectable. Not every game is going to be 160 yards rushing. Then he agravates his injury against the Broncos.

So his point is that Tomlinson is not a cyborg?

I think if this guy looks at the stats he'll see that LT was running behind the left side of the line a weeeee bit more than the right. Just a little. Let's see McNeil... check. Deilman... check. The stars aligning for a once in a lifetime type of season (even for LT)... check.

Yeah. That's the point. The offense as a whole is no longer pathetic and there isn't the need to end the career of a 29 year old running back by making him the only option on the field. Sorry to tell him but to get to a SuperBowl you need more than one guy.

In summary... what is this guy's point? I'm confused.

3. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    He's got a lot of factual errors.

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    QFT!!!

Shawne Merriman said it last night on 1360 [i'm paraphrasing here but this is the jist...] LT is always supposedly "losing a step", some how that always gets said - yet he still has the stats of a super star. Not every run is going to be HUGE, not every game will be a 150 yard game, He has to perform in spite of being a target. Teams game plan around him, that's how good he is and yet he still overcomes.

Because he doesn't do exactly what people think he should do in the few seconds the cameras are on him when he's on the sidelines he's somehow become a wuss, a whiner, and overrated. He was able to shine a little brighter when he was the brightest star on our offense, now there are others to share the limelight. Anyone hear LT complaining? Nope. Why? Because on top of being a spectacular athlete he's also a pretty awesome human being. He makes sacrifices for the better of the team, He supports his teammates, He gets upset when he can't contribute because HE WANTS TO WIN. I thought that was the point of playing the game right?

5. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    I just have one thing to say L.T is a beast period.

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    two words

McNeil

Hardwick

when they return you'll see a different LT

:tup::tup::tup:

7. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    He falls down after first contact more gracefully than any RB in the NFL. I mean it takes real talent to fall just right so you get at least 1 yard on those dives up the middle where he trips on a defenders fingernail.

His proficiency at career preservation is stunning.

And his soup commercials are awesome too.

8. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:
    :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

9. Chuck F.

Ratings:
    +37

It sucks...but it's true.

Where did the pre 2006 playoff post game rant LT go? Because since that very moment...he has not been the same.

10. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    pretty general statement

he had a pretty good season last year, no?

until he got hurt, and, his o-line got banged up

:icon_shrug:

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    LT needs to sit and get healthy.

Plain and simple.

12. Chuck F.

Ratings:
    +37
    He did have a very good regular season....that is when he wasn't showing the starting QB or head coach up on the sideline during games....which never happened before last season.

13. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

he WAS injured in the playoffs.

I will however, agree that he is not the same player he was (emotionally) as when the previous QB was here

:icon_sad:

14. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    LT is the ultimate team player. 2006 he was runnung with broken ribs. 2007 he was the target of the NFL due to that stupid commercial where he smoked the Bear's 'D'. Still had a great season. Pulls himself out of a game because his replacement was more effective. Sure he was bummed. But he did it for the team.

Now that we are 2 games into this season and all he can do is run for 97 yds in week one with an injury and 29 yards in the second game, only to let his "nephew" tear up the feild and get 300+ all purpose yards.

What a selfish, slumping old man. NOT!

Dude has team written all over him. :tup:

LT, this Guiness is for you. May we all aspire to be as humble and talented. :icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    :lol:

Hyperbole = you

Fact =
    2007: 1474 yards
    2006: 1815 yards
    2005: 1482 yards
    2004: 1335 yards
    2003: 1645 yards
    2002: 1683 yards
    2001: 1236 yards

I'm not even going to make you look more (edit: i initially was a little harsh) unfounded than you already do by listing his recieving yardage or TDs.

EDIT: As for right now. Panthers 97 yards and then injured. Drawing conclusions at this point is pretty ridiculous. Once he's healed up judge him by his actual performace rather than your wounded psyche. Based on the stats above alone he deserves at least that much. Anything else is more hyperbole.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Chuck F.

Ratings:
    +37
    As I stated....pre-2007, LT was a different player. You can mention his 1474 yards in '07 all you want. He also showed up his QB and coach on the sideline a number of times, sulked in the playoffs on the bench and pretty much just plain old has not been the same. I am sorry but like all of you, I've seen every game in LT's career and my eyes don't lie when they see a different running back. He rarely runs with authority and like I stated earlier, pretty much falls down on first contact or ducks and slides under a tackle. LT puts his numbers up...no doubt. But we've also seen him be invisible against good defenses countless times throughout his career.

Fortunately, the Chargers can win without him. The NFL is a plug in and play league for backs anyway. As long as Rivers can keep chucking it with success, LT and Sproles will be fine.

17. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    And yet, what has that gotten us? You can blame Marty, Cottrell or Norv all you want because he can not do it alone! Sure, those are great individual stats but what do we have to show for it? Last year I believe was a little insight that we need less LT and more Rivers. Once we find that right mixture of run/pass we will move on.

Defense allowed.

18. Chuck F.

Ratings:
    +37

What's up bro?:icon_toast:

19. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I was just wondering how we went 11-6 last season? :icon_huh:

• Like Like x 1
  20. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Hey, what's going on?

I hear what your saying and can't really disagree. What kills me is that LT definitely isn't the same and I can't help but feel that he is actually hurting this team by playing right now. What we had Turner filling in for LT many said that he was successful because he is a different type of runner. Now Sproles comes in and he is a gap runner with speed and stop on a dime type of runner (similar to LT) and he is getting a hell of alot more yardage then LT right now. Best thing for LT to do is to sit for a while without his pride getting hurt. I applaud his desire to want to get in but he just isn't getting it done.

Been a long time since I've been up your way. Finally bought a house down here in Martinsville (part of Bridgewater) and got my Direct TV hooked up couple weeks ago. My sister thinks it sucks because she use to enjoy me coming up every Sunday to watch the games.

21. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Why dont we just let L.T go and pick up travis henry tht works for me

22. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    What would another season be without this thread. It happens every single year........

23. Chuck F.

Ratings:
    +37
    Nah...I'll pass on that.:lol:

24. Chuck F.

Ratings:
    +37

Didn't you say your sister lived in Lafayette? If so that's right around the corner from me...I live in Newton and work in Sparta.

Bridgewater huh? Trying to think if I have any gigs coming up around there...probably not. I used to play in Morristown a lot. Probably the closest place would be believe it or not..Atlantic Highlands. I have a steady Monday night gig there......big Bruce Springsteen area and Bon Jovi also. Springsteen pops in and gets take out about a block away from the place I play. Who knows. One night a buddy of mine was playing a block away and Bon Jovi and his wife were having dinner at the place. Jon hopped up on stage and jammed with my friend. The two of them are notorious for popping into local bars and jamming with the musicians.

Anyway...enough hijacking of the thread......we should cross paths one weekend and catch a game. I'll PM you if i'm in your neck of the wooks and you do the same if vice versa.:icon_toast:

25. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    So it's not his production you have a problem with it's his style. You want him to look different when he runs so you will find it more interesting to watch.

Cool. All you had to do was say so.

26. Chuck F.

Ratings:
    +37
    I was never into stat whores or fantasy numbers.

Play BIG on the BIG stage against BIG time defenses when it counts most.

27. twilight15

twilight15 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I remember a little talk like this last year at the beginning...
    faintly, but I recall...
    LT didn't produce; the whole thread cracks down...
    he ends the season with 1,474 and 15 rushing touchdowns...
    Also, went to the AFC Championship game.

Hmm...
    Why don't we all just sit back and wait till week 8 or 9 to start makin a fuss...

28. Chuck F.

Ratings:
    +37

He is a notoriously slow starter for sure. If he gets healthy, he'll put up his numbers again.

29. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

I understand your point(s).

Thing is, this is a team sport. See Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Earl Campbell, etc.

There's more to it than just showing up in big games

The rest of the team needs to show up as well

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

30. Chuck F.

Ratings:
    +37

Agreed.:icon_toast: